Australian Aged Pension

7 hours ago, Lacessit said:

For the record, you have not produced one shred of evidence which confirms your assertion the majority of welfare recipients are dole bludgers. Show me the data on that government website that segregates said people from people in genuine need. Try posting numbers instead of assertions.

Noted you won't go anywhere near my challenge to live on $23 per day for a month. Perhaps you'd like to be over 60, with age discrimination from employers rife in Australia, and try for living on $50 more a fortnight. Let's make it a year. That would probably put you into the homeless column.

You are peddling the same line as the Minerals Council, the multinationals will pack up and leave. A display of your utter naivety. Australia has a stable political system with low corruption. Compared to some of the perilous places they operate, it's a dream ride. Google Kingsgate Gold to see what can happen in other bailiwicks. See how many billions Exxon, Mobil and BP have had to walk away from in Russia.

The largest companies in Australia are banks or mining. How do any of those pack up and leave?

Off topic and troll posts removed.

Topic goes back to 2008 regret I am not going to go through 166 pages to find what is on or off topic, so stay on topic within the the topic title.

Australian Aged Pension

• Thanks 1

Living on a farm in Chanthaburi with wife of 17 years and 15 year old son.
Recently vested for the OAP.

Having been in the highest tax bracket in Oz for-40 years, it is not feasible to do two years jail in Oz to qualify for OAP.

Grossly unfair, but ain’t going back to qualify.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MAF666 said:

Having been in the highest tax bracket in Oz for-40 years, it is not feasible to do two years jail in Oz to qualify for OAP.

Would you get any if you did. Really just do the sums, big return if you live a long  life.IMO.

46 minutes ago, MAF666 said:

The way I understand it, if one is in Australia when they qualify for the age pension, there is no problem obtaining it. It's only when one is overseas the two years jail kicks in.

I agree it is unfair; however, the situation is avoidable with a little bit of planning.

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

The way I understand it, if one is in Australia when they qualify for the age pension, there is no problem obtaining it. It's only when one is overseas the two years jail kicks in.

I agree it is unfair; however, the situation is avoidable with a little bit of planning.

Sure.

-$1000 per month, reducing after 183 days would be useful.

The last 3 years living here, and not having to survive on $33 per day during the 2 year qualifying period is a no brainer to not pursue this option.

• Confused 2

12 minutes ago, MAF666 said:

Sure.

-$1000 per month, reducing after 183 days would be useful.

The last 3 years living here, and not having to survive on $33 per day during the 2 year qualifying period is a no brainer to not pursue this option.

$1000 f/n for the rest of your life is a no brainer, think you need a calculater! ????

2 hours ago, MAF666 said:

-If your Assets and Income numbers are under the max* then you might well qualify for a part OAP or even the full OAP.

Search Centrelink: assets and income statement.

-You say 'jail',  that's over the top, it's not anything like that, and it's what you make it, keeping in mind the ultimate benefits.

-You're entitled to full Medicare while your on Oz soil and if need for major surgery etc., you go back and Medicare kicks in immediately.

-Yes it's two years. But you can depart Oz and return a number of times each year a few weks each time and the accumulation of the two years isn't disturbed when you take these breaks. In other words the 'clock' doesn't stop and restart. At Oz passport control they don't ask questions.

-The 2 years starts from the day you return, NOT from the day your OAP is approved.

-Years ago many reports of Centrelink staff being unhelpful, rude, abusive etc., etc. All changed, my Experience with the local big Centrelink office was totally pleasant, friendly, focused, helpful, good listeners and productive., and best outcome for the client (you) always the objective.  I have no complaints whatever.  

-Unless there's some complication (unlikely) only needs one visit to Centrelink, to prove your identity and to get a CRN (Centrelink Reference number). (Prove ID: birth certificate, passport, 3 photo ID cards (they accepted my Thai drivers license), Oz bank statement with the address where you are actually living, and 1 or 2 utility statements, must have your namd and must be the sddress you state as your residential address in OZ. Think about all of this in advance, easy enough to get it together.)

- You can submit the 2 OAP application documents on paper or on line. I took my completed application forms with me the day I went in to prove ID / get my CRN. I put them on the side of the C.Link officers desk (very pleasant lady maybe early 30s), she asked "Is that your OAP application? "Yes."  'Do you want me to scan it to see if there's anything of any concern / anything not completed?" "Yes please". She went question by question then said "It's complete and nothing that might cause any complications, do you want me to submit to Canberra on the big scan machine over there?"  "Yes please." "OK please sign here."Ten seconds later a confirmation of receipt with my CRN. 

-Processing of your OAP application 100%/99% computerized, all done in Canberra, local Centrelink ofifce not involved with actual processing.

-I got a pleasant call 18 days after I submtted "All approved". Backpay in my bank account the next afternoon. Other more recent reports of approval at 14 days.

-After the 2 years you have 'Portability' (payment is portable for life, can be anywhere in the world). If you do go abroad they change you to 4 weekly payments. My 4 weekly payments are transferred automatically from Oz gov't to my K Bank savings account. The account can be your name or can be a joint a/c, can be only you sign withdrawals etc., or can be either party can sign. 

-If you search you can find many very cheap flights. Friend just get a flight Don Muang to KL to Jakarta to Denpasar - Bali to Melbourne, 17,000Baht return. Lots of stops but great price.  

-As mentioned, do the numbers (the OAP rate is fairly generous, adjusted for cost of living etc., twice every year and there's talk of bumping it higher). A rough number 40,000Baht every 4 weeks isn't that bad (A lot better than nothing and it's regular. And keep in mind 'What other income would you have at 80, 90, 95 ++ years old?' 

PM me if you want.

Good luck.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, scorecard said:

-If your Assets and Income numbers are under the max* then you might well qualify for a part OAP or even the full OAP.

Search Centrelink: assets and income statement.

-You say 'jail',  that's over the top, it's not anything like that, and it's what you make it, keeping in mind the ultimate benefits.

-You're entitled to full Medicare while your on Oz soil and if need for major surgery etc., you go back and Medicare kicks in immediately.

-Yes it's two years. But you can depart Oz and return a number of times each year a few weks each time and the accumulation of the two years isn't disturbed when you take these breaks. In other words the 'clock' doesn't stop and restart. At Oz passport control they don't ask questions.

-The 2 years starts from the day you return, NOT from the day your OAP is approved.

-Years ago many reports of Centrelink staff being unhelpful, rude, abusive etc., etc. All changed, my Experience with the local big Centrelink office was totally pleasant, friendly, focused, helpful, good listeners and productive., and best outcome for the client (you) always the objective.  I have no complaints whatever.  

-Unless there's some complication (unlikely) only needs one visit to Centrelink, to prove your identity and to get a CRN (Centrelink Reference number). (Prove ID: birth certificate, passport, 3 photo ID cards (they accepted my Thai drivers license), Oz bank statement with the address where you are actually living, and 1 or 2 utility statements, must have your namd and must be the sddress you state as your residential address in OZ. Think about all of this in advance, easy enough to get it together.)

- You can submit the 2 OAP application documents on paper or on line. I took my completed application forms with me the day I went in to prove ID / get my CRN. I put them on the side of the C.Link officers desk (very pleasant lady maybe early 30s), she asked "Is that your OAP application? "Yes."  'Do you want me to scan it to see if there's anything of any concern / anything not completed?" "Yes please". She went question by question then said "It's complete and nothing that might cause any complications, do you want me to submit to Canberra on the big scan machine over there?"  "Yes please." "OK please sign here."Ten seconds later a confirmation of receipt with my CRN. 

-Processing of your OAP application 100%/99% computerized, all done in Canberra, local Centrelink ofifce not involved with actual processing.

-I got a pleasant call 18 days after I submtted "All approved". Backpay in my bank account the next afternoon. Other more recent reports of approval at 14 days.

-After the 2 years you have 'Portability' (payment is portable for life, can be anywhere in the world). If you do go abroad they change you to 4 weekly payments. My 4 weekly payments are transferred automatically from Oz gov't to my K Bank savings account. The account can be your name or can be a joint a/c, can be only you sign withdrawals etc., or can be either party can sign. 

-If you search you can find many very cheap flights. Friend just get a flight Don Muang to KL to Jakarta to Denpasar - Bali to Melbourne, 17,000Baht return. Lots of stops but great price.  

-As mentioned, do the numbers (the OAP rate is fairly generous, adjusted for cost of living etc., twice every year and there's talk of bumping it higher). A rough number 40,000Baht every 4 weeks isn't that bad (A lot better than nothing and it's regular. And keep in mind 'What other income would you have at 80, 90, 95 ++ years old?' 

PM me if you want.

Good luck.

Appreciate the detailed response.

I am well aware of the process.

My experience with Clink has always been good.

2 years in Oz living in poverty on $33 per day to qualify for a reduced pension after 183 days is just not worth it for me.

8 hours ago, MAF666 said:

2 years in Oz living in poverty on $33 per day to qualify for a reduced pension after 183 days is just not worth it for me.

What are you living on now, and I don't mean the dollar figure? 

I don't disagree with you.  By the time you buy / rent a place, furnish it, and then contend with the high cost of living, you would want to hope you live a long life to get back what you put in to the 2 year prison sentence. 

I know a guy that did his 2 year sentence with his Thai wife in a mobile home, traveling around Australia.  When the 2 years were up, he sold the vehicle and went straight back to Thailand. 

8 hours ago, scorecard said:

Yes it's two years. But you can depart Oz and return a number of times each year a few weks each time and the accumulation of the two years isn't disturbed when you take these breaks. In other words the 'clock' doesn't stop and restart.

Do you have a link for this? 

1 hour ago, KhunHeineken said:

What are you living on now, and I don't mean the dollar figure? 

I don't disagree with you.  By the time you buy / rent a place, furnish it, and then contend with the high cost of living, you would want to hope you live a long life to get back what you put in to the 2 year prison sentence. 

I know a guy that did his 2 year sentence with his Thai wife in a mobile home, traveling around Australia.  When the 2 years were up, he sold the vehicle and went straight back to Thailand. 

We live on a 10 Rai farm in Chanthaburi which provides most of our food and a small  income selling produce locally.

Looking at adjacent land sales it would cost us 130% more to buy our property today.

Building costs maybe a similar hike.

You win some, you lose some.

The lifestyle is priceless.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, ozfarang said:

The statement of @scorecardis correct. 

Go to Services Australia and you can find reference to the two year portability requirements

scorecard's the forum's Centrelink expert.   I thought he may have a link on hand to confirm to members his information.

Anyway, I had a quick look and found this.

https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/travel-outside-australia-rules-for-age-pension?context=22526

"Your payment may stop if all of the following apply. You:

come back to Australia to live

start getting Age Pension after you return

travel outside Australia during the next 2 years after you returned.

Your payment may be able to continue if you travel to a country we have a social security agreement with."

Thailand was not on the list Australia has an agreement with. 

Also found this information on a Super website.

https://www.ngssuper.com.au/articles/news/age-pension-travelling-overseas

"First, you need to apply for the age pension when you’re living in Australia — not while overseas. Once you start receiving the age pension, you normally need to stay in Australia for at least 2 years before you can go overseas — otherwise, your pension payments may stop while you’re travelling. It’s best to confirm your conditions with Services Australia before you make any plans."

I was just after a link confirming you could travel overseas during the 2 year period, as scorecard claims, and for how long, or how many times, without it effecting anything.

Coincidentally, that Super site also confirmed this, which is related to the proposed changes to non resident tax.

Is the age pension taxable?

Yes — the age pension is counted as taxable income. You can ask Services Australia to deduct tax from your payment so you don’t need to pay it when you lodge your tax return.

2 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

scorecard's the forum's Centrelink expert.   I thought he may have a link on hand to confirm to members his information.

Anyway, I had a quick look and found this.

https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/travel-outside-australia-rules-for-age-pension?context=22526

"Your payment may stop if all of the following apply. You:

come back to Australia to live

start getting Age Pension after you return

travel outside Australia during the next 2 years after you returned.

Your payment may be able to continue if you travel to a country we have a social security agreement with."

Thailand was not on the list Australia has an agreement with. 

Also found this information on a Super website.

https://www.ngssuper.com.au/articles/news/age-pension-travelling-overseas

"First, you need to apply for the age pension when you’re living in Australia — not while overseas. Once you start receiving the age pension, you normally need to stay in Australia for at least 2 years before you can go overseas — otherwise, your pension payments may stop while you’re travelling. It’s best to confirm your conditions with Services Australia before you make any plans."

I was just after a link confirming you could travel overseas during the 2 year period, as scorecard claims, and for how long, or how many times, without it effecting anything.

Coincidentally, that Super site also confirmed this, which is related to the proposed changes to non resident tax.

Is the age pension taxable?

Yes — the age pension is counted as taxable income. You can ask Services Australia to deduct tax from your payment so you don’t need to pay it when you lodge your tax return.

Still at it!! No surprise there.????

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, MAF666 said:

We live on a 10 Rai farm in Chanthaburi which provides most of our food and a small  income selling produce locally.

Looking at adjacent land sales it would cost us 130% more to buy our property today.

Building costs maybe a similar hike.

You win some, you lose some.

The lifestyle is priceless.

Not exactly the lifestyle I would expect of someone who was in the highest tax bracket for 40 years, but that's not my business. 

I was under the impression you could easily afford to return to Australia to do the 2 years and qualify, but you just didn't want to. 

Do you have link showing the length of time and frequency one is allowed to travel overseas during their 2 year qualifying period?

No, well no surprise there. 

I was refering to your usual  non residency for tax purposes "claim to fame"  which has jack to do with current subject. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Olmate said:

I was refering to your usual  non residency for tax purposes "claim to fame"  which has jack to do with current subject. 

If I actually took the bilge he posts on board, I'd be slashing my wrists by now. No longer even bothering to look at his posts.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Did you see the word "coincidentally?" 

There was a debate about whether a pension was an "income" and therefore taxable at non resident rates, if / when the proposed changes came in.

That was just another link confirming a pension is deemed an income.   

Hopefully scorecard, or any other member, can provide a link confirming the information he posted.  It's very important, because no one would want their 2 years to start again because they went on a 1 month holiday to Thailand during their qualifying period. 

Edited by KhunHeineken
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

If I actually took the bilge he posts on board, I'd be slashing my wrists by now. No longer even bothering to look at his posts.

I encourage you to take it a step further and put me on your ignore list.  That way, you won't get upset, and it lessens the trolling and personal attacks against me, which are just a waste of time.

Edited by KhunHeineken

26 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

As with most of his "expert advice", the "ignore" is not entirely successful, as it does not stop his posts from being visible when a casual visitor, not having experienced our " pain and suffering", responds to one of his posts.

If you have a "follow" on this forum and I suggest a lot would have, as in the past there has been a lot of topical posts , you still end up neck high in the bilge.

• Like 1

I guess you'll have to take that up with the website's developers.

Any advice, comments etc I have posted, I always backed it up with links.  If it's been my opinion, I have said "In my opinion."  I don't claim to be an expert.

If people don't want to read what's contained in those links, for whatever reason, that is their choice.

This post is typical of a troll / personal attack on me, not to mention, it's off topic.  Unlike others, I don't report it.  In fact, I have never reported any post.  Your post serves no purpose, offers no information, no content, yet I always give the courtesy of a reply, even to post such as this one.

So, getting back on topic, can you supply a link confirming one is able to travel overseas, whilst in the 2 year period, without any consequences, or will you simply reply with another troll / personal attack? 

I'm sure you know because you seem to read every post on this subject.

There is no link from Centrelink saying that.

From what Scorecard has mentioned, it seems to be office policy only, not legislation.

32 minutes ago, Olmate said:

"coincidentally" there is "no debate" on OAP being classed as income. 

Incorrect. 

There was a debate at the time.  Comments such as, "but I don't earn a pension"  and "It's not earnings" and "I didn't work for it so it's not income."  Scroll back and have a look. 

Links were then supplied by me, and others, that the government deems a pension to be an "income" which was followed by trolling and personal attacks against me because the reality started to hit home that pensions, therefore pensioners living overseas, may not be a protected species in the future, and their fear of change, particularly in relation to money / tax caused them to shoot the messenger.  I have outlined this in the past. 

Rather than discussing solutions, strategies, tax minimization etc for the benefit of all members, many thought if they just personally attack me, they won't have to worry about the information being posted because of the herd mentality.  It was funny.   

Scorecard gave you the answer: do you say he,s lying or not?

He didn't give an answer.  He put it forward as information and I am seeking confirmation on that information by way of a credible link.  It's not uncommon to ask for a link.  You will find such requests across the whole website. 

I never said he was lying. 

Do you have a link from someone who has a different outcome? No my guess.. Just more pee n wind ruining discussion another worthwile subject of interest to many on here. Knock it off pal.

No, I don't have a link, why do you think I am asking for it? 

Another member said the information was there and easy to find.  I looked for myself and posted links to what I had found, and quoted relevant parts,  There was no mention that it was fine to travel overseas during the qualifying period. 

You seem so confident on the accuracy of his post, how about you post a link or two?

It's actually you, and some others, that post nothing but troll and personal attacks against me, and it usually happens when I do back up my comments with a link, and it's members like you that ruin the information flow for others with post after post of not addressing the link I have posted that backs up my posts. 

:Like I said, I have never reported any post from anyone, ever, but it's you and others that need to knock it off, or post a link/s that disprove what I have posted.  For people with strong personal attacks, that should be easy, shouldn't it? 

Edited by KhunHeineken
  • Sad 1