Australian Aged Pension

3 minutes ago, Bvor said:

cos 44 day stays (x4) is enough for me these days and proposed 60 day visa exempts (x4) will hopefully facilitate so i have zero interaction re visa's and thai "officialdom" whether it be in LOS or OZ in any shape or form.

evisa will be plan B though.     

Been a long time since I was here for any length of time on tourist visas, but where do you get "60 day visa exempts (x4)" from? 

The 60 days visa exempt. I think can be extended for 1 month for 2000 baht, but don't quote me on this.  That's 90 days per entry on a 60 visas exempt, if you want it. 

I was under the impression you would do, basically, 6 months consecutive in Australia and 6 months consecutive in Thailand.  I gather this is not correct.

Just be aware, Thai tax residency is the calendar year, and if / when the proposed changes pass in Australia, for Australian tax residency it's our financial year. 

3 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

Been a long time since I was here for any length of time on tourist visas, but where do you get "60 day visa exempts (x4)" from? 

The 60 days visa exempt. I think can be extended for 1 month for 2000 baht, but don't quote me on this.  That's 90 days per entry on a 60 visas exempt, if you want it. 

I don't want stays of 60+ days ............what suits me is 44 day stays 4 times a year so i am under LOS 180 day rule and will then also be over OZ 183 day rule.

Where i am coming from is........... If the proposed 60 day visa exempts change comes to be and can be utilised  4 times a calender year for 44 day stays i will do.

I am returning to OZ 20/6/2024 and will wait for more clarification of how BKK I/O interprets proposed 60 day visa exemptions per calender year before i do next LOS stay.

I want to avoid LOS officialdom as much as possible but if LOS B/S insists i will do evisa tourist visas when in OZ.

12 hours ago, Bvor said:

I don't want stays of 60+ days ............what suits me is 44 day stays 4 times a year so i am under LOS 180 day rule and will then also be over OZ 183 day rule.

Where i am coming from is........... If the proposed 60 day visa exempts change comes to be and can be utilised  4 times a calender year for 44 day stays i will do.

I am returning to OZ 20/6/2024 and will wait for more clarification of how BKK I/O interprets proposed 60 day visa exemptions per calender year before i do next LOS stay.

I want to avoid LOS officialdom as much as possible but if LOS B/S insists i will do evisa tourist visas when in OZ.

Good plan. 

You will be able to sit back and watch the chaos unfold, knowing none of it involves you, and you are not exposed to a tax liability in Australia and in Thailand. 

28 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

Good plan. 

yeah, whether or not the proposed 60 day visa exemption is available 4 times per year by air will be interesting albeit evisa's still available. 

On 6/14/2024 at 4:21 PM, LosLobo said:

I had to the opportunity to contact Centrelink through the overseas line this week, firstly on Tuesday then again today.

My first call went to Hobart which was courteous and extremely helpful.

Second call which diverted to mainland was a waste of a time and a 500-baht phone call.

That staff member did not have a clue as I seemed I know more than them.

Possibly early morning gets Hobart but in afternoon diverts when busy in Hobart later on.

Anyone know how to do reverse charge call to Centrelink from mobile?

Agree totally, tried same about 6.weeks back, however I got the bad experience twice, not your good one at all. Absolutely clueless, then graduated to rude and arrogant, bothtimes young female.Gave it away then, I was trying to get info from Mygov, will leave it till I go back, both times cost me over1k baht.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/14/2024 at 5:03 PM, scorecard said:

From Chiang Mai and from Bangkok I've call the Centrelink toll free number number many times over the last approx. 8 years.

The number I call is 001 800 611 4136 I always use my mobile to call, my provider in LOS is AIS post pay.

Always connects,  8:00 am to 5:00 pm Oz time.

Never been charged. 

The above is from a Services Australia online document   https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/phone-us?context=64107

I've just been reading some later posts.

Further to the my post above (repeated from 14 June 05:30 am) calls using 001 800 611 4136 are toll free. As I mentioned I've used this toll free number many times from Thailand. It's always connected quickly and answered quickly.

I've never ever encountered rudeness from any Centrelink officer (on the phone or when I did a couple of times initially visit the local big C'link office near Narrabeen just above Sydney), always good listeners, always pleasant, and always focused on the subject of my call.

At least twice the officer on the phone has said 'please hold the line just 1 or 2 minutes so I can get some advice on this from my supervisor on this point'. Calls never went dead, officer was back on the line quickly with a clear focused answer. Always ended the calls with a clear and fully focused response to my question.

We seem to have some members who love to have difficulties / drama with C'link. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Further to the my post above (repeated from 14 June 05:30 am) calls using 001 800 611 4136 are toll free. As I mentioned I've used this toll free number many times from Thailand. It's always connected quickly and answered quickly.

I've never ever encountered rudeness from any Centrelink officer (on the phone or when I did a couple of times initially visit the local big C'link office near Narrabeen just above Sydney), always good listeners, always pleasant, and always focused on the subject of my call.

At least twice the officer on the phone has said 'please hold the line just 1 or 2 minutes so I can get some advice on this from my supervisor on this point'. Calls never went dead, officer was back on the line quickly with a clear focused answer. Always ended the calls with a clear and fully focused response to my question.

Because you have not experienced problems with Centrelink it does not mean others have not had genuine issues.

Why would anyone love having difficulties?

If you have any evidence of self-inflicted difficulties/drama from members in relation to recent activity about calling Centrelink, I suggest you post it.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, scorecard said:

You seem to be the forum apologist for not only Centrelink, but other government agencies.

Just because you've had good experiences and have been fortunate enough to get some other benefits, doesn't mean others haven't had bad experiences.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, scorecard said:

It's more than likely an attitude problem. 

Like you, I've only even had the best of service anytime I've called. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Will27 said:

You seem to be the forum apologist for not only Centrelink, but other government agencies.

Just because you've had good experiences and have been fortunate enough to get some other benefits, doesn't mean others haven't had bad experiences.

Whatever. 

Other benefits? I've never received anything more than my entitlement and I've never suggested I have received more than my entitlements.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, LosLobo said:

Because you have not experienced problems with Centrelink it does not mean others have not had genuine issues.

Why would anyone love having difficulties?

If you have any evidence of self-inflicted difficulties/drama from members in relation to recent activity about calling Centrelink, I suggest you post it.

Suggest you do the same. My posts are accurate in regard to what I have experienced. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, scorecard said:

Suggest you do the same. My posts are accurate in regard to what I have experienced. 

That's the problem.

Your posts are accurate in your experience, but you dispute what others have experienced and put it down to having a bad attitude.

You won't even admit the waiting times on the phone are often horrendous.

My friend here had his pension cut to $125 for no apparent reason.

It literally took him hours to get it sorted.

There was no apology, nothing.

Not even why it was done.

The money was just reinstated.

I had the misfortune to have to try and contact the MyGov helpline and it took over an hour to sort things out.

LosLobo has said he experienced good and then bad service.

If you don't think you can get bad service from a government agency, you're in Laa Laa land.

On 6/15/2024 at 6:07 AM, Bvor said:

yeah, whether or not the proposed 60 day visa exemption is available 4 times per year by air will be interesting albeit evisa's still available. 

Your plan covers all bases.  Short stay visas will be no problem.  There's always the 30 visa exempt, and the 1900 baht 1 month extension.  Still better than being deemed a tax resident of Thailand, and all the BS that's coming in the future for that. 

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

Still better than being deemed a tax resident of Thailand,

yes and resulting in Thailand losing my >180 days spending which Oz will now gain......som nam naa!

On 6/19/2024 at 2:45 AM, Bvor said:

yes and resulting in Thailand losing my >180 days spending which Oz will now gain......som nam naa!

Many can't see that the proposed changes to Australian tax residency will achieve this also, similarly in the way Thailand is doing it. 

Those who have an income derived in Australia, who the ATO want to tax, will be deemed residents, or non residents, based on 183 days.

For some, it will be beneficial to be a non resident, and for some it will be beneficial to be a resident for tax purposes. 

Everyone's circumstances are different, but for pensioners, I would suggest they would want to remain a tax resident of Australia in order to benefit from the tax free threshold, which is a threshold that doesn't exist in the non resident tax brackets. 

After the proposed changes are passed, one can not remain a resident of Australia for tax purposes when you live full time in Thailand. 

Edited by KhunHeineken

20 hours ago, Nemises said:

Correction:

“If the highly-unlikely changes ever do happen…”

Are you going on the record that the proposed changes will never be legislated? 

If yes, the current laws are 90 years old.  For how much longer to you think the government, lead by either political party, will leave them in place? 

Many thought Albo would bin the proposed changes. 

This link shows they are alive and well under Labor, and Labor didn't even propose them.  :cheesy:

https://www.afr.com/policy/tax-and-super/assistant-treasurer-flags-new-tax-residency-rules-20220826-p5bd1v

Edited by KhunHeineken

10 hours ago, Nemises said:

You’re on record as saying the new changes should be taking effect in July 2024 - which is next week. 

Are you still sticking with this date? If not, what’s your new proposed date? 🤣🤣🤣

More deflection from you.  Go on the record, rather than criticize. 

I have never put a date on it. 

I have always kept an eye out for the proposed changes at May budget time, and have posted the good news here when they have not been mentioned. 

For a long time I used the term "If / when" but after reading Labor were still going ahead with the proposed changes, it basically became "when" and not "if." 

If Labor binned them, they would have to wait for the next Liberal government, but Labor didn't bin them, and I have posted a link showing this. 

For how long will either party continue to hold onto 90 year laws with all the loopholes?  It's only a matter of time before they are modernized, but I have never put a date on it. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

More deflection from you.  Go on the record, rather than criticize. 

I have never put a date on it. 

I have always kept an eye out for the proposed changes at May budget time, and have posted the good news here when they have not been mentioned. 

For a long time I used the term "If / when" but after reading Labor were still going ahead with the proposed changes, it basically became "when" and not "if." 

If Labor binned them, they would have to wait for the next Liberal government, but Labor didn't bin them, and I have posted a link showing this. 

For how long will either party continue to hold onto 90 year laws with all the loopholes?  It's only a matter of time before they are modernized, but I have never put a date on it. 

The changes will be enacted shortly before spud face gets his nuclear power up n running, aka, dreamtime!! Oh.dear !! 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Olmate said:

The changes will be enacted shortly before spud face gets his nuclear power up n running, aka, dreamtime!! Oh.dear !! 

Who would have thought it? A conservative political party creating a nationalized power grid, against expert advice and costings.

Can't you see the banks and investment institutions falling over themselves to provide funding?

As a brain fart, it's up there with some of the posts on this thread.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Who would have thought it? A conservative political party creating a nationalized power grid, against expert advice and costings.

Can't you see the banks and investment institutions falling over themselves to provide funding?

As a brain fart, it's up there with some of the posts on this thread.

Lots of thought went into that fart, not. Spud is on the way to the chip factory after this erection, still time tho for the knives to come out, maybe grab an OAP for some timely advice.🤪