The Tattoo Thread - Western Names In Thai Script

meadish_sweetball

Hi....

I am wondering if there is an equivalent Thai phrase or saying for " Never give up"? If there isn't a common saying that roughly means the same thing, could some one possibly give me the translation of " Never give up"?

Thanks

the 'ch' is not pronounced 'sh' like many people say it

The corresponding Thai phoneme is usually pronounced somewhere in between English 'ch' and 'sh', so no matter how it's written, some people may pronounce it so it sounds more like 'shafer' than 'chafer' - you'll simply have to live with it, or correct them each time.

เชเฟิอร์

just bumping, since it was last on the previous page...

Hi! I was wondering if anyone could translate this to correct Thai:

Be yourself; no base imitator of another, but your best self

and

Immortality will come to such as are fit for it

I do realize that it might be quite difficult, but I appreciate any help at all.

I would want it translated so it actually makes sense in Thai.

Thank you

• 2 weeks later...
Since we get an increasing amount of requests about tattoos and how to transcribe names into Thai script, we thought it would be a good idea to gather these queries in one and the same thread (special thanks to mangkorn for the original suggestion).

There is already a fair bit of information on this subject scattered over Thaivisa. We will try to link to the most informative threads and posts here as well.

If you have any suggestions, please don't hesitate to PM me or another Thaivisa moderator.

:)

Hello all i joined your forum yesterday to see if i could get the correct spelling for my childrens names which are OTIS and LEILA. Seems like i posted in wrong area because i have just seen this thread,i left a little story to explain why i would like the names translated which you will find in the language section under title "childrens names" thanks again to anyone who could help.

Looking for the translation of "self-control" for a tattoo. Not sure if this is possible as my Thai friends have had trouble with it (maybe it's my explanation of the meaning). Anyways, thanks in advance!

Also, if possible, just a bit of background on what this term would mean to a Thai person.

On top of that, "humility". Sorry for the delayed edit if you're responding now!

Edited by vestalfleck

Single word expressions are tough to translate, because you will be stuck with one word or a short expression that may share one of the meanings of 'self-control' with English, but may also have other connotations on top of that.

A straight translation would be การบังคับตนเอง but I would not suggest that for a tattoo. It could also be taken to mean 'to force yourself to do something'.

Also, the two languages are fundamentally different in that English has a strong focus on nouns while Thai is more verb based, so in that respect it might make more sense to find a verb that fits, instead.

It is very rare to find a word that is 100% over-lapping in both meaning and flavour... perhaps one of the native Thai speakers who read the board will have a suggestion for you.

I don't have a good suggestion for 'humility' either.

A couple possibilities; hopefully native speakers will offer further suggestions/criticisms:

Self-control

ความยับยั้งใจ, ความยับยั้งตน

Humility

ความถ่อมใจ, ความถ่อมตน

These are the words I think of for these terms. None is particularly common with the prefix ความ, based on Google, but it turns them into abstract nouns.

ไทเซน would be a literal Thai spelling of "Tysen", with the e-sound, like tie-sen.

If you want it to sound more like the other common spelling of the name does (Tyson -- tie-sun), then ไทซัน is another possibility.

Hi....

I am wondering if there is an equivalent Thai phrase or saying for " Never give up"? If there isn't a common saying that roughly means the same thing, could some one possibly give me the translation of " Never give up"?

Thanks

Here are three ideas, but not guaranteed to be correct. (pieced together from BP Becker Book.)

ไม่ย่อท้อ

I won’t give up.

ไม่ย่อท้อเด็ดขาด

I resolutely won’t give up.

หัวเด็ดตีนขาด ยังไงก็ไม่ย่อท้อ

I won’t give up even if my head and feet are cut off.

ไทเซน would be a literal Thai spelling of "Tysen", with the e-sound, like tie-sen.

If you want it to sound more like the other common spelling of the name does (Tyson -- tie-sun), then ไทซัน is another possibility.

Great, thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I found a poem, and I would like to get a correct translation of. I did an online translation, but I'd like to know

how you guys would translate this

หวัง ใจ เรา สว่าง ท่ามกลาง ความมืด มน

wăng jai rao sà-wàang tâam-glaang kwaam-mêut mon

and if possible a translation of all of the ending in the poem:

เรา พยายาม เดินตาม หา ความหมาย

rao pá-yaa-yaam dern dtaam hăa kwaam măai

กล้าเผชิญ ดีร้าย สิ่งกีดขวาง

glâa păy-chin dee ráai sìng gèet-kwăang

มุ่งมั่น ฟันฝ่า ผอง ภัย ใน หนทาง

môong-mân fan fàa pŏng pai nai hŏn taang

หวัง ใจ เรา สว่าง ท่ามกลาง ความมืด มน

wăng jai rao sà-wàang tâam-glaang kwaam-mêut mon