The Tattoo Thread - Western Names In Thai Script

meadish_sweetball

Hi folks. I'm not getting a tattoo done (I find after 48 years that I don't have to write it down any more to remember it [but am aware that that may change!!!! lol]), but I am now living in Thailand and am working on learning the language so I figure being able to write my name in Thai would be pretty handy.Mike ArmstrongMy Thai teacher reckons the Mike is ไมค์ but I am having difficulty understanding this as I thought that the gaa-ran symbol meant that the 'k' sound is silent, but of course when you say "mike", there is a slight, but distinct 'k' sound at the end of it.I have had a go at doing my surname: อัรมสทรงAny help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.smile.gif
อาร์มสตรอง
Thank you Yogi (I'm not going to call you lazy, because you helped me ;) ) :jap:

mai bpen-rai.

Also, my wife agrees that ไมค์ is correct. But like you, I can't figure out why.

I can think of two related reasons, but I'm only guessing:

1) The "ai" vowels (sara ai mai malai and sara ai mai muan) are never followed by a final consonant in a syllable in Thai. Normally in this case, they will add the 'gaa-ran symbol' to avoid such "illegal" letter combinations.

2) When one says Mike in English, the k sound at the end is clearly aspirated (you release air afterwards). Thai final consonants are never aspirated, so it would probably sound closer to "mai" than "mike" anyway. There's no way to make the aspirated k in Mike in Thai.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

hi there

i was just woundering if somebody could please translate "tyson kevin thompson" for me please? and also i would like it in a nice font but unsure how i would do that.

if someone could help me that would be great

hi there

i was woundering if somevody could translate "tyson kevin thomspon" for me please? also i would like a nice font for it but unsure on how i would do that.

if someone could help that would be great

thanks

Edited by lesh03

hi there, sorry not really to sure how this forum works :D but i was woundering if somebody could please help me out. i was wanting to get "tyson kevin thompson" translated in to thai... i also would like it in a really nice font but unsure on how i would go about that. if someone could help me out that would be great. thanks :rolleyes:

heyy could someone possibly tell me what my name would be in thai? its ainsley. much thanks! x

เอนสลีย์

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello all,

I'm going to meet a tattoo artist about getting a tattoo that says "LIVE LIFE" (as in get the most out of life; experience everything you possibley can in life as you only live once etc. etc.). I'm going to get it written in Thai script and want to know a translation for this. Some people have said:

Live life - "Chai Cheewit" ใช้ชีวิต

another said "Dum-rong Cheewit" or "Chai Cheewit Tem Tee".

I was wondering if anyone out there had any thoughts or ideas of a translation. I know there might not be an exact translation in Thai but I want to get as close as possible as it's gonna be there forever. If not, the alternative is getting "ADVENTURE" in Thai script which is "Pajonphai" ผจญภัย

Thanks guys.

• 5 months later...

I was thinking of having the phrase "know emptiness, be compassionate" tattooed. Anyone know what that would be in Thai? Most places Ive seen that phrase in English it's says "emptiness" but that actually refers to impermanence. I don't know if that helps...

• 1 month later...

how do you write Xyra in thai phonetically?

it is read as sa-i-ra or za-i-ra

thanks a lot

The first name of the Argentinian model Zaira Nara is written in Thai as ไซรา or ไซร่า

thanks a lot!!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I started a thread about this before I saw this one so apologies for that, if the mods don't mind I'll ask my question here as well to get a bit more noticed, my original post was:

I have been living in Thailand for 6 years now and have decided to get a tattoo in Thai script, I wanted to run this past you guys if you don't mind as well as asking many Thai people about the translation to make sure it is correct.

I want the quote "what doesn't kill you makes u stronger" or the Thai equivelant.

I asked a Thai friend and got this translation:

สิ่งที่ฆ่าคุณไม่ได้ ย่อมทำให้คุณแข็งแรงขึ้นเสมอ

There was a reply to this stating that this was more like each word translated, so maybe my friend just did that!, I've also realised I should have "What doesn't kill me makes me stronger" that would probably make more sense.

tongue.png

Can anyone else help please?

Thanks,

Tom.

Hi all,

I started a thread about this before I saw this one so apologies for that, if the mods don't mind I'll ask my question here as well to get a bit more noticed, my original post was:

I have been living in Thailand for 6 years now and have decided to get a tattoo in Thai script, I wanted to run this past you guys if you don't mind as well as asking many Thai people about the translation to make sure it is correct.

I want the quote "what doesn't kill you makes u stronger" or the Thai equivelant.

I asked a Thai friend and got this translation:

สิ่งที่ฆ่าคุณไม่ได้ ย่อมทำให้คุณแข็งแรงขึ้นเสมอ

There was a reply to this stating that this was more like each word translated, so maybe my friend just did that!, I've also realised I should have "What doesn't kill me makes me stronger" that would probably make more sense.

tongue.png

Can anyone else help please?

Thanks,

Tom.

yes thats correct. sing tee kar kun mai dai yom tum hai kun kang lang kuun sum err. that what it sounds like basically in english!

hi there

i was woundering if somevody could translate "tyson kevin thomspon" for me please? also i would like a nice font for it but unsure on how i would do that.

if someone could help that would be great

thanks

ไทยสัน เควิ่น ทอมสั้น .....thats it. tyson kevin tompson.

Yasmin - ญาสมินทร์ ?

I know there are many ways to spell it but I like this version. Chose ญ over ย because I think it's more feminine. Been told to add ทร์ as it would look too short otherwise. I know English speakers would probably say แญส instead of ญาส but I prefer the latter. Comments?

I couldn't find the edit post button but just in response to tod-daniels post, I'm not going to do a tattoo smile.gif Also, people tattooing things they don't really understand has been going on for ages (chinese tattoos). And it's just as silly as when Thais transliterate their names to English which is in almost all cases horribly wrong, including silent letters and whatnot.

its spelled correctly as in yasmin. and its spelled as a girls name!

Hi folks. I'm not getting a tattoo done (I find after 48 years that I don't have to write it down any more to remember it [but am aware that that may change!!!! lol]), but I am now living in Thailand and am working on learning the language so I figure being able to write my name in Thai would be pretty handy.

Mike Armstrong

My Thai teacher reckons the Mike is ไมค์ but I am having difficulty understanding this as I thought that the gaa-ran symbol meant that the 'k' sound is silent, but of course when you say "mike", there is a slight, but distinct 'k' sound at the end of it.

I have had a go at doing my surname: อัรมสทรง

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

smile.gif

no thats not armstrong. it says like a lum sa trung. its spelled อามสตรอง is correct for armstrong! Edited by krisb

Hello there, brand new here

I was looking for a translation for my kids names in Thai, I have had a friend do it for me but i would just like to confirm what she has written, so here goes

Kayden 3-8-1992

Kyer 23-12-1995

Thanks in advance

kayden is เคย์เดิ้น and kyer is คาย้า. do you want the dates in thai or english?

hi i have a large ask, if someone could translate to script for me 'for the times we are yet to see' im more concerned with the sentiment of the phrase then word for word. its from our weddings vows smile.gif

also would love translations for my childrens names - Declan and Callyn

The first question is difficult, because it is not a complete sentence. This is fine in a poetic context in English, but it leaves an assumed, unspoken thing that we are thinking of, which is "for the times we are yet to see." This poetic ambiguity is left open to interpretation by the listener, and it is hard to translate into another language without being overly specific (and thus not very poetic). I'll do my best though.

• เพื่อประสบการณ์ที่เราจะเจอในอนาคต (literally: for the experiences that we will encounter in the future)
  • Declan - เด็คลัน
  • Callyn - แคลิน

Maybe someone else can come up with something better for the sentence.

Callyn is correct but declan sounds like deksan. its written เด็กเลิ้น. that sounds like declan.