Speed Test #44726914 by dslreports.com

Run: 2008-01-27 19:28:15 EST

Download: 536 (Kbps)

Upload: 84 (Kbps)

In kilobytes per second: 65.4 down 10.3 up

Tested by server: 55 java

User: 2 @ dslreports.com

User's DNS: cdpm1.com

I've always know that speed it terrible in the evening, but since trying Woody's speed checks I am truley astonished at how sloooow .....

Speed Test #44751542 by dslreports.com

Run: 2008-01-28 07:04:55 EST

Download: 24 (Kbps)

Upload: 51 (Kbps)

In kilobytes per second: 3 down 6.2 up

User's DNS: tttmaxnet.com

My Maxnet line is doing pretty well as usual:

Speed Test #44886844 by dslreports.com

Run: 2008-01-30 07:45:31 EST

Download: 786 (Kbps)

Upload: 346 (Kbps)

In kilobytes per second: 96 down 42.3 up

Edited by ade100

Ah .... but what about later in the day & evening ???

Oops... sorry. That is EST time = evening in Thailand. That's an amazing speed for evenings.. lucky you.

Oops... sorry. That is EST time = evening in Thailand. That's an amazing speed for evenings.. lucky you.

Sounds like I am quite lucky but I should also say that this is the more expensive version of maxnet, called maxnet4life which costs about 2000THB. I think there is a cheapy one called maxnet4home which I would imagine is nowhere near as good.

Results, I am using TOT ADSL:

Speed Test #44939402 by dslreports.com

Run: 2008-01-30 22:37:26 EST

Download: 221 (Kbps)

Upload: 328 (Kbps)

In kilobytes per second: 27 down 40.1 up

User's DNS: totbb.net

Its really a pain in the rear trying to surf the web right now. Just did the speed check and here is what I got.

Speed Test #45089242 by dslreports.com

Run: 2008-02-02 03:06:38 EST

Download: 109 (Kbps)

Upload: 93 (Kbps)

In kilobytes per second: 13.3 down 11.3 up

This weekend I had to give up my brilliant maxnet service as we have moved to Thalang which is served by TOT. My new 1Meg TOT service is very slow:

Speed Test #45167288 by dslreports.com

Run: 2008-02-03 08:34:42 EST

Download: 236 (Kbps)

Upload: 318 (Kbps)

In kilobytes per second: 28.9 down 38.9 up

Tomorrow I am upgrading to the SME package costing 2700 THB per month. I'll keep you posted.

At my place in KL for three days. For comparison TM-Net ADSL here (advertised 1MB/384kB, price MYR77 = THB 770 per month):

Speed Test #45180554 by dslreports.com

Run: 2008-02-03 12:58:24 EST

Download: 45 (Kbps)

Upload: 75 (Kbps)

In kilobytes per second: 5.5 down 9.1 up

User's DNS: tm.net.my

Compared to the average of 31 tests from tm.net.my:

* download is 85% worse, upload is 61% worse

So that's pretty bad tonight. But normally quite useable for video streaming and Skype.

Have Island Technology service in Kamala, THB 2,430 per month, which has been OK for three years. Customer service not so good since I believe the boss died. Bills often wrong, payments lost and so on. Will speed test on my return and post.

Just installed free trial of Telcom shared fibre leased line at my new place in Haat Surin, to which I'm moving soon. Allegedly 500/256 (THB 2,500 per month) but this has been returning upload speeds as low as * 8KBps* last week. Useless. But they did throw in two fixed IP addresses for webcams, and the engineers appeared very competent, so I wish I could take this service. I'll give them the chance to see if anything is wrong with hardware before giving up.

I've been called by ToT a few times to sell me their 1MB ADSL service for THB 2,200. Or a connection with one fixed IP address from about THB 4,000 which I thought ridiculous. From what I read here ToT is likely to be useless too?

Island tech offered me a leased line at Surin for THB 4,000+, but again I thought this overpriced.

As I said to the engineers, Thailand did not invent the internet, the equipment used is the same as all over the world, so why do the prices here need to be so much higher than elsewhere? Stony silence and contemplation of the floor, of course :o

Interesting:

Thai Visa speedtest from Malaysia (TM-Net) using the link in George's post:

Last Result:

Download Speed: 1495 kbps (186.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 298 kbps (37.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

ie very acceptable.

Whereas using the DSL Reports site:

Speed Test #45182435 by dslreports.com

Run: 2008-02-03 13:30:04 EST

Download: 46 (Kbps)

Upload: 174 (Kbps)

In kilobytes per second: 5.6 down 21.2 up

User's DNS: tm.net.my

Compared to the average of 31 tests from tm.net.my:

* download is 85% worse, upload is 11% worse

All over the place. No idea what's going on. Regional/International?

Looks like testing a server in java.. Suspect it may be a slow javenese link..

Try speedtest.net and different servers.

>>All over the place. No idea what's going on. Regional/International?

Might have something to do with all those int'l links being cut, so now traffic rerouted and backing up.

Sounds like I am quite lucky but I should also say that this is the more expensive version of maxnet, called maxnet4life which costs about 2000THB. I think there is a cheapy one called maxnet4home which I would imagine is nowhere near as good.

ade100, what sort of speeds are you getting. Since contributing to Wood'y speed list I am considering the more expensive maxnet4life for our 3 TT&T ADSL accounts. Is it really worth it ?? And why should I have to pay more because TT&T CANNOT deliver anything like their advertised speed.

Woody, do you seem any improvement on the current situation ?? or will TT&T/TOT/CAT just wait until the high season is over, traffic goes down, and they say 'what's the problem '. Is there anything at all the we consumers can do ? other than phoning and complaining about slow speeds.

:o:D

ade100, what sort of speeds are you getting. Since contributing to Wood'y speed list I am considering the more expensive maxnet4life for our 3 TT&T ADSL accounts. Is it really worth it ?? And why should I have to pay more because TT&T CANNOT deliver anything like their advertised speed.

Woody, do you seem any improvement on the current situation ?? or will TT&T/TOT/CAT just wait until the high season is over, traffic goes down, and they say 'what's the problem '. Is there anything at all the we consumers can do ? other than phoning and complaining about slow speeds.

:o:D

Maxnet4life was brilliant. After the free upgrade to 1500k, I was getting speeds of around 600 - 1200k most days and very few outages. But alas I have just moved to Talang were TT&T maxnet is not available. I am suffering with a TOT SME package where I get speeds of around 80 - 200k and many outages.

From looking at Woody's speed tests it seems that maxnet is very varied but the stats don't show which maxnet package they have. I can't say for sure if it will be worth it in your area but for where I was living (Chao Fa Road) it was excellent.

Now I am researching an alternative ISP in Thalang. If anone has any suggestions please let me know.

Everyone keeps mentioning 'woodys speedtest' is there a page compiling speeds and user reports then ?? if so where ??

I have TOT goldcyber installed in this rental apartment. .Before the big net outage problems I was getting 200kb solid torrents, 1800 or so kbs to singapore and 1600 to japan.. Thats ok for the package.