Airport Taxi, They're Devious

blondiewonder

hi

recently we have come back from a short trip and got a taxi from the airport, we needed to be at sukhumvit 22, and the taxi driver asked if we wanted the expressway, catching us off guard we said yes. i actually saw him give the toll booth lady 40 baht and we did this twice, so you would think 80 baht on top of the fare on the meter. wrong, he tried to tell us it had cost 80 baht per toll booth, i told him i had seen him hand over 40 baht only but he wasn't having any of it, so we just paid. we have since learned that you don't even need the expressway from the airport to sukhumvit 22 as we can just come along rama IV. on reflection should we just have paid the real price and got out of his taxi, what could he have done? call the police for an extra 80 baht? should we have mentioned tourist police and started taking his taxi number. we are generous people and would have given him a tip anyway had he not been so blatant at ripping us off, but all any of us got from it was bad feeling? anyone else experienced this? do we just say we don't want the expressway next time, or do all taxi drivers assume farangs don't know there way round bangkok so there for don't know what they are talking about when it come to directions and and the best routes to take? have you had an experience like this?

em

In answer to one of your questions, I take a taxi home from my office every evening and I would say about 10 per cent of the drivers will try to 'confuse the farang' by taking a longer route to earn more money. I've been here for almost two years and know enough Thai to set them straight with a smile. They know what they're trying to do and they know I know too. The vast majority of the drivers I have come across are fine and honest.

Just a thought - the last time I took a taxi from the airport I was given a slip with the number of the taxi on. It's probably not worth the hassle to complain but then again it might stop the same thing happening to someone else in the future.

The expressway is generally much faster to escape gridlocked traffic. He did rip you off though because 80 baht for the 3 tolls is all it should cost on top of your fare. When I have to catch the airport taxis I hand them the money from the back seat to pay the toll then and there! Don't mention the tourist police over something so small ($5!)cos all it will do is piss him off and cause you more troubles. Just notch it up to experience and hand them the correct fare next time and walk away. They shouldn't make a fuss because they know they're being dodgey.

When I have to catch the airport taxis I hand them the money from the back seat to pay the toll then and there!

I, and everyone else I know Thai or farrang, does this every time. I didn't think there was any other way to pay the express way, and in fact the taxi driver usually asks for the cash anyway if you don't produce it first.

I disagree with the posters who say let it be. The more he gets away with it the more he will try this trick.

If you took the taxi from the stand then you should have been given a slip with his no. on which you can write down a complaint on and send it off. It says this on the form.

The problem I sometimes find is that dishonest drivers try and keep the slip themselves so they can try something on and know they probably wont be reported. I keep a tight grip on it, even when he pretends not to understand my Thai and asks to look at the destination.

I've had ones who say the slip is for them and not for me and funnily enough theyre the ones who need numerous requests to turn the meter on rather than go with their offers of 500, 400, 300 baht. Another trick which I've seen a few times is having the meter already running quite high before you even get in and some 'forgetting' to turn on the meter so he can provide you with an elevated fare at the destination.

If you dont have the slip then take his number and dial taxi complaints which I think is 1584.

In my limited experience there seems to be only one real answer, "negotiation"

Before I'll get in a cab I always establish a, how much for a long run i.e. Airport to Banchang and b, who's paying the tolls. a smile and a joke and it's soon sorted. Well, has been so far - 2 years.

pip pip

In my limited experience there seems to be only one real answer, "negotiation"

Before I'll get in a cab I always establish a, how much for a long run i.e. Airport to Banchang and b, who's paying the tolls. a smile and a joke and it's soon sorted. Well, has been so far - 2 years.

Why do you do all that? Why not just put the journey on the meter and pay the tolls yourself, as is standard procedure?

hi

recently we have come back from a short trip and got a taxi from the airport, we needed to be at sukhumvit 22, and the taxi driver asked if we wanted the expressway, catching us off guard we said yes. i actually saw him give the toll booth lady 40 baht and we did this twice,

Now that is a new one on me.

I travel this road each week and from the New Airport getting on to the "Motorway" and entering BKK proper they charge me "25 Baht" then when joining the 1st Expressway "40 Baht" = 65 Baht.

Very strange that you mention 40 baht and we did this twice?????? Please explain..

Each entrance of the tollbooth has the price clearly displayed at each booth.

If, as you say the Taxi Driver ripped you off, so be it, but please do not say the Tollbooth people did it to the taxi drive at Tollbooth 25 baht. Thank you.

Get your story correct.

Kan Win :o

I just enjoy talking WITH people I guess, sorry :o

Fine, you can chat to the driver for the whole duration of the journey, and pay the correct fare. That way everyone's a winner - the driver enjoys the pleasure of your conversation and you pay a fair price.

When I go to Bangkok... I normally stay at a hotel on Soi Ladprao Rd.. The average taxi fare would be 140 to 150 baht. That's what your honest taxi drivers charged, which I normally give them 200 baht and let them keep the change.. And it's not like the expect a tip, because they normally end up handing me back the change, but I just say keep it..

Now I had a couple devious drivers that wanted to make some extra money... One took a longer route to the hotel, which the fare ended up being 180 baht, he got a 20 baht tip.. Then I had one driver that kind of upset me, when I got into his cab at the airport, told him where I needed to go, he said 300 baht.. I said no thanx and started to get out of the cab.. Then he said, ok "METER" - so I agreed.. Once I got to the hotel, the meter said 150 baht.. Since he was an idiot, I gave him 170 baht.. He said NO!!! 200 Baht!!! I pointed at the meter, then he pulled out the tax cab fare list, and he points at this little qoute that says something like "fares for pickup from the airport is an additional 50 baht."

I've never seen this additonal fare posted before, and never been charged this additonal fare from the airport on my previous trips to Thailand. I ended up giving him what he wanted --- 200 baht.. and he was happy!! No big deal, cuz that's what I normally pay..

I will always go to the departures drop off area on the 4th level at Suvarnaphum to take a taxi. That way there is no sur-charge and the driver having just dropped off a fare is more than happy to have a passenger for the return trip to downtown. Never had to discuss fares and I always pay the 25 and 40 baht toll fee as we go.

Edited by Blinky Bill

When I go to Bangkok... I normally stay at a hotel on Soi Ladprao Rd.. The average taxi fare would be 140 to 150 baht. That's what your honest taxi drivers charged, which I normally give them 200 baht and let them keep the change.. And it's not like the expect a tip, because they normally end up handing me back the change, but I just say keep it..

Now I had a couple devious drivers that wanted to make some extra money... One took a longer route to the hotel, which the fare ended up being 180 baht, he got a 20 baht tip.. Then I had one driver that kind of upset me, when I got into his cab at the airport, told him where I needed to go, he said 300 baht.. I said no thanx and started to get out of the cab.. Then he said, ok "METER" - so I agreed.. Once I got to the hotel, the meter said 150 baht.. Since he was an idiot, I gave him 170 baht.. He said NO!!! 200 Baht!!! I pointed at the meter, then he pulled out the tax cab fare list, and he points at this little qoute that says something like "fares for pickup from the airport is an additional 50 baht."

I've never seen this additonal fare posted before, and never been charged this additonal fare from the airport on my previous trips to Thailand. I ended up giving him what he wanted --- 200 baht.. and he was happy!! No big deal, cuz that's what I normally pay..

Actually, that 50 Baht surcharge is normal for a meter taxi from the airport.

I will always go to the departures drop off area on the 4th level at Suvarnaphum to take a taxi. That way there is no sur-charge and the driver having just dropped off a fare is more than happy to have a passenger for the return trip to downtown. Never had to discuss fares and I always pay the 25 and 40 baht toll fee as we go.

yep - i do exactly the same! no need to queue for a cab.

Plenty of shady taxi drivers at the airport. Them many times telling my friends that they don't have change for 40 or 60 at the same time waving bunch of 20s in their hands. Then asking/taking the complaint card and won't give it back. It's a disgrace. Welcome to Thailand. Or maybe it's a good wake up call for the tourists, they could loose a lot more than that. Last time I went to meet my friend arriving at my place. Guess what the taxi guy was having a problem with him. When I told him in Thai that he's not honest politely and read his register number in Thai he almost attacked me on front of my apartment in Bangkok. Some are the lowest bunch of lowlifes as you can get in Thailand.

yep - i do exactly the same! no need to queue for a cab.

I also do that but had a joker last month. I came out of the last exit on the far left and there was a driver standing in front of his taxi. I would have thought he would want the fare but he quoted 500 bt. :o The security guys werent moving him along so I guess either he must have paid someone. or was outside the no stopping zone. The newbies he was obviously looking for usually go to the taxi stand downstairs and dont think about going upstairs so surely noone gave him 500.

Plenty of taxis dropping off so I just got in the next one with no problems.

hi

recently we have come back from a short trip and got a taxi from the airport, we needed to be at sukhumvit 22, and the taxi driver asked if we wanted the expressway, catching us off guard we said yes. i actually saw him give the toll booth lady 40 baht and we did this twice, so you would think 80 baht on top of the fare on the meter. wrong, he tried to tell us it had cost 80 baht per toll booth, i told him i had seen him hand over 40 baht only but he wasn't having any of it, so we just paid. we have since learned that you don't even need the expressway from the airport to sukhumvit 22 as we can just come along rama IV. on reflection should we just have paid the real price and got out of his taxi, what could he have done? call the police for an extra 80 baht? should we have mentioned tourist police and started taking his taxi number. we are generous people and would have given him a tip anyway had he not been so blatant at ripping us off, but all any of us got from it was bad feeling? anyone else experienced this? do we just say we don't want the expressway next time, or do all taxi drivers assume farangs don't know there way round bangkok so there for don't know what they are talking about when it come to directions and and the best routes to take? have you had an experience like this?

em

When using a Taxi on expressways I always................ALWAYS.......... give them the money for toll booths.. If I hand over 100 baht Taxi's will always give me the change right there. There is no need for arguement. I also ask for reciepts, sometimes I claim for a business trip.

Either way, I've never ever had a problem with any taxi, but then that might be due to my fluent Thai. It is very normal to give them the cash as you approach a toll booth, most of my Thai friends and business partners have always done the same. Try it, if they refuse, then expect they have something up their sleeves. Still ask for the ticket, but ask in advance, make it clear you need it. They will get it if you insist. If you ask for it after you've past the gate the chances are the Taxi driver did not worry about the reciept and will not have collected it. Don't get made at him.......

ry catching Taxi's on the top level arrivals section of the airport, they know less games than the taxis sitting around waiting for registered rides, just be careful if your from out of town.

just be careful if your from out of town.

Millions of tourists arrive in the Land of Smiles every year and are subjected to this crap.

A manager at the Airport could put an end to these games in 5 minutes if they were the least bit interested.

Obviously, the managers at the AOT are financially benefitting from the constant reports of scamming at their brand new "world class' airport.

Amazing Thailand.

recently we have come back from a short trip and got a taxi from the airport, we needed to be at sukhumvit 22, and the taxi driver asked if we wanted the expressway, catching us off guard we said yes.

In one of your post elsewhere on this forum, you say "me and my partner (both farang) live here for 4 or 5 months every winter from october to feb".

Surely you must be a "little street wise" by now, and must have some knowledge of the expressways.

You also state in the same post that you "have a stall in a fairground". Now there is a breeding ground for devious people.

Edited by Shrubbery

I always get an AOT taxi to pick me up to and from the airport, yeah it is more expensive but I never have to queue and never get ripped off and they drive carefully which is much more important to me than some ignorant driver who got his license from a packet of cornflakes and puts me and my wife in danger by tailgating and driving too fast. I have never had an AOT limo that made me feel nervous with his driving.

hi

recently we have come back from a short trip and got a taxi from the airport, we needed to be at sukhumvit 22, and the taxi driver asked if we wanted the expressway, catching us off guard we said yes.

Can a local set us all straight as I often wonder too.

First, the time of day obviously dictates the need for using the expressway, yes? I have said no to the expressway at 12:30AM coming in from an international flight and done fine. But if during the day, you use the expressway because of gridlock, yes? What aare the times of day you need the toll roads and when can you say no?

For this persons route Suvarnbumi to Soi 22, there is a 40 baht toll and then a 25, yes?

Clarification is appreciated

Plenty of shady taxi drivers at the airport. Them many times telling my friends that they don't have change for 40 or 60 at the same time waving bunch of 20s in their hands. Then asking/taking the complaint card and won't give it back. It's a disgrace. Welcome to Thailand. Or maybe it's a good wake up call for the tourists, they could loose a lot more than that. Last time I went to meet my friend arriving at my place. Guess what the taxi guy was having a problem with him. When I told him in Thai that he's not honest politely and read his register number in Thai he almost attacked me on front of my apartment in Bangkok. Some are the lowest bunch of lowlifes as you can get in Thailand.
That the govenment let these lowlifes prowl and con at the airport says it all really dosent it,.actually i find taxi drivers the world over lazy ignorant lazy b@stards and on my last trip back to the uk i almost ended up brawling with one as he would not drop me at the back of the hotel and i had 3 suitcases, ,so he had abuse and no tip ( and no brain, ) :o

When using a Taxi on expressways I always................ALWAYS.......... give them the money for toll booths.. If I hand over 100 baht Taxi's will always give me the change right there. There is no need for arguement. I also ask for reciepts, sometimes I claim for a business trip.

Either way, I've never ever had a problem with any taxi, but then that might be due to my fluent Thai. It Still ask for the ticket, but ask in advance, make it clear you need it. They will get it if you insist. If you ask for it after you've past the gate the chances are the Taxi driver did not worry about the reciept and will not have collected it. Don't get made at him.......

They don't give tickets at the 25 baht toll booth though.

Either way, I've never ever had a problem with any taxi, but then that might be due to my fluent Thai. It Still ask for the ticket, but ask in advance, make it clear you need it. They will get it if you insist. If you ask for it after you've past the gate the chances are the Taxi driver did not worry about the reciept and will not have collected it. Don't get made at him.......

They don't give tickets at the 25 baht toll booth though.

Yes they do.

Taxi drivers are all hated, there is many occasions i have wanted to punch the drivers head off but i remained calm.

In Thailand I get picked up from the airport and usually around Thailand the wife gets us a taxi. WE ALWAYS GET THE METER :o

I always tip the driver 100 baht just for turning on the meter