Best Books / Audio For Learning Thai?

cwkid

Hello

Can someone recommend a series of books with audio for learning Thai? I also need a good English to Thai / Thai to English dictionary.

I am a non Thai speaker so need resources for absolute beginners.

Worryingly I got an F in my GCSE French class at school so I need all the help I can get!

Any recommendations would be welcome and any best practices for getting started with learning the Thai language.

Many Thanks.

Edit: I've seen these on Amazon are they any good?

Edited by cwkid

Hello

Can someone recommend a series of books with audio for learning Thai? I also need a good English to Thai / Thai to English dictionary.

Worryingly I got an F in my GCSE French class at school so I need all the help I can get!

Any recommendations would be welcome and any best practices for getting started with learning the Thai language.

Many Thanks.

I am three months (doing an hour a day) into the "Thai for Beginners" course (book and CDs) by Benjawan Poomsan Becker, which caters to absolute beginners and deals with reading, speaking and writing. It's easilly available in the usual book suppliers (Amazon etc.) and I see in passing that it's also in BKK airport, so probably in many Thai book shops as well. It's reasonably priced (about USD 25). IF you search this forum you will find lots of discussion on this and other material. I find this course pretty good but hard work.

Hello

Many Thanks.

I am three months (doing an hour a day) into the "Thai for Beginners" course (book and CDs) by Benjawan Poomsan Becker, which caters to absolute beginners and deals with reading, speaking and writing. It's easilly available in the usual book suppliers (Amazon etc.) and I see in passing that it's also in BKK airport, so probably in many Thai book shops as well. It's reasonably priced (about USD 25). IF you search this forum you will find lots of discussion on this and other material. I find this course pretty good but hard work.

Hi Thanks for the reply, I will have pleny of time on my hands and lots of Thai people to help me learn so I am hoping to give it a real good try and learn as much as I can to the best of my abilities. It seems quite daunting however it seems like such a complex language with all the tones and words that are the same but mean different things depending on tone.

If you search on the net you can find a pimsleur thai course to download for free :o I found this to be the best i have come across, its seems to drum it into you more than the others. Only completed 3 cds out of the 10 though as i dont have much free time. Anyway my wife is thai so i learn mostly from her.

I have also used the "Thai for Beginners" course and currently using the intermediate course. I enjoy them and think they do a good job of explaining the basics. It's been very helpful to have help from Thai people though!

They also have the beginner course available to use on your computer, it has reading and listening exercises and tests. But, I don't recommend it without the books and audio CD's.

Edited by beechguy

I have also used the "Thai for Beginners" course and currently using the intermediate course. I enjoy them and think they do a good job of explaining the basics. It's been very helpful to have help from Thai people though!

They also have the beginner course available to use on your computer, it has reading and listening exercises and tests. But, I don't recommend it without the books and audio CD's.

I am also using these books but I am a bit slack and I should do it for at least an hour a day but I can often find a reason not to. :o:D

However at 63 that is a personal problem.

The books themselves are good value for money and they have helped me.

Edited by billd766