Change Visa Non B To O

Hi.. from my research on the forum I thought I could change my Non Imm B to retirement without leaving the country using the TM86. Just returned from Phuket Imm. was informed you can only change from retirement to Non B....this doesn't make much sense but???? I was further told I must leave the country and apply at consulate there. Is this true? It seems others are doing change from within Thailand. Do I try a different office here in Thailand. Thanks for any advice

We are talking about a change of "visa status". If you already have a visa, you may change from that visa to a non-imm-O based on retirment and then two months later extend the non-imm-O to a year based on qualifying for retirement.

Wait for lopburi3 to correct me if I am wrong, but I have never heard of a limitation to changing a visa status in Thailand if you qualify for the visa applied for.

ProThai, Thanks for that....I was also under that impression and was a bit taken aback by the immigration officer's manner....like he says it every day. I have always had great relations there but today was a real shocker. I was quite clear about what I intended hmmmm well I will wait for further advice and thanks for replying,

Help!

Hubby over 50 has a Visa Non B expiry date Jan 2009 with work permit - work permit will be cancelled 31st Jan 2008 as he is leaving the company.

Me over 50 have a Visa Non O expiry date Jan 2009.

We want to change visa to retirement visas- as we would like to stay here (for the next five years maybe more)

We have been told by the company hubby works for that we have to leave the country within 7 days because his work permit will be cancelled and get a new Visa Non O and I will have to do the same to start to apply for a retirement visa?

Please can anyone help? do we have to leave the country and start again. :o

Yes believe you do. His extension of stay is tried to his employment and you are tied to his extension of stay - this all ends with loss of employment. It seems to tie with the OP in that immigration will not want to provide extension of stay on anything but a non immigrant O visa and there is no way to get that from another non immigrant visa entry (only change from tourist visa or issue from visa exempt entry).

Being over age 50 you can both probably obtain non immigrant O single entry visas and one of you would then, after 60 days, apply for retirement using the financial conditions and once that approved the other could then apply as dependent (as done on employment earlier). Or if two financials can be met you could each obtain a retirement extension of stay independently.

lopburi3 - Have just been told we have to start by leaving Thailand - Singapore for a few days and coming back on a Tourist Visa before we can apply to change to a non Immigrant O and then start the procedure of applying for a retirement visa.

Just want to do the correct thing - from the word go so any help would be much appreciated.

Worried - Samui! :o

Request a single entry non immigrant O visa from Singapore - if they will not issue than the tourist is fine but will involve an extra 2,000 baht step at Immigration after your return. Being over age 50 believe they will issue the O visa, especially if you have funds in bank account you can show them.

Hi, just also wanted to say thanks to Lopburi as well for his advice. I have a little more time it seems as my work place will not cancel my work permit for a couple more months-even though I am not going to be working(they like me a lot!!!!)....but I too will be going down south to get the O visa and eventually retirement extensions here in Thailand. The forum rocks and we are lucky to have it...

traveldog - we have until 6th Feb to exit Thailand - company hubby works for has helped us a lot - But said the rule is WP/Visa has to be cancelled when you leave the company - anyway all the best - like us all who are seeking retirement on this forum just enjoy Thailand - Samuie :o

Hi Samui,

Well that is interesting about the must cancel the visa....hmmm. Of course I specifically asked the about my visa when I turned in the WP...but they said no worries until April when my actual B visa expires.... I am turning in my work permit today..maybe I will be going to soon to Singapore after all, ha ha. It certainly seems a bit of an awkward way to do this but for me and I am sure you it is worth it. Cheers and good luck.