I've Discovered The Ultimate Hamburger In Chiang Mai

damian5000

The Great CM Burger Poll  

155 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I just had the best hamburger I have ever had in Chiang Mai.

Mad Dod...................wonderful

Here we go again...yet another gushing plaudit for that epicurian delight...."The Burger"!

A few ounces of minced meat served in a bit of bread.

So wonderful that the world has to be informed......sad..sad...sad.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just had the best hamburger I have ever had in Chiang Mai.

Mad Dod...................wonderful

Here we go again...yet another gushing plaudit for that epicurian delight...."The Burger"!

A few ounces of minced meat served in a bit of bread.

So wonderful that the world has to be informed......sad..sad...sad.

Thank you for sharing your boring opinion. :o

The Saloon and the Dukes are running neck to neck! :D

And at this point Duke's is ahead :o Lots of problems with straw polls like this, the most obvious being it begs the question, 'how many of the respondents have eaten burgers at all of these outlets?' Also which burgers at which place, etc.

Me, I've only tried the Burger King, McD's, Duke's Mike's, Woody's and Chiang Mai Saloon. And I notice Guitarman is not on the list, a real oversight as Nicky goes all out with his burgers there, whether you like 'em or not.

I think a blind tasting is in order, organized by UG :D

I think a blind tasting is in order

sabaijai is right - as he usually is - a blind tasting is the only way to really be fair, but it is almost impossible to pull off considering every ingredient has to be served at the correct temperature in order to be at it's best.

Someone mentioned the other day that even McDonald's fast food burgers can be delicious when served right out of the oven, so I went out and had one and I concur. :o

The Saloon and the Dukes are running neck to neck! :D

And at this point Duke's is ahead :o Lots of problems with straw polls like this, the most obvious being it begs the question, 'how many of the respondents have eaten burgers at all of these outlets?' Also which burgers at which place, etc.

Me, I've only tried the Burger King, McD's, Duke's Mike's, Woody's and Chiang Mai Saloon. And I notice Guitarman is not on the list, a real oversight as Nicky goes all out with his burgers there, whether you like 'em or not.

I think a blind tasting is in order, organized by UG :D

If you need volunteers for the "blind tasting" i would be glad to help out..

The Guitarmans burgers should not only be on the poll they should be the winners by far.. :D

Khow soi is not part of the poll. "Other" actually signifies foot long hotdogs with mustard from Seven/Eleven! :o

No, I presumed the "Other" was any other burger joint not previously listed in the poll and thus included in the 11.

The khao soi I was referring to was the last option in the poll. It's the one that is in 2nd place behind Woody's and ahead of 10 other burger joints.

The name of the place is the Guitarman and is on the continuation of Loi Kroh after it crosses the night bazaar and almost at the end at Th Charoen Prathet. Yes great burgers and great music. My preference is the pizza - please don't start on that thread. I go for #7 "The Sex Pistols" Real peperonni onion and all the tasty stuff.
And I notice Guitarman is not on the list, a real oversight as Nicky goes all out with his burgers there, whether you like 'em or not.
The Guitarmans burgers should not only be on the poll they should be the winners by far.. :o

I mentioned Guitarman in my post above and have added it to the poll - currently it is on 2 votes. If anyone has voted in the other category and wants it moved to Guitarman please send me a PM and I will change the vote accordingly. Similarly anyone wanting to add another venue please let me know and I will add it to the poll.

CB

As requested - I have created a poll for the better known Hamburger places around Chiang Mai. Apologies to the places left out but such is life.

Notes:

7) Any resemblance with this poll and reality is purely coincidental

Lots of problems with straw polls like this, the most obvious being it begs the question, 'how many of the respondents have eaten burgers at all of these outlets?' Also which burgers at which place, etc.

In my post above is the salient point - "any resemblance with this poll and reality is purely coincidental". That said it is actually not a bad poll as such. The question is "my favourite burger comes from .........." not of these 11 choices which is the best burger?" A similar question would be "what is your favourite city in the USA?" my answer would be Austin Texas. I haven't been to every city in the US but I have been to Austin and had a great time so it is my favourite city there. The fact that not everyone has tried every burger place in Chiang Mai is irrelevant - the question is to give an opinion not do a taste test but simply to state a preference.

I added the last option as a bit of a joke but I am finding it particularly interesting. The CM forum has an apparent fixation with burgers but approximately half of the members don't care a fit about them despite the bandwidth used to discuss their merits in minute detail. Personally I am with them - I like burgers and enjoy the OCCASIONAL one but I don't have a fixation about them - get a grip guys they are disposable food not haute couisine.

CB

I added the last option as a bit of a joke but I am finding it particularly interesting. The CM forum has an apparent fixation with burgers but approximately half of the members don't care a fit about them despite the bandwidth used to discuss their merits in minute detail. Personally I am with them - I like burgers and enjoy the OCCASIONAL one but I don't have a fixation about them - get a grip guys they are disposable food not haute couisine.

I'm the last option, hate the things. You would have to pay me to eat one, not the other way around!

My dogs are quite partial to them though. Must admit I bought for the dogs on the way home when I had forgotten to buy dog food!

I'm the last option, hate the things. You would have to pay me to eat one, not the other way around!

My dogs are quite partial to them though. Must admit I bought for the dogs on the way home when I had forgotten to buy dog food!

get them some BBQ ribs next time in case you forget to buy dog food. :o

CB

So, the great supermoderator flipflops. Have you ever considered running for political office?

Actually, according to your poll, only about 25% of respondents claim that they don't enjoy hamburgers, however, I would guess that many of them are indeed in your camp, sneaking out to Woody's after a few beers and stuffing down greasy, dripping Aussie burgers with beet-root, pineapple and dripping egg yolk, going on about how great it was to your mates and later then claiming to be above it all. "Personally I am with them - I like burgers and enjoy the OCCASIONAL one but I don't have a fixation about them."

This thread is about people who like hamburgers every once in a while - not three times a day - and according to your old posts and private conversations you are one of them. There is a big difference between "enjoying an occasional burger" and not eating them at all. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

Nothing wrong with Woody's burgers. I've never been disappointed. Nor have I suffered any kind of severe 'crumbling effect' other than that which would be expected from eating a minced beef patty. So a big thumbs up for Woody's from me.

Hi "Bentley"

I voted for others as 3 other folks did.

Had one of yours "Cold" as per MY request. Came in piping hot, but I do enjoy the flavours of a cold one, then you know what you are eating. Hot burgers are masked behind the heat, sauces etc.. but your's Sir, was full of the flavour of fresh herbs and other ingredients that really came out eaten cold.

Try it somtam folks, then and only then you Kan compare burger for burger. :o

Now I shall Burger-off-ski :D

The Colonel, Kan Win :D

large.jpg

Been there, ate there :D

Five years ago, I visited Chiang Mai to check it out for a retirement. teaching and entertainment. If I had only had Thai food to consume, I'd have returned to the highlands of Chiapas, refried beans and stupid commune cooks who literally could not cook a soft egg. If they do away with Western food here, I will run out before my current visa extension runs out.

and now, Khao Soi is ahead as the best "burger" in Chiang Mai poll.... well done to the citizens of that fair city, my faith has been restored.

Khao soi is never mentioned on the poll, however, there is an option for people who don't like burgers, but it has been out-voted four to one! :o

David of the Duke's is so heartbroken about coming in at third . . .

He is no such thing. He knows perfectly well that most of the teeming masses of the hamburger world, armed though they be with ballots, never visit either of his establishments, rendering their votes meaningless -- in effect, no more than a null and void hoi polloi poll. :o

Today's poem:
a hoi polloi poll. :o

won by khao soi

I've tried the burgers from 5 of the places in the poll. Duke's is marginally acceptable but the best of those I've tried and who I voted for. But now that supposedly Khao Soi is an option, that would be far and away my top choice. I'm still not sure if "Other" or "I don't eat hamburgers" is the right answer for Khao Soi, but I'd change my vote if I could.

btw, I used to really like Duke's burgers but getting one cooked rare is an increasingly rare occurrence.

Today's poem:
a hoi polloi poll. :o

won by khao soi

I've tried the burgers from 5 of the places in the poll. Duke's is marginally acceptable but the best of those I've tried and who I voted for. But now that supposedly Khao Soi is an option, that would be far and away my top choice. I'm still not sure if "Other" or "I don't eat hamburgers" is the right answer for Khao Soi, but I'd change my vote if I could.

btw, I used to really like Duke's burgers but getting one cooked rare is an increasingly rare occurrence.

I'm sure a friendly PM to a helpful mod could have your vote properly adjusted.

So, in the interim, the tally change is:

Dukes: 6

Khao Soi: 12

and all others remain unchanged.