I've Discovered The Ultimate Hamburger In Chiang Mai

damian5000

The Great CM Burger Poll  

155 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting that Burger King is coming in a close 2nd. Glad to find I'm not the only one who think their burgers reign supreme in Chiang Mai. Though I must admit I've got to try the #1 voted Chaing Mai Saloon before I can solidify this opinion.

And Ulysses has the right of it. I don't think anyone voting here eats burgers 3 meals a day. I OCCASIONALLY... ranging from once every few months to once every couple weeks enjoy a burger. My main sustenance is Thai food.

I've got to try the #1 voted Chaing Mai Saloon before I can solidify this opinion.

Please try the CM Saloon Bacon, Cheeseburger - it always comes with Aussie or American imported beef. Ron's cheaper burgers use Thai beef, but one of them won the original Citylife #1 prize.

Both sabaijai and I feel that the CM Saloon bacon, cheeseburger is GREAT!:o

I've got to try the #1 voted Chaing Mai Saloon before I can solidify this opinion.

Please try the CM Saloon Bacon, Cheeseburger - it always comes with Aussie or American imported beef. Ron's cheaper burgers use Thai beef, but one of them won the original Citylife #1 prize.

CM Saloon's burgers aren't anywhere near as good as Duke's, imho. The beef was almost as good, but the cheese was just an ordinary slice of cheap packaged cheese; the bacon was a soft piece of what an American would call "Canadian bacon". Duke's uses crispy American-style bacon and better cheese. CM Saloon has served me limp french fries both times I've been there. The oil wasn't hot enough. Duke's fries and onion rings are always perfectly crispy. I've tried both branches of CM Saloon and I won't be going back (well, maybe for next year's Super Bowl).

CM Saloon's burgers aren't anywhere near as good as Duke's, imho. The beef was almost as good, but the cheese was just an ordinary slice of cheap packaged cheese; the bacon was a soft piece of what an American would call "Canadian bacon". Duke's uses crispy American-style bacon and better cheese. CM Saloon has served me limp french fries both times I've been there. The oil wasn't hot enough. Duke's fries and onion rings are always perfectly crispy. I've tried both branches of CM Saloon and I won't be going back (well, maybe for next year's Super Bowl).

I had one of CM Saloon's cheeseburgers this week and was really looking forward to it. I'm not sure WHERE the beef came from but it was a whitish-pink, tasteless, and appeared undercooked...got through half of it thinking it was just me and the dark lighting but all i could taste was the tomato. Probably the first time I couldn't finish a simple cheeseburger.

I thought this odd since CM Saloon was considered to have a decent burger. Did I get a thai-beef burger??? What-the-h***, why not just offer one type of beef and stick with it.

I go to about 8 of the burger joints listed but not this one again.

Did you order the cheeseburger or the bacon, cheeseburger? They use two different kinds of beef, depending on which you order.

The only time I had a really terrible bacon, cheese burger at the CM Saloon, Ron told me that the staff had used the wrong (Thai) beef and promptly refunded my money.

I have noticed that people who like the Duke's burgers, generally don't like the Saloon's and vice versa, but I can't tell you why. I am usually a big Duke's fan, but don't like the burgers.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Unfortunately, I am not a fan of their steaks either. When the Fillmore East was around - and they charbroiled their steaks - I used to have a filet mignon fairly often, but if they are not charbroiled, I don't think that they taste good enough for the high price. I rather have some cheap, old BBQ ribs at Salsa Kitchen and save a lot of money.

Does anyone know a place in Chiang Mai that does premium, imported steaks over a flame? I would love one every once in a while if they are worth the price. :o

Did you order the cheeseburger or the bacon, cheeseburger? They use two different kinds of beef, depending on which you order.

The only time I had a really terrible bacon, cheese burger at the CM Saloon, Ron told me that the staff had used the wrong (Thai) beef and promptly refunded my money.

I have noticed that people who like the Duke's burgers, generally don't like the Saloon's and vice versa, but I can't tell you why. I am usually a big Duke's fan, but don't like the burgers.

I had the 'CityLife awarded' cheeseburger. Again, why offer the thai-beef at all?

Sitting there waiting for my burger I was thinking about sampling the menu on future visits but after that first impression...probably not. At least now I know how those scrawny white thai cows taste like.

post-30832-1202609450.jpg

It says (something) like: Our bacon, cheeseburger comes with imported American or Australian beef. The others come with premium Thai beef. :o

Woody's is only one point ahead of Burger King and the CM Saloon and the Duke's are dead even!

Edited by Ulysses G.

I ate a burger at Woody's lately and must say it did taste

pretty good . Much better then those at mike's .

And indeed much better then the famous 2 big franchise names !

Now I know where the Dukes is , so I will try it there next time .

Where is the saloon ?

Where is the saloon ?

There are two branches of the Chiang Mai Saloon.

1) the original - Loi Kroh Road - head down the road towards the Night bazaar and it is just before the Mui Thai Boxing Arcade bar area. Directly opposite is a tattoo shop, next door is a used book shop - not in Gecko colours :o

2) CMS2 - on Ratchdamnoeng Rd - near the UN Irish

My preference is the one on Loi Kroh because Ron is always good for a laugh :D

CB

I can't believe I am adding to this thread but I have stood by and watched this debacle long enough. The best cheeseburger (and you don't have to pay extra for the cheese) in CNX is the burger stand outside John's Place/Cozy Corner. For only 39B you get a great burger with all the fixins; lettuce, tomato, onion. It comes quick and the beef they use is the same as the "best burger" in Chiang Mai. And if you want a heap of fries, that also is only 39B.

I can't believe I am adding to this thread but I have stood by and watched this debacle long enough. The best cheeseburger (and you don't have to pay extra for the cheese) in CNX is the burger stand outside John's Place/Cozy Corner. For only 39B you get a great burger with all the fixins; lettuce, tomato, onion. It comes quick and the beef they use is the same as the "best burger" in Chiang Mai. And if you want a heap of fries, that also is only 39B.

A mate and i had a couple of these a few weeks ago. We ended up tossing them to some soi dogs.

I guess we all just have different tastes.

The soi dogs seemed to enjoy them.

A mate and i had a couple of these a few weeks ago. We ended up tossing them to some soi dogs.

I have to admit, I am usually a few beers deep when I have one. Were you sober at the time?

I have to admit, I am usually a few beers deep when I have one. Were you sober at the time?

I haven't been sober for 6 weeks... :o

Health is for binging on in-between drinks... :D