I've Discovered The Ultimate Hamburger In Chiang Mai

damian5000

The Great CM Burger Poll  

155 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Your best bet if you want to discuss Thai food is to start a topic on a specific dish or style of food, and you are bound to get lots of replies.

For Khao Soi, my personal favourite so far is Samoe Jai over on Fa Ham Road. Another long standing name is Khao Soi Lamduan on the same road and with a new outlet built along the Superhighway, on the same side as, and close to Wat Chet Yot.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I LOVE Kow Mok Guy, but some places make it much better than others. There was a place in the Kad Swuan Keuw shopping center food court on the 5th floor that had chicken that would literally melt in your mouth, Unfortunately, they went out of business during the last Bird Flu scare and I've never found a place so good since. :o

Well Bardamu, that tirade should stop the debate nicely! :o

A poll sounds like a very good idea princealbert, these burger and pizza threads are becoming quite repetitive. How about pinning the poll at the top of the page so that it can be kept current with new outlets and present standards - although I guess that might not work because there is only one vote per member and if a burger at xyz outlet is great in February but by July abc outlet have upped their game and become favourite it would not be possible to cast another vote . . . ah well.

Perhaps a Burger Forum dedicated to the wonders of patties and buns?

Even better, banish all such threads to the Western Food Forum.

dam_n - how did I get drawn into this? Time to get back to work!

No, i've not finished . . . i forgot to add my favourite burger. Mong Pearl Cafe on Huay Kaew Rd. just up from condo Lanna 3. You wouldn't think it would be good, but it is. Very nice meat. Not as greasy as other joints spoken of earlier. Get the bacon double cheese. Comes with chips, not fries. Good stuff. See, i also have a burger fetish . . . that rant you refer to, don't they call 'projection' in pyschology? I need a freaking burger, now.

Burger, dam_n, i mean, Bardamu . . . that's parapraxis!

JxP

Your best bet if you want to discuss Thai food is to start a topic on a specific dish or style of food, and you are bound to get lots of replies.

For Khao Soi, my personal favourite so far is Samoe Jai over on Fa Ham Road. Another long standing name is Khao Soi Lamduan on the same road and with a new outlet built along the Superhighway, on the same side as, and close to Wat Chet Yot.

Enough with the burger threads!

Khao Soi Lamduan at the original location across the river is the best! I tried the new one they have on the superhighway and it was horrible. Poor service, cold food, and the most serious infraction for a khoa soi restaurant; the khoa soi was terrible!

Khao Soi Lamduan at the original location across the river is the best! I tried the new one they have on the superhighway and it was horrible. Poor service, cold food, and the most serious infraction for a khoa soi restaurant; the khoa soi was terrible!

My wife and i were at the branch on the superhighway a few days ago..Still brilliant as far as we were concerned. :o

As requested - I have created a poll for the better known Hamburger places around Chiang Mai. Apologies to the places left out but such is life.

Notes:

1) You can only choose ONE (1) place

2) you can't change your vote unless you send me a PM and ask very nicely (it will probably cost you a beer Singha small)

3) There is not distinction between franchises of the same name ie Mikes is a group so if you like the one but not the others then put the comment in the post but add you vote to the Mikes option

4) The poll will continue until either I get bored with it or the whole thing turns into a food fight

5) Bribery and corruption are acceptable and one vote will cost you a beer Singha small so choose carefully :o

6) The judge's vote (Me) is final and irreversable unless you buy me enough beer to make it worth my while

7) Any resemblance with this poll and reality is purely coincidental

8) The final decision on any such vote is wherever you like to eat your burger is purely up to you and not part of a massive campaign to coerce people into a particular group. Personally I look at burgers as an adjunct to my eating habits. I don't have a mad patriotic rush to the ramparts simply because someone has a different opinion than me. So take a deep breath and slowly let it out - life is too short to fight over a burger guys.

That all said let the voting begin.

CB

Can someone tell me Thaivisa, and possibly half of Chiang Mai's expat crwod is obssessed by bleeding burgers? Is this the utopian dream, burger heaven?

You ask a Frenchman or a Schweizer about his cheese, an Englishman about his ale, a Dutchman, Swede or Dane about his herring, a Bangladeshi about his dhal, a Thai about his somtam.

You ask a Chiang Mai expat about his burger. :o

That is absolutely frightening....... :D

The Fly Fisherman

Folk Guitar hit it right on the head.

Sometimes I am in the mood for a Whopper or a (new) double Big Mac, sometimes I want a homemade bacon, cheese burger and The Saloon's imported ground beef hits the spot, sometimes I want an Aussie burger with beetroot, pineapple rings and a greasy fried egg and Woody's is perfect.

It is hard to choose which is best. :D

To an American traditionalist, the idea of putting beetroot, pineapple and an egg on a hamburger is tantamount to heresy! :o

Lord, the next thing you know, people will begin putting pineapple on pizza! :D

A hamburger should have salt, pepper, a touch of garlic, and be grilled over a BBQ burning either hickory or mesquite charcoal outdoors. The only choices available should be catsup or no catsup, cheese or no cheese, and raw onion or no raw onion. And of course, consumed with a can of cold beer. Or three.

The Fly Fisherman

Queen Vic - makes this monstrosity.....

THAT is a burger. If Woody's patty was 1/2 that size I would of been content. Please, no gay jokes.

Well, I voted for Burger King, because from what I've tried so far, it far outclasses Woody's or Mike's IMO. Though the lettuce and grilled onions were pretty good at Woody's.

Queen Vic's

Dukes

Guitar Man

Chiang Mai Saloon

Are on the list to try. Duke's being first because it was suggested first. I'll try and find it tonight.

. . . . . Where is Duke's BTW?

Duke's has two locations. One recently opened somewhere in or around the Night Bazaar. I've never been there. The other, more established and, as far as I know, original location is just across the Ping River from the main part of town. Do you know the one-way bridge five hundred meters or so south of Narawat Bridge? If you cross it (it runs one way in a west to east direction) and turn left as soon as you get over to the other side, Duke's will be perhaps 50 meters down the road on your right.

You mean as if I was headed to the train station? Thapae Road? (of course Thaipae rd heads east to west, but the bridge and road it meets up with you mean?)

nm... I found the address on the net. My GF should be able to direct us there.

Edited by damian5000

I LOVE Kow Mok Guy, but some places make it much better than others. There was a place in the Kad Swuan Keuw shopping center food court on the 5th floor that had chicken that would literally melt in your mouth, Unfortunately, they went out of business during the last Bird Flu scare and I've never found a place so good since. :o

On Changklan Rd up towards the Chiang Mai Land turn off (opposite) there's a muslim restaurant selling fairly reasonable Khao Mok Gai. It's one/two shophouse in a long row.

My wife and i were at the branch on the superhighway a few days ago..Still brilliant as far as we were concerned. :o

I'm not sure how a burger thread almost evolved into a Khao Soi thread, but imho the best Khao Soi is from the vendor in the Thanin Market. A close second is the stand on Sirimankalajarn between Nimanhaemain Sois 9 and 11.

As requested - I have created a poll for the better known Hamburger places around Chiang Mai. Apologies to the places left out but such is life.

Notes:

1) You can only choose ONE (1) place

2) you can't change your vote unless you send me a PM and ask very nicely (it will probably cost you a beer Singha small)

3) There is not distinction between franchises of the same name ie Mikes is a group so if you like the one but not the others then put the comment in the post but add you vote to the Mikes option

4) The poll will continue until either I get bored with it or the whole thing turns into a food fight

5) Bribery and corruption are acceptable and one vote will cost you a beer Singha small so choose carefully :o

6) The judge's vote (Me) is final and irreversable unless you buy me enough beer to make it worth my while

Let me guess-Singha-small :D

What's the name of the bar that is in the Night Bazaar and Joe Cummings plays there about once a week? They are supposed to have good ones! :o

The name of the place is the Guitarman and is on the continuation of Loi Kroh after it crosses the night bazaar and almost at the end at Th Charoen Prathet. Yes great burgers and great music. My preference is the pizza - please don't start on that thread. I go for #7 "The Sex Pistols" Real peperonni onion and all the tasty stuff.

Hmmmmmmmmm pizza, beer, and live music

CB

And it comes from McDonalds and Burger King. This is only partially satire because it sounds like it is...But I'm being serious. I've tried Woody's..I've tried Mike's. These have got to be the saddest burgers I've EVER seen or eaten. I was looking forward to Woody's yesterday after reading a thread that had many people claiming they had the best burgers in Chiang Mai. The saddest crumbly little piece of meat that arrived at my table sunk my heart. Does it exist? A real hamburger that isn't going to weigh 2 oz's and crumbled all over the place and isn't going to cost me 200 baht? Burger King wins this one hands down so far.

Obviously you haven't tried Chiangmai Saloon. Guitarman and Woody's also acceptable. And like UG points out, it depends on one's mood. I tried a Whopper at BK a couple days ago, not too bad but for the price I could've gone to CM Saloon.

Some interesting and I must say surprising results in this poll.

The "I don't eat hamburgers" group are bringing up a close second to the leader "Woody's"

Mike's seems to have dropped a long way from it's days of yore as the "Best Burger in CM" tag unless there is a late surge of midnight diners waiting to post.

The contest between McD and Burger King flies in the face of expectation with McDonalds' being the market leader. The Queen Vic has stalled at the starting gate despite someone posting a photo of what looked like a pretty substantial burger from there in the thread.

I am considering do the same thing with those other perennial topics of choice in this fair city vis Pizza, Ribs, and Fish & Chips.

CB

Blinky Bill had one with me.................He agrees.

Jeeze mate, that's a terrible indictment :o

:D

That was a hamburger we had together. Not a sexual experience.

Are you trying to tell us that tigerbeer does not agree with you sexually? What's his position?

Edited by Rasseru

Blinky Bill had one with me.................He agrees.

Jeeze mate, that's a terrible indictment :o

:D

That was a hamburger we had together. Not a sexual experience.

Are you trying to tell us that tigerbeer does not agree with you sexually? What's his position?

Positions? Please, rasseru, not the positions!