Stabiliser Or Not?

nod

Hello.

I have a pool with a salt water chlorination system. When I read the user manual, it seems to stress quite strongly that a stabiliser should be introduced to reduce "strain" on the system and reduce salt consumption. However all the local pool guys seem to regard this as unecessary and that's even if they've heard of it! Any opinions from anyone please?

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello.

I have a pool with a salt water chlorination system. When I read the user manual, it seems to stress quite strongly that a stabiliser should be introduced to reduce "strain" on the system and reduce salt consumption. However all the local pool guys seem to regard this as unecessary and that's even if they've heard of it! Any opinions from anyone please?

Cheers.

Conditioner (cyanuric acid) is very helpful in stabilising the chlorine level. It is not a matter of salt consumption, since salt is not consumed by the system. Rather, it is a matter of using the pump/chlorinator much less and thus saving electricity and wear on the system. I was amazed at the level of ignorance of my pool contractor (JD Pools, one of the biggest in Thailand) about this.

Neil

Hello.

Cheers.

Conditioner (cyanuric acid) is very helpful in stabilising the chlorine level. It is not a matter of salt consumption, since salt is not consumed by the system. Rather, it is a matter of using the pump/chlorinator much less and thus saving electricity and wear on the system. I was amazed at the level of ignorance of my pool contractor (JD Pools, one of the biggest in Thailand) about this.

Neil

Conditioner (cyanuric acid) is very helpful in stabilising the chlorine level = correct. one caveat though. if the concentration is above 50ppm chlorine loses its bactericidal function. keeping CYA at level between 30 and 50ppm is an extremely difficult task.