Kraa Bop

Sir_Sanuk

Definately "Krap pom". Direct translation is "yes sir" but in reality it is used as a variation on the basic "krap", if slightly more polite.

As for "krap bop", I have never heard this variation....

Edited by ashacat

Definately "Krap pom". Direct translation is "yes sir" but in reality it is used as a variation on the basic "krap", if slightly more polite.

As for "krap bop", I have never heard this variation....

Thanks.. my Thai colleague tells me it is used sometimes in MSN coversations.

In this case คร้าบบ is indeed "krubb..." drawing out the word to make it sound playful (as the OP probably figured out), The OP's initial misunderstanding of it being "kraa bop" incurred from seeing the two together (bb) and thinking it was another word as opposed to just drawing out the end of the worddddddd....

There is such a thing as ครับผม (krub pom) but it's not was intended for the OP's situation.

as an extra: a playful spellings of "krub pom" might be ครับป๋ม (krub-bpom)

edit: made Thai fonts a little bigger

Edited by siamesekitty

In this case คร้าบบ is indeed "krubb..." drawing out the word to make it sound playful (as the OP probably figured out), The OP's initial misunderstanding of it being "kraa bop" incurred from seeing the two together (bb) and thinking it was another word as opposed to just drawing out the end of the worddddddd....

There is such a thing as ครับผม (krub pom) but it's not was intended for the OP's situation.

as an extra: a playful spellings of "krub pom" might be ครับป๋ม (krub-bpom)

edit: made Thai fonts a little bigger

And they say Thai is not that difficult to learn ! :o

คร้าบบ - kraa bop

Can you give us a context? Did you see the Thai word written this way or is it your phonetic spelling in Thai? The only word that seems similar is " คร้าน [V] be lazy; be indolent; be slothful"

Another possiblity is "ระบบ [N] system; method; procedure", or as mentioned above, " กระผม [PRON] I; me"

Oh come on David, don't tell us you've never typed anything informal before! สงสัยไม่เคย chat กับใครแน่เลยยยย... :o

หวัดดีคร้าบบบบบ...

สวัสดีค่าาาาาา...

หิวข้าวจังงงงง...

จะไปกินข้าวแล้วจ้าาาาาาา...

Edited by siamesekitty

As an aside, sometimes I've seen an elongated form of NA นะ eg

มาโหวตให้เค้าหน่อยซี่.....น๊าาาาา - Come and vote for me....pleaseeeee!

I wonder if this elongated form of นะ adds emphasis? (a bit like the english 'pleaseeeeee!', which can add an emphatic, pleading quality).

Or am I reading too much into this?

Although ครับผม is far too underutilized by many ex-pat Thai speakers, especially when dealing with bureaucrats whilst visiting their administrative offices. I can think of no phrase that can open more doors or effectively grease rusty wheels without the need for tea money as the insertion of a well placed ครับผม. :o