Satit School

TheAceFace

Can anybody give any feedback of those who have children at this school, I understand that their English program is now underway and I am thinking of sending my son there this coming term.

Hopefully some positive feedback on how the children are progressing and info on the overall performance of this school, Is it a good place to send the kids and what are your thoughts on the standard of education?

Does anybody have a price structure for Satit?

Any input (good or bad) from teachers who teach there is welcome also.

Thanks guy's.

Ace

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You would be better off taking your son to a bar to learn English. Save your money and just ask the drunk, old men in the bars to tutor your son.

Good luck.

My experiences with that school were all terrible. It is a money grabbing factory and an authentic English program simply doesn't exist.

They do not provide books, materials, paper, assignments, homework, or a curriculum. So, if anyone on this thread wishes to chime in on how great this place is, then please provide facts that you can back up. My statements can be backed up with solid evidence from three former teachers.

Tuition structure: The formula that they use is to take as much money as they can get from the parents and give nothing back in educational value.

The owner of this school is also the owner of the famous Alcazar Gay Show. I think they should stick with entertainment and not bother with education.

However, they figured out another way to earn big money....take your money for an English program that simply does not offer any value.

Good luck.

Well I have 2 in the English program and they get absoliutely everything supplied, books etc.. I have had great experience here since they moved.

Good teachers, great facilities and 2 very happy children learning in a respectful environment.

The English program is only one term old so it is still I am not sure how you have had children in it and withdrawn them already.

My advise to anyone is have a look and talk to the teachers and principal, as the above is not at all what I have experienced.

Definately not going to get into a fight over it but do not take mine or anyone elses advice go look and make up your own mind.

Feel free to PM me if you want other information theaceface

Maybe they are trying to change the program. However, the didn't change the owners. So, beware of the baht that you spend.

They may be providing books now, but you may wish to sit in on several classes to see what they are actually doing, or not doing.

Have you checked out their homework? Do they have tests? What is the behavior in the classroom? Are they fighting?

One of the expat teachers that used to work there actually walked into the bathroom and saw two students doing it. They must have been 14 years old.

I don't think that is the Bang for the Buck that you are hoping to find in your son's education?????

My step daughter is at this school but not in the English program.

She is very happy there and seems to be improving rapidly since changing from a Bangkok school. Her English is coming on well but obviously not as quick as if she were in the English program. I will change her up to the English program when I feel she is at a comfortable level and will not be out of her depth.

Personally, I think this is a good school. It has very good facilities and Farang English teachers. Trips, food and books are all provided as well as a good sports program. Compared to others in the area, I think its very good value for money.

The most important thing though is that my daughter is happy there.

Like many other bi-lingual schools, Sahtit is using Filipinos (non-native English speaking teachers) in the English programme now. Cheaper and just as passive as their Thai counterparts!!!

This is just not true.. I have met 90% of the EP teachers all from the UK USA etc.

Try to remember that when you look at a school, one should consider the history, as well as the current status. More importantly, the future directions of the school. If they are on the mend, then that is a good sign. However, if it is just a temporary show to acquire your money and then they fall back to their old patterns, then watch out.

In the past, this was a TERRIBLE school. Yes, it was a beautiful place and this is part of the charm. However, don't judge a book by it's cover. Certainly, don't judge this school by the fresh paint and new trees. I would prefer registering my son in a prison school system instead of this fantasy island. You know, they serve food and have books in a prison too!!! Try testing your children after the end of the next term and see if they truly made progress. Oh, before you can do that, you have to test them now for a baseline. Did they offer to test the students already? If not, then they are already behind.

Good luck.

Like many other bi-lingual schools, Sahtit is using Filipinos (non-native English speaking teachers) in the English programme now. Cheaper and just as passive as their Thai counterparts!!!

This is just not true.. I have met 90% of the EP teachers all from the UK USA etc.

But it is true.....consider the 10% that you haven't met!!!!! I promise you that this school, like other ones in Thailand, is using Filipinos. Anyway, I didn't refer to an English programme given entirely by non-English speakers....did I? I can give you names....but I won't!!

I have been to the school and, yes, the facilities are impressive but according to a colleague, who is moving his daughter at the end of this term, the discipline is abyssmal.

But it is true.....consider the 10% that you haven't met!!!!! I promise you that this school, like other ones in Thailand, is using Filipinos. Anyway, I didn't refer to an English programme given entirely by non-English speakers....did I? I can give you names....but I won't!!

I have been to the school and, yes, the facilities are impressive but according to a colleague, who is moving his daughter at the end of this term, the discipline is abyssmal.

Well so far I have seen good disipline and good resect being taught. I have no hidden agenda, infact I would rather not have all of the Best parents move their kids here it's a nice balance at present. But I have had only good experiences so far.

........in fact I would rather not have all of the Best parents move their kids here it's a nice balance at present. But I have had only good experiences so far.

Now there's an interesting comment!!! Please could you explain. Thank you.

Edited by Taijitu

........in fact I would rather not have all of the Best parents move their kids here it's a nice balance at present. But I have had only good experiences so far.

I,ll go furthur than that....................its a stupid comment.

The children at BEST are a problem?

The parents are a problem?

Regarding all the previous posts about BEST I was under the impression that the management and the facilities were a problem for some parents.................not the children.

Edited by stevemiddie

Regarding all the previous posts about BEST I was under the impression that the management and the facilities were a problem for some parents.................not the children.

Right on Steve :o . It was a stupid and an arrogant comment. Let's see if we get an explanation from 'chanman'.

Right on Steve :o . It was a stupid and an arrogant comment. Let's see if we get an explanation from 'chanman'.

Very simple, in my opinion the balance between Thai and Farrang kids at the sattit is good, an influx of 700 more (note I said ALL) would not be possitive. IMHO

I am not sure what is stupid or arrogant about my opinion as it is hyperthetical anyway as there will never be a mass exodus as such.

I was making a point that I have no hidden motive to praise sattit.

I would suggest that you read the lines rather than trying to find a hidden meaning between them that is not there. My post was pretty straigh forward if you can actualy read.

Very simple, in my opinion the balance between Thai and Farrang kids at the sattit is good, an influx of 700 more (note I said ALL) would not be possitive. IMHO

I am not sure what is stupid or arrogant about my opinion as it is hyperthetical anyway as there will never be a mass exodus as such.

I would suggest that you read the lines rather than trying to find a hidden meaning between them that is not there. My post was pretty straigh forward if you can actualy read.

"Hyperthetical" or not, you made your opinion public and, by doing so, you invited comment. Your initial post, supported by your last offering, seemed to suggest that only farang children attended BEST and if "all" of the BEST parents moved their offspring to Sahtit then this nebulous balance would be compromised. Take a look at the student distribution at BEST some day. There are many Thai children.

I'm sure that you don't have a hidden motive to praise Sahtit......why should you? Furthermore, my reading ability is excellent but, seriously, I would recommend that you use a spell checker before you submit your posts.....and, by the way, the word is hypothetical. :o

"Hyperthetical" or not, you made your opinion public and, by doing so, you invited comment. Your initial post, supported by your last offering, seemed to suggest that only farang children attended BEST and if "all" of the BEST parents moved their offspring to Sahtit then this nebulous balance would be compromised. Take a look at the student distribution at BEST some day. There are many Thai children.

I'm sure that you don't have a hidden motive to praise Sahtit......why should you? Furthermore, my reading ability is excellent but, seriously, I would recommend that you use a spell checker before you submit your posts.....and, by the way, the word is hypothetical. :o

Do you have children at either school?

I fail to see the relevance of your question in this instance. Please, what is your point?

I live in a condominium not too far from both schools. As far as I am aware, and I could be wrong, there are no resident children attending Sahtit. However, I do know that there are at least six resident children attending BEST. The ethnic distribution of these six children is:

Pure Thai 4 children

"Look Kreung" 2 children

(There are no pure "farang" children resident in this condominium, other than those on vacation).

If we assume that this is a representative sample of the student roll at BEST, how does this distribution compare with your perceived "nice balance" at Sahtit? Also, please would you elaborate on your definition of a "nice balance"? I'm baffled!!

Thank you.

I fail to see the relevance of your question in this instance. Please, what is your point?

I live in a condominium not too far from both schools. As far as I am aware, and I could be wrong, there are no resident children attending Sahtit. However, I do know that there are at least six resident children attending BEST. The ethnic distribution of these six children is:

Pure Thai 4 children

"Look Kreung" 2 children

(There are no pure "farang" children resident in this condominium, other than those on vacation).

If we assume that this is a representative sample of the student roll at BEST, how does this distribution compare with your perceived "nice balance" at Sahtit? Also, please would you elaborate on your definition of a "nice balance"? I'm baffled!!

Thank you.

Again nothing to read between the lines as you seem intent on doing even when there is only one line posted, I asked so that I would know what first hand experience you have of parenting children at either school, which you have now explained for every one.

My step daughter attended for 2 years, but this was a couple of years ago. Soon after starting, they called us in to tell they thought there was a learning disability and went with us to the doctor to discuss the problem and the agreed treatment. They were active in the treatment and gave us weekly reports on how she was doing. I do understand that the headmaster at that time has been replaced, so things could have changed.

I am always suspicious when people are so vehement in the criticism of a school (or any business) that they use terms like “prison”, “better learning a bar”, etc. The only people that use terms like that have an axe to grind. That is ok, but come out and say what your issue is.

TH

I am always suspicious when people are so vehement in the criticism of a school (or any business) that they use terms like "prison", "better learning a bar", etc. The only people that use terms like that have an axe to grind. That is ok, but come out and say what your issue is.

TH

I concur with this totally Thaihome.

Again nothing to read between the lines as you seem intent on doing even when there is only one line posted, I asked so that I would know what first hand experience you have of parenting children at either school, which you have now explained for every one.

Chanman, please believe me, I am not "reading between the lines". I understood your question perfectly but I considered it to be not pertinent to the thread in that instance and replied to that effect.

Furthermore, I am picking up on your own words; words that you wrote and appear reluctant to explain their meaning. Please, and I'll repeat the query again, what do you mean by a "nice balance". That's a simple and straightforward question, or not?

...and, if you feel you must know, yes I have children at 'either school'! See, you were reading between the lines when, initially, I declined to answer.

Edit: Removal of emoticon

Edited by Taijitu

Agreed , the Filipinos are used in the Thai school section to teach English.

In the EP they have Western teachers.

School is clean and safe and my kids are happy there, if I could afford Regents I'd send them there.

Our daughter has been attending Satit for close to 4 years now and we're very satisfied with the school. She is not going in the English program as she already speaks and writes fluent English and Thai and we found it was better for her to strengthen her (already excellent) Thai language skills with a view on future university studies in Thailand.

If money was not an issue we would probably prefer one of the International schools such as GIS or Regents followed by Yale or Cambridge, but unfortunately we have to be realistic...

She attended Wuttichot prior to Satit and that was a disaster. Teachers changing monthly, nothing provided (books or materials, we had to tour the town to find everything, usually at the last moment), eating outdoor, toilets not working, etc.

Edited by Phil Conners

No axe to grind. Nothing to gain and nothing to lose with my viewpoints.

I am simply making statements about prison life as a bit of a stretch of the imagination. Of course, Satit is better than a prison. However, if you look at the replies from Phil Conners, you will see his beef with Wutichot. Satit was exactly the same in the past. No materials, no books, no pens, no paper, NO TESTS, NO Curriculum, Terrible behavior, NO Discipline, etcc....

The last time I visited Satit, I witnessed a 9 year old boy jump off of the top of the 4 story building. He managed to escape with only an injured leg.

Where was the supervision? What about safety? Why was he out during school hours, climbing and jumping off of dangerous roof tops?

The old headmaster was a mistress. She was a real mistress from a bondage house nearby. So, my opinions are a bit funny, but they are true as well. Satit is the worst school that I have ever visited. If you think that the school has made enough changes for the better, than go ahead and send your kids there. Again, I have nothing to gain and nothing to lose. However, if you value your children and their education, you might wish to home school over going to Satit.

Edited by innovator