People's Alliance For Democracy To Renew Movement

sriracha john

Thaksin regime revival will see street protests: PAD

The People's Alliance for Democracy issued a statement yesterday warning of an "eruption of chaos if the government acts as a puppet of the Thaksin regime."

"It has been proven clearly that the Samak Sundaravej government is, in fact, the reflection of the Thaksin Shinawatra administration," the PAD said in its statement.

It claimed the government was working to benefit one man, the ousted prime minister Thaksin, instead of serving 63 million people.

The government "meddled with media reports, removed DSI Chief Sunai Manomai-udom - who was in charge of many cases involving Thaksin - and promoted Thawee Sodsong, seen as a Thaksin ally, to replace Sunai, just days ahead of the announcement of Thaksin's planned return," it said.

The PAD statement said it anticipated the revival of street protests and resolved:

= PAD activities will resume once again to counter the Samak government seen as bent on serving the Thaksin regime.

= The Election Commission should punish those involved in campaign violations and petition the Constitution Court for a judicial review to dismantle the People Power Party on grounds it was a nominee of the disbanded Thai Rak Thai Party.

= Prime Minister Samak should prove his loyalty to the Monarchy by ceasing to be a Thaksin puppet.

= The government should review its transfer orders designed to help Thaksin and his family members elude the law.

= Opposition to Thaksin's return would continue while there are attempts to tamper with legal and judicial proceedings. PAD would not oppose Thaksin returning to fight his charges without interfering with the judiciary.

= The Samak government must stop intimidating the media.

= People, including civil servants, soldiers and policemen - should unite in monitoring the activities of politicians and bureaucrats loyal to the Thaksin administration in order to brace themselves to battle the regime.

- The Nation

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jakaprob is the most dangerous man in that party but should be the first to have the carpet pulled from under his feet.

He'll never know what hit him.

This new government gives me the creeps.

I have never wanted to move my family out of here as much as I do now.

Edited by Tony Clifton

Sadly, the next uprising is going to be a lot less benign than last time. Ultimately, I guess everything will work out for the best - whatever that is.

I sure hope that I'm wrong about all of the above.

I completely agree with your assessment. And frankly, it it really scares me and I'm not sure I want to be in Thailand when it all goes down. I'm worried that the PPP will smash the protesters so hard it will make Black Monday look like a picnic.

Good luck to the PAD though, they're going to have to be much braver than last time.

toss the lot in jail - there interest is only in causing divisiveness in thailand.

These people are the only ones in this country who have the guts to stand up and fight the corruption.

Sure toss them in jail, that what's probably gonna happen anyway. I hope you're being sarcastic.

Thai society is sick; it's corrupt and greedy and selfishness seems to be a national moral value.

Respect to those who dare to take it to the streets. PAD go for it.

Their only interest, especially Sondhi, is that there not be a another PM like Thaksin who refused to share the pie to their own peculiar standards of appropriateness. All the groups still hold that old school Thai belief that politics is all about kin muang.

Yes, and Sondhi would appear to admit as much when he agreed with interviewer Shawn W. Crispin (Asia Times, April 27, 2007) that he held the role of DEFACTO SPOKESMAN OF THE FEUDAL ELITE.

Sadly, the next uprising is going to be a lot less benign than last time. Ultimately, I guess everything will work out for the best - whatever that is.

I sure hope that I'm wrong about all of the above.

I completely agree with your assessment. And frankly, it it really scares me and I'm not sure I want to be in Thailand when it all goes down. I'm worried that the PPP will smash the protesters so hard it will make Black Monday look like a picnic.

Good luck to the PAD though, they're going to have to be much braver than last time.

With this in mind, PAD has a function. Society is sick. There's no true democracy, because I feel that the Samak/Thaksin groups will react violently. What is democracy anyway? The George Bush version, definitely not!

Remember all, the last coup started with Thaksin supporters beating up old men and ladies during, at that point, peaceful protests. Threats were made that forest rangers would attack another PAD gathering.

The PAD protested against Thaksin, who in his position as PM changed the laws on foreign business ownership, and consequently sold his stake in Shin.

In countries so sick and and corrupted, its either protests or revolution. It's inevitable.

And to say that the majority voted/wants Thaksin/Samak is true, but not for the absolute number of braincells/IQ.

Let's be honest. Even Hitler would win in a landslide in this country, where people have no involvement what so ever.

Mai pen rai.

My prediction:

1. PPP is about to announce the date of Thaksin's return - and they intend to exonerate him of any charges against him. They will announce a return date that is a few weeks (or months) in the future.

If one can believe Thaksin's website, it'll be in a few days, on Thursday, Feb. 28.

toss the lot in jail - there interest is only in causing divisiveness in thailand.

These people are the only ones in this country who have the guts to stand up and fight the corruption.

Sure toss them in jail, that what's probably gonna happen anyway. I hope you're being sarcastic.

Thai society is sick; it's corrupt and greedy and selfishness seems to be a national moral value.

Respect to those who dare to take it to the streets. PAD go for it.

Their only interest, especially Sondhi, is that there not be a another PM like Thaksin who refused to share the pie to their own peculiar standards of appropriateness. All the groups still hold that old school Thai belief that politics is all about kin muang.

I think you do a disservice to many in the PAD, if not most. What evidence do you have that people like Suriyasai or Pipob have ever gin muang themselves or supported others to?

Quite curious Johpa, as you normally come across as having a good grasp on Thai politics, but this time you've lost me. :o

At this point in time in Thailand's history, it might be in the interest of certain PAD so-called "core-leaders" to concentrate on their respective vocations: a certain news-media magnate should perhaps stick to news-media-related matters and a certain cult leader should perhaps perfect his vipassana meditation techniques. Mr. Chalerm and ohers may now be thinking in terms of once bitten, twice shy. It would be ironic to read future news reports concerning PAD members living permanently abroad: ironic, but perhaps inevitable and deservingly so in the interest of stability in this country.

The movie stars they are, craving for the spot light!

At this point in time in Thailand's history, it might be in the interest of certain PAD so-called "core-leaders" to concentrate on their respective vocations: a certain news-media magnate should perhaps stick to news-media-related matters and a certain cult leader should perhaps perfect his vipassana meditation techniques. Mr. Chalerm and ohers may now be thinking in terms of once bitten, twice shy. It would be ironic to read future news reports concerning PAD members living permanently abroad: ironic, but perhaps inevitable and deservingly so in the interest of stability in this country.

And give all Thailands right, money direct to the corrupt, never realy electected Dictator Thaksin (200 Baht for one vote before this time even more)

h90, get real, prove it! I have been to many polling booths with my wife, O baht paid and TRT and PPP won each time. I repeat, prove it, your hearsay is boring and without thought or consideration that a majority of Thai's have again chosen there desitiny, and it's NOT the Demorcrat Party....... accept it unless you have something intelligent to say.

I agree this will not be good, and if I missed it the PAD should spell out exactly where the government tampered with the courts/legal system that is one of their key issues. I agree with the majority of your posts that this will not be good. There is one thing that seems to be missing and that it is was Thaksin’s goal to call for martial law in Bangkok. It appears he is not making the same mistakes twice. Martial law will probably come if any of the PAD protesters so much as fart citing it as an attack. under martial law they can stop any investigation into the corruption.

Edited by John K

^^^ in the minority I might add. Most of thailand supports Mr T. :o

can we stop repeating this?

If that was the case PPP would have won a massive outright majority....and we know FOR A FACT that they did not.

I do however agree with your assessment, this was the reason for the coup in the first place, as Newin allegedly had a mob coming in to clash with PAD the next day so that a state of martial law could be called and Thaksin could take effective control of the military arm once and for all with the country's support.

Sadly for him..... it didn't work that time.

THis time.....I suspect it will.

The guy is a total <deleted>, and unlike others I say that as someone who sort of knows him and his party.

Interior Minister warns PAD about rally against ex-PM’s return

Interior Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung says objections against the return to the country of ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra by the People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD) might be deemed illegal.

However, the minister affirms he will facilitate and provide security for PAD during their demonstrations as long as the protestors behave in line with laws. He also voiced support for movements to inspect the government and expressed his confidence that there will be no clash between the protestors and the authorities.

Regarding concerns that the cases of the former premier might be interfered with, the minister says it is not easy to influence the panels of judges in charge of the cases.

- ThaiNews

-----------------------------------------------------------------

"not easy, but still quite do-able"

I think this is more bark than bite from the legal or illegal point. This exact case came to court with the exact same players and the PAD won. Clearly Thaksin is uncomfortable with this. The next question is has the Forest service been rearmed yet?

PAD represents millions of Thais who are fed up with Thaksin. They will always have leaders, not matter what. Neither Sondhi nor Sonhti claim that they handled Thaskin singlehandedly - their only strenght was in massive public support.

PAD leaders have been quiet for nearly two years because that was the mood among their supporters but with return of Thaksin that is bound to change, and the leaders must be ready to take charge. They are preparing themselves now, nothing unusual about that.

My prediction:

1. PPP is about to announce the date of Thaksin's return - and they intend to exonerate him of any charges against him. They will announce a return date that is a few weeks (or months) in the future.

If one can believe Thaksin's website, it'll be in a few days, on Thursday, Feb. 28.

Returning from self imposed political exile can be injurious to one's health. :o

Chalerm: Obstructing Thaksin return may be illegal

Attempts by anti-Thaksin groups to obstruct the return of the ousted premier on Thursday may be deemed illegal, Interior Minister Chalerm Yubamrung said Tuesday. Chalerm's statement, although he did not elaborate, came in response to People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD)'s move on Monday to regroup and to try to block or protest the return of Thaksin. PAD said it did not object to Thaksin's return to the country if he enters a judicial system that is free of interference. But it said his regime interfered in the system so he remained a problem. Chalerm said he is ready to facilitate the deposed PM if the PAD holds demonstrations. He also said he will receive Thaksin himself at Suvarnabhumi airport. PM's Office Minister Jakrapob Penkair called on every party to bring the country back to normalcy. He also warned the PAD not to stage any violent activity against Thaksin's return, because it could dampen hope for an improved economy.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=126158

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The instigator and leader of a riot is warning others not to be violent??????????? :o:D <deleted>???????

Edited by sriracha john

"PAD is warning this government the political crisis will be worse than in 2006 if it continues to whitewash the charges against Thaksin," PAD spokesman Suriyasai Takasila said. "Thousands will take to the streets again if Thaksin returns and does not face trial in court in accordance with the law."

- Associated Press

He also warned the PAD not to stage any violent activity against Thaksin's return, because it could dampen hope for an improved economy.

So without Thaksin's safe & un-protested return, the PPP-led coalition government might fail, to deliver upon all their pre-election promises to improve the economy ? Well that's a new excuse, anyway ! Full marks for originality & creativity. :o

He also warned the PAD not to stage any violent activity against Thaksin's return, because it could dampen hope for an improved economy.

So without Thaksin's safe & un-protested return, the PPP-led coalition government might fail, to deliver upon all their pre-election promises to improve the economy ? Well that's a new excuse, anyway ! Full marks for originality & creativity. :o

With an extra special gold star for hypocrisy & audacity...

PM's Office Minister Jakrapob:

2.jpg

who was arrested and charged as a leader and an instigator of this:

pic_5.jpg

and this:

pic_11.jpg

is now warning the victims of violence like this:

pic_51.jpg

and this:

549000012467001.jpg

NOT to use violence in their protests...

Utterly polarized Thai people, Chownah.

Amongst the people I know, the hatred for Thaksin is very much still there. They are sick to their stomach with the way this has turned out, especially given the credibility of the ruling PM, and have no faith in the views of at least half the population being represented fairly. Patience with people who will sell the country out at 200 baht a pop is also at an all time low.

I hate melodramatic posts sprinkled with doom and gloom, but optimism is in short supply amongst the locals I hear from.

The instigator and leader of a riot is warning others not to be violent???????????

Yes, of course, its his job to warn them, then it is his job to supress them if they turn violent...thats how it works. Seems to me that its not difficult to understand. Riots are often instigated specifically so that the authorities will cause blood to flow which arouses the emotions of yet greater masses...its the martyr thing....sick...but sometimes effective. In case you don't know...the way the game works is that if he doesn't warn them then they can say the violence came without warning...but since he's warned them he can feel free to act and then after the violence he can say, "I warned you!" That's the way the game is played......maybe you don't like this game?....if not then my suggestion is to not follow current events so closely...if you follow current events closely in Thailand it is almost inevitable that you will see this game played...if you don't want to see it then don't look.

Chownah, you caloused idiot...you talk as if this was a game and you are a cheerleader...how insensitive you are to the awful treatement blah blah blah....and besides your not really striking enough to be a cheerleader.

Sorry to seem so flippant....this is serious business....but it is not a secret how it works so might as well try to keep a clear mind free from emotional disturbance so that one can see clearly what is happening and come to some understanding....or not.

Chownah

BREAKING NEWS

Army chief urges all sides to accept Thaksin return

(BangkokPost.com) - Army chief Gen Anupong Paojinda has urged all sides to accept the imminent return of ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra so that he can fight corruption charges against him.

He also warned of the possibility that a third party may seek to create unrest if Mr Thaksin returned.

"So far we have detected no suspicious activity that may point to possible violence," he said. "Personally, I don't think that there will be anti-Thaksin protests."

He stressed that it is the police's priority to ensure public orderliness but if military assistance is needed, the government would first have to approve of the plan.

Edited by chevykanteve

I think you do a disservice to many in the PAD, if not most. What evidence do you have that people like Suriyasai or Pipob have ever gin muang themselves or supported others to?

Quite curious Johpa, as you normally come across as having a good grasp on Thai politics, but this time you've lost me. :o

I of course have no evidence about specific people having kin muang. I did attend a talk by Sondhi last year that leads me to believe that his hostility towards anything smacking of "populist" policies and his clear disdain for the rural poor make him little different than the countless political leaders before him, although he did disavow any claims to being a politician. But perhaps kin muang politics is no longer the appropriate metaphor as the corporate age emerges in Bangkok providing new layers of complexity and shadows to political corruption. I would be willing to give PAD more respect if they would kick Sondhi's sorry derriere out of the picture.

[ ]]

I am wondering if The Big Boss will divorce Weeping Willy if he comes back and gets back into politics. as I believe she once said she would?

What's all this talk of violence and riots. We should be looking forward to the media frenzy at Suwanapoom on Thursday when "He" returns to earth. Think of the family, Pantong ,Pintong & Pingpong. They have been without Daddy for too long. :o:D

:D

The PAD are on the march again, but they'll play it safe at first.

Perhaps a forum or workshop that will enable them to access and gauge the level of dissatisfaction and support amongst its core members concerning the probable return of Thaksin and other recent disturbing developments.

Then - a short while later - there will enivatably be the first public gathering of PAD supporters for a long time and this will surely be the acid test.

The 'authorities' under this mafia-led - Thaksin - Samak - gung-ho - hang 'em high - shoot first - totally lawless - without shame - corrupt - aggressive - violent outfit will undoubtedly come down hard - very hard - on any PAD protesters brave enough to show any public support for the PAD.

It's goin' to be nasty. Revenge is on the cards. The 'Night Of The Long Knives' comes to mind.

Events in BKK could even mimic events in Rangoon a few months ago. Sporadic and spontaneous small public gatherings of anti-Thaksin supporters in unannounced locations that are tenaciously and ruthlessly put-down by the terrible Samak and his newly found army cohorts and sycophants.

Count me in!