Samak Sundaravej was elected

Jai Dee

We're starting to get a few repeats, so for posters and journalists alike, the following terms have already been utilized for the new Prime Minister...

pugnacious

right-winger

monkey boy

sharp-tongued

combative

ultra-right wing

rabble-rouser

combative

proxy

pugnacious

loathed

bulbous nose

foul-mouthed pig

vitriolic

sharp-tongued

ultra-conservative

hot tempered

checkered past

fiery

abrasive

food-obsessed

Pig Man

porcine

Ai Dang Moo

scum

Acerbic

rude

turbulent

acid-tongued

There are presumably very few members who admire the PM, given his past record, although the fair minded among us are probably willing to give him a chance.Sometimes quite unpromising people do grow into a job with great responsibilities.Anyway my main point is that the insulting list above is really quite inappropriate on the day the PM has returned from the palace with royal endorsement.The problem of course is that otherwise reasonable people have become so paranoid about Thaksin that they lose touch with good manners and what is appropriate.

I have no problem with Samak being teased mercilessly but for heavens sake let's give the guy a break on his first few days!

Having read this post, I have just thought of another apt name, 'Complete Tosser' :o

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you aware that my post was nothing more than a quote of other posts? If you characterize it as hatred and childish, then those are attributes to be shared amongst all journalists and posters whose content was quoted.

This quite inadequate riposte has already been skewered.Without attributing too much weight to all trhis, I think there were some serious and valid reservations on your insulting post on the day the new PM received royal endorsement.I think on this day at least, in view of the foregoing, reservations could have been kept private.You could have chosen to apologise or even kept quiet, but your response was to accuse at least one member of flaming!

I thought the post was humorous, so quit moaning and whinging. If you despise SJ so much, put him on IGNORE.

You of all people must have balls of steel accusing someone of flaming. You are the worst offender. Pack it in :o

Samak gets a "good-luck" blow on the head

BANGKOK - Thailand's new prime minister Samak Sundaravej on Tuesday received a blow on the head from a senior monk who wished him well and longevity in office.

Phrakru Palad Sopit Chotikul, a senior monk from Wat Arun Rajavararam (the Temple of Dawn), also gave a Buddha statue entitled "Somdej Phra Maha Dhammik Chakrapadiraj" to Samak.

He said the name of the Buddha image was equivalent to "administering the country with the Lord Buddha's teachings," adding that Samak was suitable for the premiership.

In addition to the Buddha statue, the senior monk also put a necklace with an amulet around Samak's neck and wished him "good luck" with a blow on the new premier's head.

Meanwhile, Samak's residence in Bangkok's Buengkum neighbourhood was crowded with Thai and international media waiting patiently to report on the People Power Party leader's every movement.

Samak, however, confined himself in the house. He willingly welcomed Phrakru Palad Sopit Chotikul who called on him early in the morning.

According to an aide, the new premier had no plan to leave his residence on Tuesday.

- MCOT

No plans to leave his house today ? That seems odd, given the many urgent meetings which he must be involved with, trying to complete selection of his new Cabinet ? Perhaps they're all being held at his house, or could he be awaiting an important phone-call from overseas, with further instructions ? :o

We're starting to get a few repeats, so for posters and journalists alike, the following terms have already been utilized for the new Prime Minister...

pugnacious

right-winger

monkey boy

sharp-tongued

combative

ultra-right wing

rabble-rouser

combative

proxy

pugnacious

loathed

bulbous nose

foul-mouthed pig

vitriolic

sharp-tongued

ultra-conservative

hot tempered

checkered past

fiery

abrasive

food-obsessed

Pig Man

porcine

Ai Dang Moo

scum

Acerbic

rude

turbulent

acid-tongued

This has to be the low water mark post of the year :o Like or dislike Thailands government as much as you want, but remember that you are a guest in this country! What about if someone posted pictures of you on a forum with a list of insults like this one!

I'm not a guest here, so obviously my opinion counts to you. So I'll repeat:

pugnacious

right-winger

monkey boy

sharp-tongued

combative

ultra-right wing

rabble-rouser

combative

proxy

pugnacious

loathed

bulbous nose

foul-mouthed pig

vitriolic

sharp-tongued

ultra-conservative

hot tempered

checkered past

fiery

abrasive

food-obsessed

Pig Man

porcine

Ai Dang Moo

scum

Acerbic

rude

turbulent

acid-tongued

and I'll add one more

CORRUPT

Not sure if you were among those sticking flowers on tanks a year and a half ago, I don't know I wasn't a member then so I don't know what your position was at the time, but if you were among those welcoming the soldiers, then this government of dinosaurs is one of the sad realities of what their actions helped accomplish.

Oh, and it's already quite sad enough without the name calling.. It almost dilutes any argument you could be making.

Not sure if you were among those sticking flowers on tanks a year and a half ago, I don't know I wasn't a member then so I don't know what your position was at the time, but if you were among those welcoming the soldiers, then this government of dinosaurs is one of the sad realities of what their actions helped accomplish.

Oh, and it's already quite sad enough without the name calling.. It almost dilutes any argument you could be making.

don't worry, in my younger days I was a bit player in Australian youth politics. My favourite politician is Paul Keating. Google "scumbag archives", and you'll know mean. Classic.

As for the tanks. I didn't down to Ratchamdamoen Nok, but I wish I could have. My position has been consitently the same. Thaksin was a crook and needed to be gotten rid of. I never liked him admittedly, even back to the Palang Dharma days.

The inistutions in Thailand weren't doing their job, and Thailand was more of a dictatorship under Dear Leader than it was ever under the Junta. Call me a crank, but free speech was alot more accepted under the Junta than ever was under TRT.

As for the competency of the old government, again, people will think I am a crank, but Cabinet was filled with experts who were asked by their King to work for their country. To a person, they did so. I know one or two of them in passing, and they were the best in their field, who actually knew how to get things done. Their work in the past 14 months was quiet and not sexy, putting back in place normal transparent administrative structures that Thaksin had destroyed by politising the entire civil service. Indepedent regulators, a independent auditor general, a revenue department who isn't afraid to tax the Shinawatra family.

Hey but that is my informed position.

Where we are now was always going to happen. The democrats don't have the numbers, and the marketing/con job of TRT/PPP on the rural folk is persuasive. Added to that, the Thai electorate have an extremely short memory. Very few places in the world would re-elect the same people who cause the asian financial crisis back in the 1990's.

The Prime Minister was the leader of a democratically elected government ,which by the way had all the odds stacked against it , he

deserves the job and the PPP deserve to be in Government ,why all the arguments ,THIS IS DEMOCRACY AND A FREE WORLD , NOT SOLDIERS DECIDING WHAT IS BEST

The Prime Minister was the leader of a democratically elected government ,which by the way had all the odds stacked against it , he

deserves the job and the PPP deserve to be in Government ,why all the arguments ,THIS IS DEMOCRACY AND A FREE WORLD , NOT SOLDIERS DECIDING WHAT IS BEST

This is so true.

One of the reasons we came here in the first place was because it was different.

Vive la difference!

The Prime Minister was the leader of a democratically elected government ,which by the way had all the odds stacked against it , he deserves the job and the PPP deserve to be in Government ,why all the arguments ,THIS IS DEMOCRACY AND A FREE WORLD , NOT SOLDIERS DECIDING WHAT IS BEST

Thank you for posting that, Ray.

Always nice to hear an informed opinion.

Image111222333.jpg

Image1112223334.jpg

Former Chart Thai Deputy Leader Chuwit Kamolvisit

Thailand Outlook

Chuwit Lashes out Once Again at Chart Thai Leader

In one of his most public stunts, the former Chart Thai Party Deputy Leader today lashed out against Chart Thai Party Leader Banharn Silapa-archa for being fickle about his political point of view.

Shortly after Parliament convened to elect the 25th Prime Minister of Thailand, Chuwit Kamolvisit held a press conference calling for coalition MPs to blindfold themselves when they vote to elect the new prime minister.

Chuwit claims the PM they are allegedly electing is not in Thailand. He says the person coalition MPs are actually voting for is in Hong Kong.

Former Chart Thai Party Deputy Leader Chuwit Kamolvisit is one of the most vocal politicians in Thailand. He’s recently resigned from the Chart Thai Party after a fall-out with the Party Leader.

Chuwit has been openly criticizing Banharn Silapa-archa for changing his political standpoint and Chart Thai’s initial vow not to join hands with the People Power Party.

Chuwit arrived at Parliament today before the PM vote began with a mobile van unit, equipped with a large screen projector. Showed on the projector is a VDO clip of Banharn Silapa-archa saying the Chart Thai Party will not form a coalition with the People Power Party.

Chuwit says he will drive the mobile van unit around Bangkok to allow Bangkok residents to watch the VDO clip for seven days sand seven nights starting from today.

Meanwhile the Chart Thai Party abstained from nominating its party leader Banharn as one of the prime minister candidates in the voting this morning.

At the voting this morning Banharn and his daughter MP Kanchana Silapa-archa voted for PPP leader Samak Sundaravej as the prime minister of Thailand.

- Thailand Outlook

Banharn threatens to sue Chuwit for 100 Million Baht

Chart Thai Party Leader Banharn Silpa-archa has threatened to file both civil and criminal lawsuits demanding 100 million baht from former Party Deputy Leader Chuwit Kamolvisit for allegedly defaming him. Kasem Sorasakkasem, the Chairman of the Chart Thai Party's legal advisory team, said Chuwit's press conference in front of party headquarters on Jan 18 when Chuwit showed Banharn's image would be a clear piece of evidence to substantiate the defamation charges. Chuwit hit out at Banharn for going back on his word to not be a part of a government led by the People Power Party. The party's legal team will also look into Chuwit's press conference in front of parliament yesterday to see whether it contained any

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/29Jan2008_news13.php

====================================

Chart Thai is a coalition partner with the same folks that cornered the market on lawsuits...

...People Power Party leader Samak Sundaravej was elected as the new prime minister with 310 votes...The roll call voting was held after MPs disputed for 2 hours and 40 minutes as to whether a debate should be held before the voting.

This is what the current constitution of Thailand says about the procedure:

Section 172. The House of Representatives shall complete its consideration and approval of the person suitable to be appointed as Prime Minister within thirty days as from the day the National Assembly is convoked for the first sitting under section 127.

No debate about the suitability of the nominated candidates, it appears, but it wouldn’t have made a difference in the result of the vote anyway, would it?

--

Maestro

The Prime Minister was the leader of a democratically elected government ,which by the way had all the odds stacked against it , he deserves the job and the PPP deserve to be in Government ,why all the arguments ,THIS IS DEMOCRACY AND A FREE WORLD , NOT SOLDIERS DECIDING WHAT IS BEST

In a similar fashion, would Ray care to expound any on the background of his opinion?

I don't suppose then you saw the Thai journalist association building (Paholyothin Soi 7 in BKK) back in 2003 covered in TRT posters and banners then? I'm sure that was a volountary action on their behalf.

Free speech, free Thailand?. As we Australians like to say (even the halvies like me): Pigs arse!

My position has been consitently the same. Thaksin was a crook and needed to be gotten rid of. I never liked him admittedly, even back to the Palang Dharma days.

That's a fair and valid opinion in itself. Where I start to place question marks is when people are so extremist in their hatred of a successful politician that they're also willing to sacrifice an emerging democratic system for the sole benefit of a ruling elite feeling threatened by a political party that got too big/powerful.

For sure the Democrat party will be in power some time in the near future. But they too will be limited in what they can and cannot do, they too will have to check back not to go against people/groups who apparently hold the real power. And if they ever want to amend the constitution, they may find that having half the senate not democratically elected will become an obstacle for them too, as indeed it will be for Thailand as a whole.

As for the competency of the old government, again, people will think I am a crank, but Cabinet was filled with experts who were asked by their King to work for their country. To a person, they did so. I know one or two of them in passing, and they were the best in their field, who actually knew how to get things done.

You know, that's really not the point? Even if they did a completely stellar job, (which I feel they didn't, need I link the Economist article again), but EVEN if they did, STILL the precedent has been set that the military can interfere in government at any time. STILL Thailand is about to suffer from a government of derelict dinosaurs. STILL the whole world has lost confidence in the stability of Thailand. And STILL Thailand is stuck with a rigged constitution.

You're effectively back in the Banharn/Chavalit years, the very unstable years following the 1991 coup and 1992 massacre.

So adding all that together, I think the coup SEVERELY hurt Thailand and set it back at least a decade.

Hey but that is my informed position.

Fair enough. Especially fair enough about you not liking Thaksin but liking the military installed government. But Thailand will never be a democracy until Thais grow some spine and resist military coups.. Or, if you will, establish a democratic political system that's strong enough to resist coups.

Where we are now was always going to happen. The democrats don't have the numbers, and the marketing/con job of TRT/PPP on the rural folk is persuasive. Added to that, the Thai electorate have an extremely short memory. Very few places in the world would re-elect the same people who cause the asian financial crisis back in the 1990's.

Ehm, the Chuan governent went nowhere in trying to get out of the economic crisis. That was Thaksin, remember, who got Thailand back on track economically. This really isn't disputed I think.. (well.. there's always some of course.. :o )

Ehm, the Chuan governent went nowhere in trying to get out of the economic crisis. That was Thaksin, remember, who got Thailand back on track economically. This really isn't disputed I think.. (well.. there's always some of course.. )

Really? Lets see.

1997 Asian Financial Crisis. Leadership team included Banharn, Chavalit and a one Dr Thaksin. Let the BOT go broke, but not before they changed all their money to dollars first.

Post 1997: Reforms were put in place by Chuan. Tough economic medicine takes time to work. Central bankers regularly talk about simple interest rate changes taking 18 months to wash though the system. Moron voters actually then blamed Chuan for the economic crisis as I recall (see previous note on Thai voter amesia). He took the political hit for making the hard decisions which led to....

2001: Dear leader elected. Surfed the wave of the beginnings of a strong economy that Chuan put in place. Then pissed it up againt the wall with unsustainable funding promises. Shincorp shares go through the roof.

2006: After 5 years of TRT destroying the foundations of a good economy, the Thai economy begins to stutter.

2007: Junta do good things for the economy reparing the foundations- unheraled, unseen, but positive.

2008: Economy will pick up. PPP elected. Who will take the credit for being superior economic managers? Thats right, the same people who will have their snouts in the trough.

Post 1997: Reforms were put in place by Chuan. Tough economic medicine takes time to work. Central bankers regularly talk about simple interest rate changes taking 18 months to wash though the system. Moron voters actually then blamed Chuan for the economic crisis as I recall (see previous note on Thai voter amnesia). He took the political hit for making the hard decisions which led to....
This point really needs to be driven home to those who suffer from this curiously selective amnesia. Chuan's government provided critical balance and focus during the post '97 period. By taking difficult and onerous decisions and sticking to them, they created an environment which, as any economist understands, fundamentally benefited the incoming administration in 2001. Strangely enough, the subsequent administration was silent about that legacy, and indeed worked hard to create the additional impression, of the '97 failure all being the result of fiendish speculators {all foreign naturally}.

Regards

PS Anyone ever wonder how it was that Shin Corp. was one of a handful of companies who had hedged their dollar positions?

PPS The answer is not the business acumen of it's management.

sometimes the truth hurts... but the reality is, for "signing," it makes the most sense...as it's the most readily recognizable feature or trait...

WHEN A NAME'S ALL IN THE NOSE

The PPP's upset, but the deaf defend the sign language they use to refer to Samak

If deaf people's way of referring to new PM Samak Sundaravej upsets members of the PPP, then how about moving their hands in the act of cooking to symbolise the "Cooking Prime Minister?" "We've touched our nose in referring to Samak for over a decade and never got any complaints. There is no reason to change," said Anusorn Rattanasint, former President of the National Association of the Deaf in Thailand (NADT). He was responding to a report that some PPP executives were irritated by the nose-pointing by translators during the live broadcast of the parliamentary session on Channel 11 when they referred to Samak, who has a big, rose apple-shaped nose. Well, at least that's one description of it. The NADT may have to hold meetings with deaf people nationwide to think up a new sign name for Samak if the PPP gets really serious about the issue. "Creating new signs makes it difficult for the deaf to communicate. But if we have to, new sign language representing the new PM may be the "Cooking Prime Minister" as his television cooking show is popular and people recognise him as an honorary chef,'' he said. When referring to Abhisit Vejjajiva, they move their hands around their faces and raise their thumbs. Interpreters insist they have used similar sign language names for both politicians for many years. The sign language used often originates from the unique physical appearance of a person and is combined with the sign for the first letter of the name. For instance, a raised thumb means Orr Ang, the first letter of Abhisit's name. Moving the hands around the face means "good looking", which some, though not all, believe is Abhisit's most memorable feature. "Touching our nose does not mean there is something wrong with Samak. It is just the way deaf people communicate and construct our language. We (the deaf) do not make fun of others' physical appearance," said Mr Anusorn. Other politicians also have their sign language names. For instance, interpreters put their hands at shoulder level to refer to Chart Thai Party Leader Banharn Silpa-archa, considered by many to be rather lacking in stature. There is no mockery in deaf people's sign language, Mr Anusorn said.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.net/News/30Jan2008_news02.php

===================================================

Samak can't help having the looks he was born with... and he shouldn't be so self-conscious about it that he tries to have a language changed over it.

Edited by sriracha john

One cannot fault those with a homoerotic fascination for the light-skinned pretty poster boy of the Democrat party who failed to prance into power. I do think that comparing the darker skinned, less physically attractive candidate to primates is less than sophisticated.

I'm not sure that racist comments directed at the darker skin Thais is all in the spirit of positive political humor. Check your motives!

I fail to see any racist comments. Care to point them out?

Sign of a racist is when that person turns a 'normal' situation or comment into a race issue.

Unless of course you think comparing Samak to a Gorilla is racist? :o

sometimes the truth hurts... but the reality is, for "signing," it makes the most sense...as it's the most readily recognizable feature or trait...

WHEN A NAME'S ALL IN THE NOSE

The PPP's upset, but the deaf defend the sign language they use to refer to Samak

If deaf people's way of referring to new PM Samak Sundaravej upsets members of the PPP, then how about moving their hands in the act of cooking to symbolise the "Cooking Prime Minister?" "We've touched our nose in referring to Samak for over a decade and never got any complaints. There is no reason to change," said Anusorn Rattanasint, former President of the National Association of the Deaf in Thailand (NADT). He was responding to a report that some PPP executives were irritated by the nose-pointing by translators during the live broadcast of the parliamentary session on Channel 11 when they referred to Samak, who has a big, rose apple-shaped nose. Well, at least that's one description of it. The NADT may have to hold meetings with deaf people nationwide to think up a new sign name for Samak if the PPP gets really serious about the issue. "Creating new signs makes it difficult for the deaf to communicate. But if we have to, new sign language representing the new PM may be the "Cooking Prime Minister" as his television cooking show is popular and people recognise him as an honorary chef,'' he said. When referring to Abhisit Vejjajiva, they move their hands around their faces and raise their thumbs. Interpreters insist they have used similar sign language names for both politicians for many years. The sign language used often originates from the unique physical appearance of a person and is combined with the sign for the first letter of the name. For instance, a raised thumb means Orr Ang, the first letter of Abhisit's name. Moving the hands around the face means "good looking", which some, though not all, believe is Abhisit's most memorable feature. "Touching our nose does not mean there is something wrong with Samak. It is just the way deaf people communicate and construct our language. We (the deaf) do not make fun of others' physical appearance," said Mr Anusorn. Other politicians also have their sign language names. For instance, interpreters put their hands at shoulder level to refer to Chart Thai Party Leader Banharn Silpa-archa, considered by many to be rather lacking in stature. There is no mockery in deaf people's sign language, Mr Anusorn said.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.net/News/30Jan2008_news02.php

===================================================

Samak can't help having the looks he was born with... and he shouldn't be so self-conscious about it that he tries to have a language changed over it.

I guess the New York state bird may be available for Samak if a change is to be considered. What was the sign for Thaksin?

One cannot fault those with a homoerotic fascination for the light-skinned pretty poster boy of the Democrat party who failed to prance into power. I do think that comparing the darker skinned, less physically attractive candidate to primates is less than sophisticated.

Personally I associate darker skin with being healthy. Once I pointed out to some Thais that people turn white just before they die, their obsession with being white suddenly stopped.

You trolling attempt is falling way short.

Edited by John K

SAMAK SUNDARAVEJ: Top man in Thailand

Try to imagine a particularly pungent stew combining the foul-mouthed cookery of Gordon Ramsay, the salty remarks of Alf Garnett and the schmaltz of Jerry Springer.

Throw in a personal history peppered with rather disturbing allegations, and add a pinch of corruption scandal. Simmer in a fragile parliament, serve to a polarised electorate and you have Thailand’s first democratically elected prime minister since 2006.

For four decades the avuncular media pundit and cookery aficionado has made a unique imprint on Thai politics. It is an imprint that could cause his Government considerable difficulties as he tries to fulfil his true mission – of giving Thailand the government that Thaksin would be giving it were he not in exile in London.

As well as (contested) allegations of corrupt deals while he was Mayor of Bangkok in the early 1990s, Samak is charged with defaming a former deputy mayor of the city. *actually, he's not been charged, he's been convicted*

If his defence fails, he could face prison and the immediate loss of his new position.

To his supporters, Samak’s profane rants and no-nonsense ultra-conservatism make him a man of the people. To his detractors, those same qualities make him a boorish, dangerous rabble-rouser.

Newspaper cartoonists portray him as a pig. His party has tried, without success, to persuade him to tone down his language: he recently countered a fairly benign question from a female reporter by asking her if she had “recently had sinful sex”.

Perhaps the most familiar image of him, though, is as the TV celebrity chef and star of Tasting and Grumbling – a show that went off the air recently, but which the new Prime Minister vowed would make a speedy return. It was a perfect vehicle for Samak, whose passion for Thai cuisine is undoubted.

In fact, he has been a media figure since the 1970s, when he starred in a wildly popular anti-communist radio show.

Samak’s political career, which includes holding eight Cabinet posts, began in 1968 when he joined the Democrat Party. Bangkok, where he was born to Chinese parents, was the source of his power and the place from which, in 1976, his radio show helped to persuade angry mobs to storm a student protest in which dozens of activists were burnt to death.

Samak, as Interior Minister, said that the massacre was the work of communists from Vietnam. :o:D The evidence, he said, was that the bodies of burnt dogs had been found among those of the students. Vietnamese, he explained, enjoy eating dogs.

- Times Online (UK)