The Dark Side

paul1970

I've been there twice.

The food was fine, the waitresses were friendly and provided good service.

I couldn't care two hoots who owns the restaurant or whether he says "hi" to me or not.

I go there to have a meal, not indulge in intellectual conversation or idle chit chat with a stranger.

Which model GPS did you get - and more importantly, which software?

What you want is a Garmin GPS. The model really doesn't matter because they all work with the same Thai maps. Personally, I chose the StreetPilot because of the way it mounts to the dashboard of my car. It works beautifully for me. Others prefer any of the NUVI models because they can also work as a hand-held GPS, although I really don't see much of a point to a hand-held within Thailand. If you are going to use the GPS on a motorbike, you need to be selective about which model meets your needs.

One thing I did not like about the StreetPilot is that the accessories include a battery charger that connects directly to your USB port on your computer and a charger that connects directly to a cigarette lighter in a car (although mine did not work!). It does not include a charger that connects to a wall outlet, which I thought was strange. In Bangkok at Pantip Plaza I bought a charger set that includes all three for about 1000 baht, and all of them work perfectly. I imagine they sell the same thing at Tuk Com, but I've never checked. I don't know if the NUVI models come with a wall charger.

One you have the GPS, read all the instructions carefully and whatever you do, don't throw out the box or any of the paper work inside. There is information and codes you will need later. If you dispose of those, good luck getting Garmin to supply you with new codes because these codes are specific to each individual GPS they manufacture, to prevent piracy. Without those codes, your GPS can become a white elephant, so make sure you keep them safe.

You might want to check out the Yahoo Groups. There are a couple of groups devoted to GPS use and if you have any problems, the experts there can help you if I am not able to help you myself.

As for the software, you have two good choices. Many of the GPS models come with the Thailand software pre-loaded, which is good, because buying the software separately is about 7000 baht or so. I think the ESRI software is the best. Their office is in Bangkok and their web site is http://www.esrith.com/Eindex.cfm . You would have to go to the ESRI office to have them install the software. I think you might find the same software, downloadable, on the Garmin web site.

Another choice is Rotweiler. Their software is downloadable (for a fee, about the same price as the ESRI software) at http://rotweilermaps.com . Both ESRI and Rotweiler work just fine.

As for which one is best, flip a coin. My personal preference is the ESRI map for Thailand. If you buy a GPS with pre-loaded software, it will probably be the ESRI software because apparently they are affiliated with Garmin and they update their maps more often. But make sure it's either the ESRI or Rotweiler software before you buy the GPS.

There are several web sites that offer free maps, but it's hard to find anything for Thailand other than a few specific cities. If you are going to install additional maps, then I recommend a free piece of software called SendMap, which you can get at http://www.cgpsmapper.com/buy.htm . If you scroll down a little more than halfway down that page, there is a free version that works just fine.

It's simple to use. Ill try to explain. Once you download and install the SendMap program and acquire additional maps, you can add additional maps to separate SD cards or combine them into one large file and keep it on a single SD card, along with your Thai software. I doubt you'll ever exceed 1 gig no matter how many maps you install on one SD card. I recommend the Kingston SD card. It's much less expensive than other SD cards, is available at Tuk Com, and works perfectly.

So, let's say you download the maps for Cambodia. Once you unzip them you'll get a set of files that have a .img extender. When you run SendMap, the program will combine all those files into one large file called GMAPSUPP.IMG. It will be in all upper-case. Leave it that way.

Now, create a folder on the SD card called 'Garmin' - without the quotation marks. Copy the GMAPSUPP.IMG file into that folder. Now simply place the SD card into the slot on the GPS, turn on the GPS, and there's your map.

I hope I made sense out of that. I live on the Darkside too, although I'll be glad to personally help anyone who lives anywhere in Pattaya, if you have any questions or problems.

On the Nernplubwan Soi 47, this is the soi on the left side coming from the Sukhumvit just before the Crossroad Bar, 150 m on the right side there is a new small restaurant called Crossroad Restaurant
Tried to locate this place today but couldn't find it

I also tried to locate it today and couldn't find it. A previous post says to take the right fork on Soi 47. That's what I did. All I saw was a small bar called West Bar or Western Bar (can't remember which). It didn't look anything like a place to eat to me. It's a short soi and there was nothing else there.

It's very confusing because the post above says it's just before the Crossroad bar. I saw the sign for Crossroad Bar on Neurnplabwan, but the sign indicates that you take the left, not the right fork on Soi 47.

Ok, I went back and took the left fork. Guess what? I couldn't find it, or even the Crossroad Bar, going that way.

I think we need instructions that make it much more clear. If someone has been there, what exactly do you do once you make the turn onto Soi 47 from Neurnplabwan?

Also, as you are headed toward the lake from Sukhumvit, I spotted a restaurant on Neurnplabwan, about a quarter of a mile on the right, past Soi 39, called "Tatawan." Going in that direction, if you get as far as the Rung Thip Restaurant, then you went too far. I haven't seen any posts about the Tatawan. It looks like a nice place, but I didn't stop to look at the menu. I don't know what kind of food is served there. Has anyone tried it?

Edited by santol

...I spotted a restaurant on Neurnplabwan, about a quarter of a mile on the right, past Soi 39, called "Tatawan." I haven't seen any posts about the Tatawan. It looks like a nice place, but I didn't stop to look at the menu...Has anyone tried it?

The place is new (open 2-3 weeks or so) therefore likely nobody's tried it yet. Also, they promote karoake in the evening (it appears to be one of those Thai open air restaurant AND music/karoake pub type places) and this would certainly keep most farangs away (at least in the evening).

Also, for a mixed Thai-Farang resto, it's hard to beat RT just down the road, therefore no rush to try Tatawan.

Why don't you do us the honor of giving us the first review of this place :o

Based on what you wrote, I think I'd rather do you the honor of being the last to review the place. :D

LOL! I feel the same way, Santol. I drive by that location a few times each week. It used to be the "Sam Tor Steak House". My wife and I ate there a few times. We rated the food as no better than average; but we both liked the owner, and wanted to give him a little business now and then.

When I saw that there was going to be a new restaurant, I was looking forward to it; as I do all new restaurants within a short drive of our house. But as soon as I saw the karoake sign, that ended any likelihood that we'll be eating dinner there.

As I've noted before, one of the few negatives about Rung Thip is the proximity to the karoake joint just to the east of their fine restaurant. Karaoke is pretty much lame all over the world; but the caterwalling sounds that come out of "amateur" Thais is beyond description, and beyond the tolerance of most farang ears!

On the Nernplubwan Soi 47, this is the soi on the left side coming from the Sukhumvit just before the Crossroad Bar, 150 m on the right side there is a new small restaurant called Crossroad Restaurant
Tried to locate this place today but couldn't find it

I also tried to locate it today and couldn't find it. A previous post says to take the right fork on Soi 47. That's what I did. All I saw was a small bar called West Bar or Western Bar (can't remember which). It didn't look anything like a place to eat to me. It's a short soi and there was nothing else there.

It's very confusing because the post above says it's just before the Crossroad bar. I saw the sign for Crossroad Bar on Neurnplabwan, but the sign indicates that you take the left, not the right fork on Soi 47.

Ok, I went back and took the left fork. Guess what? I couldn't find it, or even the Crossroad Bar, going that way.

I think we need instructions that make it much more clear. If someone has been there, what exactly do you do once you make the turn onto Soi 47 from Neurnplabwan?

Also, as you are headed toward the lake from Sukhumvit, I spotted a restaurant on Neurnplabwan, about a quarter of a mile on the right, past Soi 39, called "Tatawan." Going in that direction, if you get as far as the Rung Thip Restaurant, then you went too far. I haven't seen any posts about the Tatawan. It looks like a nice place, but I didn't stop to look at the menu. I don't know what kind of food is served there. Has anyone tried it?

I think the only one who tried it was Patsfangr and from memory it wasn't up too much. I'm not even sure if it's still open but it was located on Soi 47 on the right hand side as you drive from Nernplubwaan. I can't remember if it was before the fork in the Soi or after but if you drive down the soi and keep an eye on the right it would be difficult to miss it, though it is a very small place.

Maybe Patsfangr can update us on if he's been back.

Based on what you wrote, I think I'd rather do you the honor of being the last to review the place. :D

I live very close to this place and pass it almost every day and it's a standing joke between me and the missus that we have never seen anyone in there, farang or thai.

When it first opened it was supposed to be 24hr then it changed to close at 4am, then 2am then 12. It keeps getting earlier and earlier and the missus reckons it will be closed in a month at most. So it seems this one is not going to be a success.

There is a new place opening on Soi Khao Noi that at the moment only sells beer but it is supposed to start doing food soon and the owner used to make indian food for Noi's bar and the Rockhouse which always seemed to be very popular by people who frequented these bars.

I am really looking forward to this place starting to do food which I gather is going to be Brit style food and hopefully Indian food.

It is about 100m before Noi's bar driving up Soi Khao Noi from Suk, not sure of the name.

There are some interesting developments in Farside dining occurring on soi Kow Talo. There has been allot of shop-house building over there the past few months and of course, some of them have been rented out and turned into new restaurants. As mentioned already, there is an Indian place up and running and also a Russian place in the main section of new shop-houses. I don't have names or exact locations yet as I just see them while driving by on my way into the south Pattaya area. They are about half-way up the road between Sukhumvit and the top of the hill on the right hand side of the road (if coming from Sukhumvit). In the same general vicinity, there is a new nice looking bakery cum coffee shop, with fresh baked breads and pastries.

From my drive-bys, it appears the Indian and Russian are open-fronted restaurants with no air-con. The bakery, however, is enclosed and air-coned I would imagine. Next time I am in the area, I will make it a point to stop and peruse menus and pick-up name cards :o

I've got some more catch up work to do.

Last Wednesday, I FINALLY followed up on JonnieBKK's recommendation try a sandwich at 'Delibean'. It was OUTSTANDING! (Thanks, John!)

I had the club sandwich. As John had described, it was made "American style", with a slice of chicken breast, and not the Thai fried egg option. Very well prepared, and delicious. It was, IMO, well worth the 135 price.

While there, I was reviewing the menu, and decided to take home a smoked salmon and cream cheese, with veggies, on a baguette, for my dinner. That, too, was OUTSTANDING! That one was also a good value, at 140 baht.

I concur with John that 'Delibean' is the BEST SANDWICH SHOP on the DARK SIDE, if not in all of the Pattaya area.

It's located on 1.6 kms after the right turn from Siam CC Road that leads to Horseshoe Point.

This morning, I returned to my favorite breakfast and brunch place, Chonlada. I had another of those great omelets that Pook recently added to her menu. She has completed the cooking school now; and is preparing for the expansion of both the restaurant and the menu. She told me this morning that she has ordered the oven that will allow her to add many more "sophisticated" items to the menu. For now, you can still get some new additions like the omelets, quiche, a couple of types of pasta (carbonara and bolanaise), French toast, pancakes, and "super-size" sandwiches (more meat, cheese, etc. than the typical "appetizer size" Thai sandwiches). If you go in, be sure to check the last couple of pages of the menu for some of these new things; and ask Pook if she has anything special that day that's not on the menu.

It's really fun to watch the place grow. So far, that growth is only in the menu items. But soon, the physical expansion will begin.

With the current economic squeeze on everybody, their business has dropped off some. So, if you want good food, at VERY reasonable prices, try it. Both you and Pook and Yoo (her husband) will benefit from it! :-)

I popped into this place last weekend after trying 3 times when I went past but seemingly always closed. The food was quite ok and service no problem at all. To me, something was missing and I am not sure what it was - the food by Thai farang standards was adequate but not really memorable as in "wow what a great sandwich:. Personally I prefer popping into Delibean - somehow they just seem to have their act together, no matter what I order, its good, fresh and very filling. Thats not to say this place is bad, far from it - but its not as good as what I see as the best in the market currently.

In retrospect, I guess we are lucky to have two good sandwich/coffee places and both have aircon which is a blessing along with very reasonable pricing. To me at least I still cant see how either of these places makes any money but presumably that is there problem not mine.

In retrospect, I guess we are lucky to have two good sandwich/coffee places and both have aircon which is a blessing along with very reasonable pricing. To me at least I still cant see how either of these places makes any money but presumably that is there problem not mine.

Chonlada is new and still building up its clientele. However, most times when I have been there (mornings), there have been other customers there and a couple of times, the place has been full. As to Deli Bean, they have been there for years so must be doing well. They have a small captive "audience" with the high-end moobaan behind them. Again, there are often others there when I am there and sometimes it's full. I believe they may also have expanded to another branch in Jomtien area too.

Chonlada is new and still building up its clientele. However, most times when I have been there (mornings), there have been other customers there and a couple of times, the place has been full. As to Deli Bean, they have been there for years so must be doing well. They have a small captive "audience" with the high-end moobaan behind them. Again, there are often others there when I am there and sometimes it's full. I believe they may also have expanded to another branch in Jomtien area too.

NotNew, I agree with your assessment of Chonlada's food. As I've noted before, I worked with Pook to convince her to add the "Super Size" option to her sandwich menu; as their original sandwich size is simply not what most farangs - especially Americans - want as a "full lunch". Her concern is that she wants to ensure that she keeps prices within reach of the local Thai population; thus the option for either the "original" or "Super Size" sandwich. I do still prefer her breakfast items (various egg combos, pancakes, French toast, quiche) to the lunch menu. However, remember that the lunch/early dinner menu will expand significantly when the new kitchen is built.

As for Deli Bean, it will take some time, if ever, for Chonlada or anyone else to match their sandwiches. As Digger pointed out, that upscale, "captive audience" behind Deli Bean, combined with the quality of their food, virtually guarantees their survival. There's no doubt that they are going to be a regular stop for me when I want a good sandwich!

Chonlada is struggling right now, as they have no such "walking distance" clientele, and are certainly far removed from any tourist trade. Currently, I know that they are going through a slow period there. Fortunately, Yoo, Pook's husband, does have another small source of income from a business he's working in BKK. They will, hopefully, still be able to complete the plans to expand the facility and the menu. If so, it should help them become a solid success. I hope so. They are both such really nice people. That's why I unashamedly and enthusiastically keep hawking for them here. C'mon, guys. Help them grow. Remember that Pook will ALWAYS take requests for items not specifically on the menu; and WELCOMES any constructive criticism you'll offer on what you eat. :-)

Now, on to the 'Crossroads Restaurant'. I was, indeed, very enthusiastic when I learned that it was owned and operated by an American, and had a breakfast menu that included pancakes, French toast, hamburgers, and other items that WERE hard to find in this area. However, I was not impressed with the food quality, the environment (VERY small, and with poor air flow), or the service. I, too, found it closed the last couple times I tried to stop by; and that was during mid-day hours. It seems obvious that they are not serious about making this place a truly successful restaurant. So, the combination of my discoveries since I first found Crossroads (Chonlada for breakfast, Chester's for Fish & Chips, Rung's for cheeseburgers, Deli Bean for sandwiches); the always solid options of Rung Thip and Swiss Paradise for both Thai and various western dishes; the much improved quality at The Courtyard; and the noted deficiencies at Crossroads has pretty much taken that place off my list. All of these other choices are within a 10 minute drive of my house. I'll keep an eye on Crossroads to see if they "get serious" about the place. But I'll have to see something special to pull me away from the other "proven" choices I listed.

I can help with locating it, however; in case anyone else wants to try it. When you come to the intersection where the Crossroads Bar is located (Nernplubwarn and Soi 47/Patanakarn Road), turn down Soi 47. About 40 meters down the road, there is a 'Y' fork in the road. Take the RIGHT fork. The Crossroads Restaurant is just around a slight turn to the right in that road, about 30 meters after the fork. It can't be seen from the fork, which is why it's so easy to miss it. As I said earlier, it's very small.

Today, because of the rainy weather and not having much else to do, I took a drive up Soi Khaonoi and Soi Khaotolo to add the restaurants I could find into that GPS of mine.

So, starting from the Sukhumvit end of Soi Khaonoi, the first place I spotted is one of the tiniest holes-in-the-wall I've ever seen, called 'Peggy+Re.' It's very small. Their sign is almost bigger than the restaurant. There are only a couple of tables inside and one outside. I was going to write it off, but I did see a group of four farang sitting at the outside table and it looked as if they were enjoying it, so maybe I'll give it a try one of these days. But I doubt it's going to make it to my priority list of new places to try. Still, you never know about a hole-in-the wall restaurant. Sometimes they're horrible and sometimes they're teriffic.

I'm surprised none of the posts have mentioned the Continental Bakery on Soi Khaonoi at Soi 11 (There is a big yellow sign there that says "Wobbly's"). I'm not much of a breakfast person, but when I do eat breakfast it's usually with friends and we go to the Contionental Bakery in Jomtien. It's one of the best breakfasts in town, with a great many different choices of breakfast styles. An excellent review is in an older edition of the Pattaya Mail: http://www.pattayamail.com/576/dining.shtml

The Continental Bakery on Soi Khaonoi is the same outfit, serving the same food. The bakery itself is very good and has excellent fresh breads. Much of the bread sold at the real Villa Market comes from the Continental Bakery. They even have fairly good bagels. They serve lunch and dinner too, although I've never gone there for either. Further on, at Khaotolo Soi 16, just past the big "Royal Park" sign I spotted a restaurant simply called "Sally." I could see they do breakfast, but I didn't stop in to look at their menu.

At Khaotolo Soi 10 there is a restaurant called "New Inn." Their sign says they serve both British and Thai food.

The last one that looked interesting to me, a little bit beyond the "New Inn," on the left there is a small restaurant called Indian Kitchen.

A friend told me there is also a nice restaurant called "Friendship," but I haven't been able to spot it.

With the exception of the Continental Bakery, I've never been to any of these restaurants. I would certainly be interested to hear what you have to say if you've been to any of them.

Edited by santol

Today, because of the rainy weather and not having much else to do, I took a drive up Soi Khaonoi and Soi Khaotolo to add the restaurants I could find into that GPS of mine.

So, starting from the Sukhumvit end of Soi Khaonoi, the first place I spotted is one of the tiniest holes-in-the-wall I've ever seen, called 'Peggy+Re.' It's very small. Their sign is almost bigger than the restaurant. There are only a couple of tables inside and one outside. I was going to write it off, but I did see a group of four farang sitting at the outside table and it looked as if they were enjoying it, so maybe I'll give it a try one of these days. But I doubt it's going to make it to my priority list of new places to try. Still, you never know about a hole-in-the wall restaurant. Sometimes they're horrible and sometimes they're teriffic.

I'm surprised none of the posts have mentioned the Continental Bakery on Soi Khaonoi at Soi 11 (There is a big yellow sign there that says "Wobbly's"). I'm not much of a breakfast person, but when I do eat breakfast it's usually with friends and we go to the Contionental Bakery in Jomtien. It's one of the best breakfasts in town, with a great many different choices of breakfast styles. An excellent review is in an older edition of the Pattaya Mail: http://www.pattayamail.com/576/dining.shtml

The Continental Bakery on Soi Khaonoi is the same outfit, serving the same food. The bakery itself is very good and has excellent fresh breads. Much of the bread sold at the real Villa Market comes from the Continental Bakery. They even have fairly good bagels. They serve lunch and dinner too, although I've never gone there for either. Further on, at Khaotolo Soi 16, just past the big "Royal Park" sign I spotted a restaurant simply called "Sally." I could see they do breakfast, but I didn't stop in to look at their menu.

At Khaotolo Soi 10 there is a restaurant called "New Inn." Their sign says they serve both British and Thai food.

The last one that looked interesting to me, a little bit beyond the "New Inn," on the left there is a small restaurant called Indian Kitchen.

A friend told me there is also a nice restaurant called "Friendship," but I haven't been able to spot it.

With the exception of the Continental Bakery, I've never been to any of these restaurants. I would certainly be interested to hear what you have to say if you've been to any of them.

I went to the New Inn a few times and the food was only OK but I beleive that it has changed owners since but I haven't been back to try it out. Must go one of these days to see if it's improved.

Chesters off Soi Nernplubwaan

I have been using this place for many months now for breakfast which is always good, but finally today I decided to try them for lunch as I beleive it was Patsfangr who recommended their Fish and Chips.

Anyway I ordered the Fish and Chips (not on the menu though) with a bit of apprehension as many times F&C is a big let down in Pattaya but I must admit (even though frozen chips) the meal itself was very good but the Fish was delicious, easily the best Fish I have come across in Pattaya, the batter was absolutely delightful, very thin, light and crisp and the fish inside cooked to perfection.

I will definately be eating F&C here on a regular basis.

The Continental Bakery on Soi Khaonoi is the same outfit, serving the same food. The bakery itself is very good and has excellent fresh breads. Much of the bread sold at the real Villa Market comes from the Continental Bakery. They even have fairly good bagels. They serve lunch and dinner too, although I've never gone there for either.Further on, at Khaotolo Soi 16, just past the big "Royal Park" sign I spotted a restaurant simply called "Sally." I could see they do breakfast, but I didn't stop in to look at their menu.

Continental Bakery make some good English style breads, some of their European style breads leave something to be desired. They deliver to a number of places including minimarts around the lake.

Delibean is the training area for a successful catering company, the owner also owns most of the land around the shop, so they are not too fussed about customer numbers. They also have a shop in Naklua in the Mirage building of the Nova resort. down the end of Soi 16.

Chesters off Soi Nernplubwaan

I have been using this place for many months now for breakfast which is always good, but finally today I decided to try them for lunch as I beleive it was Patsfangr who recommended their Fish and Chips.

Anyway I ordered the Fish and Chips (not on the menu though) with a bit of apprehension as many times F&C is a big let down in Pattaya but I must admit (even though frozen chips) the meal itself was very good but the Fish was delicious, easily the best Fish I have come across in Pattaya, the batter was absolutely delightful, very thin, light and crisp and the fish inside cooked to perfection.

I will definately be eating F&C here on a regular basis.

Thanks for the credit, Paul. However, in the interest of full disclosure, it's misplaced. I have definitely recommended Chester's for F&C's; but I didn't discover it. I believe that 'JonnieBKK' posted the intial recommendation. I tried it, and considered it the best I've had anywhere in Pattaya, so I seconded John's recommendation. Chester's is the only place I go to for F&C's.

Chester's is one of my "specialty" places. I go there for F&C's; Rung's for cheeseburgers; La Luna for Italian food (haven't found a really great Italian place on the Dark Side yet), including pizza; Chonlada for breakfast; Deli Bean for the best sandwiches. I'm really glad that we've discovered so many places; because I enjoy variety in my eating venues, as well as in the food.

Keep searching and reporting, guys. This thread has done a great job spreading the word on the many good restaurant choices here on the "right side of the tracks"!

~Crossroads Restaurant~ is now the ~West Bar~ but you still can "consume" :o

So that's it. No wonder I couldn't find it. I did find the West Bar, but I was looking for the Crossroads restaurant. Is the food the same as the Crossroads was?

My wife and I tried the Magnolias restaurant the other night.

The ambience is excellent (nice tables with candles and quality, soft background music), and the service (3 male waiters) was outstanding. Attentive to every detail, extremely polite, and clearly professional and well trained.

There is a very extensive menu of both western and Thai food. In fact the Thai food is even more extensive than the western section. The prices are pretty much in line with other places around the lake, with beers ranging from 60-75 Baht, sandwiches around 75 Baht, and main courses in the 200 plus Baht category, depending on what they are.

My wife has a Caesar salad and I had curried clams for starters. Both were well presented and fresh. The Caesar salad was lacking in 'bite' in taste and didn't have much flavour, but the wife enjoyed it.

My starter was fine.

My main course was pork loin with a Mexican chilly sauce, sauté potatoes and carrots. The pork was OK-ish - a bit bland, as was the chilly sauce, but was of a good size, very lean and tender.The wife had another starter, which I didn't try.

I rounded it off with fruit salad and ice cream.

A basket of very nice assorted bread was also provided.

I had two glasses of red wine at 120 Baht each, and my wife had a non alcoholic cocktail.

Total price 1,075 Baht.

All the courses were served quickly and togther, which is quite unusual in this country.

So some pluses, and the odd minus on the food taste. But there is a very substantial menu, and worth another try,and next time I'll try the Thai food.

A very good place for a romantic evening :o

we also ventured in the Magnolias the other night and I tried the 195 Baht European Set.

Starter: baby clams in garlic butter - tiny but excellent

Main: Grilled red snapper with spinach - fish was a bit dry and the potatoes....errmm..British...lacking any salt. :o Other than that, not too bad!

Dessert: icecream

Wife had a cocktail that was quite good and as Moby pointed out already, the ambiance is excellent. Will go there again for sure!

yes i know where u mean the owner there sits with a long face and only talks to his friends, and never acknowledges strangers, why would anyone want to travel to there, i would never line the pocket of an owner who only speaks to selective customers, but it wouldn't be as bad if the food was something special

I met Peter and his wife in the first two weeks after the restaurant opened. We live within five minutes of Rung Thip and have eaten there many times over the years.

Peter does not run the restaurant, he does not help with food preparation and he is not a meeter or greeter for those that think they deserve this treatment. Peter reads his newspaper, eats his food and talks to those that are willing to say "hi" to him. I did that early on and we now talk regularly when we meet.

Peter and his wife are very nice people. You're being unfair to categorize him any other way.

His wife runs the place, along with the girls that have been there since they opened. The food is as good as you will get and I have had many a meal in the place. We eat both Thai and farang food and I have never had a bad meal, with the exception of their hamburger. I enjoy their breakfasts as well but they know I like three eggs, crisp bacon and softened butter.

I believe if you read the first 19 pages of this thread, you might find any number of people that think the food really is "something special".

the food is "OK" if you consider the food there as " something special " im afraid your standards of "something special" fall way below mine, it is 100% not "something special" its ok and fairly consistent and thats all i would call it.

I've been there twice.

I couldn't care two hoots who owns the restaurant or whether he says "hi" to me or not.

I go there to have a meal, not indulge in intellectual conversation or idle chit chat with a stranger.

you really didnt get my point, a previous person had said it was "something special" and it certainly is not that, its OK, and why do so many people on this forum imagine and put words into peoples mouths , QUOTE I go there to have a meal, not indulge in intellectual conversation or idle chit chat with a stranger. well i go to a restaurant to eat wow how did you work that one out :o Einstein. and imagine i go there for idle chat, you dont even know me.

if you go to somewhere like the Mata Hari then you will know what i mean about "somewhere special"

and by the way, a great host with charm and character adds to any restaurant, and will inform you of any specials that are on offer and make you feel relaxed and welcome, if the owner wants to put his head behind the paper, it puts that restaurant into what it is a fair priced cafe, not " something special "

I've been there twice.

you really didnt get my point, a previous person had said it was "something special" and it certainly is not that, its OK, and why do so many people on this forum imagine and put words into peoples mouths , QUOTE I go there to have a meal, not indulge in intellectual conversation or idle chit chat with a stranger. well i go to a restaurant to eat wow how did you work that one out :D Einstein. and imagine i go there for idle chat, you dont even know me.

Thank the Lord for that. :D

if you go to somewhere like the Mata Hari then you will know what i mean about "somewhere special"

and by the way, a great host with charm and character adds to any restaurant, and will inform you of any specials that are on offer and make you feel relaxed and welcome,

You must be living in cloud cuckoo land, How many restaurants in LOS have owners behaving like this? This place is a low priced 'economy' restaurant with above average food and good service.

It's not a place with luxurious ambience for romantic dinners or to be entertained by a host / raconteur. I think you have to pay a little more than the prices at Rung Thip for that kind of atmosphere and service. :o

if the owner wants to put his head behind the paper, it puts that restaurant into what it is a fair priced cafe, not " something special "

I also don't know the mysterious owner of Rung thip, but it certainly won't stop me going there and enjoying their repast. :D

Edited by Mobi

My wife and I tried the Magnolias restaurant the other night.

Nice report.

Could you provide more information on location and maybe pin it on our map?

I'm not good at maps.

It's between Sammy's bar and Fisherman's Rest, and just before the 999 minimart/beer bar. You can't miss it as it is in the forecourt of a brand new "boutique" hotel called Magnolias.

Maybe someone with the requisite skills can pin it on the map?

~Crossroads Restaurant~ is now the ~West Bar~ but you still can "consume" :D

So that's it. No wonder I couldn't find it. I did find the West Bar, but I was looking for the Crossroads restaurant. Is the food the same as the Crossroads was?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I hope that the "merchandise" now presented is better than the food offered before. :o

Ive eaten at Tatawan once..

The service was atrocious, and the food not much better even my GF said the food was crap, that food for her btw was a take-away deal as they forgot to cook it, we ordered together, i got my meal (chicken and cashews) and rice she got rice.... i had finished mine and was getting impatient for hers to arrive....it never did, i told my GF to check bin then suddenly her meal arrived (this is 1hr after we first sat), i refused to pay for her meal... we got it for free..but alas it was crap.

will never eat there again.