The Dark Side

paul1970

I tried to add it to the map but I can't work out how to do it. If someone else who knows how wants to it is at the next junction towards Sukhumvit after Sweet Pinto cafe which is by MapYaiLai 10 per the map.

Easiest way to find it is that it's between Lucky time bar and the Muslim school. It on the opposite side of the school and coming from Sukhumvit it will be almost immediately before you get to the school.

Had food delivered from there again last night, couldn't fault it.

I tried to add it to the map but I can't work out how to do it. If someone else who knows how wants to it is at the next junction towards Sukhumvit after Sweet Pinto cafe which is by MapYaiLai 10 per the map.

I did my best to place it. I think you have to log in to google to edit the map, so if you don't have gmail or some other google account you can't (again, just my feeling).

I did my best to place it. I think you have to log in to google to edit the map, so if you don't have gmail or some other google account you can't (again, just my feeling).

Just looked, you got it pretty much spot on.

Placement looks spot-on to me :)

Edited by FarangBuddha

You're right, I just had to find out how to ad a pin to someone else's map. Added Aqua-Deymie (the original Dao Pizza).

Dang you beat me to the Post #1000 :D

I know I should get out more and get a life...but I wanted that post :)

Oh...and I guess U gotta post some Darkside restaurant info so he's a tidbit...Tocino Italian is offering these specials for low season...20% off all pasta dishes on Wednesdays...20% off something on Thursdays (I forgot what...getting old) and 20% off pizzas on Sundays.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/redirect.php...6t%3Dh%26z%3D14

It really is a useful map, not just for the darkside.

To edit it, you must be able to sign in to Google, either with a gmail account or other Google sign in. Then click on 'edit' in the left-hand column. Next right click on the map in the location you are trying to mark, and choose 'Add a Placemark' from the right-click context menu. Fill out the info and Bob's your uncle.

You're right, I just had to find out how to ad a pin to someone else's map. Added Aqua-Deymie (the original Dao Pizza).

Why bother? I thought it's off the map anyways soon? :)

When I spoke to the owner last week he said he would tough it out. Who knows. We can always remove it again if it closes. In the meantime I would like to do what I can to keep a good pizza supplier in my 'hood :D

There is a nice place on Soi Kha Noi just near the Government Savings Bank and The Bangkok Bank called "Beer & Coffee".

Inside tables and armchairs, no air-con but plenty of fans, two large LCD TV's , on the terrace tables and chairs, all the tables, inside and outside, have tablecloths.

Charming staff.

Open 24 hours.

The prices :

Coffee : 30 ThB

Chang & Leo : Small 29 ThB ; Big 49 ThB

Shinga & Tiger ; Small 39 ThB ; Big 59 ThB

Heineken 45 & 75 Thb

Also all kind of spirits.

Free Ice.

Which make this place,

I think, the best value for money on The Dark Side.

Edited by luckyluke

There is a nice place on Soi Kha Noi just near the Government Savings Bank and The Bangkok Bank called "Beer & Coffee".

Inside tables and armchairs, no air-con but plenty of fans, two large LCD TV's , on the terrace tables and chairs, all the tables, inside and outside, have tablecloths.

Charming staff.

Open 24 hours.

I noticed this place during construction...nice to hear it's now open...I took a mental note of the funny name...Beer and Coffee...the two elixers of life here in Pattaya :)

Too bad about the lack of air-con...that's probably a deal killer for me. A cold-one might be nice in the heat but I like to enjoy my daily coffee in a comfortable enviroment. I guess I'll get around to trying the place next "Winter."

PS: A little more info on the location...it's 50-100 meters down Kaow Noi (towards Sukkie) from Cafe Uno on the opposite side of the street.

Edited by FarangBuddha

Does Beer And Coffee actually close, Im suprised to so it open in the mornings when I head to work (7am), be nice if they opened at 6.30am and did a nice wholesome english style brekkie !!!!

EDIT: just noticed Luckyluke said they are open 24hrs..... hmmm about that brekkie.

Edited by Spoonman

• 2 weeks later...

I have been to the Indian restaurant on Soi Nerplubwan ( Naan & Curry)

I had the Mutton Curry with rice and a naan bread.

The portion of mutton curry was not that big, good I ordered rice & bread, maybe I was very hungry.

And it's not mutton , but lamb, mutton has a very marked savour.

The young Muslim lady speaks good English, according to me, but I am not a native English speaker.

I watched Al Jazeera in English on television while I was waiting.

No beer of alcohol, I told her I respected their choice not to sell these stuff, but as a non Muslim should I been allowed to bring my booze to their shop and consume it there, the answer was negative, as she told me, they live in a Muslim area and apparently are under close surveillance.

I will try the other curries soon.

Edited by luckyluke

I have been to the Indian restaurant on Soi Nerplubwan ( Naan & Curry)

No beer of alcohol, I told her I respected their choice not to sell these stuff, but as a non Muslim should I been allowed to bring my booze to their shop and consume it there, the answer was negative, as she told me, they live in a Muslim area and apparently are under close surveillance.

Interesting about the no alcohol policy...too bad one can't enjoy a beer along with one of their excellent curries. The chicken tikka masala is very good :)

^ I enjoy a beer with their curries, just get delivery or take away :)

Sad news, one of the best places on the Darkside will close this week, Cafe Uno has been sold and will be turned into a sports bar/restaurant, hopefully the new owners will have the same quality of food.

^ I enjoy a beer with their curries, just get delivery or take away :)

Sad news, one of the best places on the Darkside will close this week, Cafe Uno has been sold and will be turned into a sports bar/restaurant, hopefully the new owners will have the same quality of food.

Don't want to speak ill of the "dead," but I never thought much of the place. A couple decent Indian curry dishes (but having discovered Nan & Curry around the corner from me with it's much better Indian even that's covered now) is about all they had IMHO. And getting food out of the kitchen was a deathly slow process...so it won't be missed in my book.

Good luck to the new owners...hope they can make a go of their "sports bar" format, whatever that means in Thailand (I would guess nothing but English football on the tellie).

A good sports bar has TV's and projectors that can be seen all over the bar, turns the sound on for big sporting events, has multiple good quality American pool tables (not snooker tables with undersized American pool balls on it), maybe a darts area and is totally focused on getting customers that enjoy watching, and playing sports of all kinds.

IMHO.

:D

And the girls should not be abled to be barfined, or ask for lady drinks.

Well, this being Thailand, you can definitely be sure it won't be anything like that :D More likely a couple small TVs showing English footie re-runs with the sound off; a music system playing Thai luk-tum music at ear splitting levels; a single ancient un-level "pool" table with snooker sized balls and cues; and ugly ole strumpets pestering you all the time for drinks and to go upstairs :)

Edited by FarangBuddha

A good sports bar has TV's and projectors that can be seen all over the bar, turns the sound on for big sporting events, has multiple good quality American pool tables (not snooker tables with undersized American pool balls on it), maybe a darts area and is totally focused on getting customers that enjoy watching, and playing sports of all kinds.

IMHO.

:D

And the girls should not be abled to be barfined, or ask for lady drinks.

Try the White Horse Inn on Soi Khao Thalo in the grounds of the Emerald Grand Palace Hotel about 50m before the railway line. :)

Cafe Uno sold? I saw it coming, it never created the revenue it deserved. The food was outstanding and good value for money!

Speaking of...what happened to Noi's Bar? I haven't been out for a while. Hope they are still around...

Lenny,

I did a couple of weeks back - it was absolutely terrible. I sat at the little bar on the right as you walk in, at 7pm at night I was the only customer there. There was a guy singing very, very badly on the little stage just past where I was sitting, everytime he finished a song you could hear a pin drop. It was just wrong.

Does it have pool tables in there - I didn't walk around to take a look as I was the only customer there and all eyes were on me...

Tom.

Yeah, pool tables round the corner. Dont know why but it is always very quiet in there, good food and cheap too, cheap drinks, the place is immaculate - and yes the singer is awful, but just never seems to be busy?

Ah, I should have got off my fat arse and walked around....

How many pool tables, and do you know what type they are?

I had some food that was quite nice by the way, if it wasn't for the terrible singer I would probably go back.

I think the main problem is the atmosphere, or lack of it. Even if it was full it's just kind of strange place....

Tom.

There is two tables round the corner and a dartboard, dont know what type but like everything else in there new and very tidy.

I eat there quite a lot, lunchtimes and evenings and more often than not i am the only one in there - very strange? Wife and i went with another couple one night - crowd in that night - 4 of us!! :)

It is a very sterile atmosphere, probably as 90% of the seats in there have never been sat in!!

The breakfast is very good at 140Baht, and pints of draught tiger at 80 Baht.

I will go round some night when there is football or something on, se if there is a crowd then.

I'm not sure i'd drink draught beer in a bar or restaurant that quiet, I wouldn't trust the lines. 80 baht a pint is cheap enough to almost tempt me though...

Is that singer on every night?

Unfortunately it would appear he is there most nights! :)

Ive never had a problem with the draught tiger though, always spot on!

I'm not sure i'd drink draught beer in a bar or restaurant that quiet, I wouldn't trust the lines. 80 baht a pint is cheap enough to almost tempt me though...

Is that singer on every night?

Unfortunately it would appear he is there most nights! :)

Ive never had a problem with the draught tiger though, always spot on!

reminds me of Khun John's...they have this guitar player who haven't learned in all those years of torturing the instrument how to tune it half way right. His technical abilities are a tad below beginner level as well.

Not so sad news, there is room for a good sportsbar on the darkside, always wondered why there isn't one.

Good luck to them.

While Uno was a decent size for a restaurant I think the place will be too small for a sportsbar.

Cafe Uno sold? I saw it coming, it never created the revenue it deserved. The food was outstanding and good value for money!

Speaking of...what happened to Noi's Bar? I haven't been out for a while. Hope they are still around...

Agreed, the food was outstanding and very good value for money. Noi's is still going but not sure how busy as I've been away for nigh on a month.

Maybe a word in the managements ear is in order, something like "get the wailing cat out of the bar - you'll get more customers..." :)

I'll give it another go next week on your say, thanks Lenny. It's got to be said, if they got it right in there they could make a small fortune - the location is blinding, loads of secure parking, food from what you say is good and the sports bar theme in Pattaya is a popular one that normally works. Nice-ish outside area for the cool season as well, although their projector and screen suck.

Cheers,

Tom.

I went too based on you prior recco...it was early on a Sunday evening for cofee and dessert...staff all very nice, we were the only ones in the place (weird feeling), and the coffee tasted like instant and the creme carmel was the worst I ever tasted. Also, they were blaring out heavy-metal music on the sound system...<deleted>!

I can't comment on main dishes as I didn't try any. It could be a real winner with the air-con and the parking and location...gotta do something to liven up the inside (better lighting and more comfy chairs would help).