Milk - Plain And Simple - Dark Blue Cap.

Cuban

We only use the dark blue cap whole milk. I tend to shop in different places depending on where I am during the week or what route home I take so find myself picking up different brands of whole milk.

From the shops around Pattaya I have tried Dutch Mill, Imperial, Chok Chai and a mystery brand that I found once in Foodmart when driving home from the beach, we don't visit that beach often so I don't know if it is a regular item as I have not seen it sold anywhere else.

My point. I have a friend that brought over a stock of my favorite coffee which I have been turning into glorious lattes of late and I seek the perfect milk to bring out the best of the coffee.

The Dutch is OK but a little bland. in my mind the Imperial and Chok Chai are level for taste but the one off mystery milk (Thai label - no English if I remember correctly) was brilliant. It might have just been a rouge bottle that slipped through quaility control as the creamy taste can sometimes be the result of being on the turn. But is was perfect for my coffee. I have read a thread here about milk and hygiene standards, any other angles on this subject would be welcomed.

Any thoughts as to this brand and places that stock it?

All seem to be in the range 35 - 41 Baht per 800 ml

I am impressed that you can discern milk qualities, tastes aromas in a finished beverage which requires the milk be cooked (for a second time: pasteurized the first time), flavored with strongly brewed/extracted bitter coffee. I use CP-Meiji whole milk; it is widely available and has a dark blue cap (although that may just be an indicator of whole milk, skim/2% seems to have a light blue cap). As you say, maybe the mystery milk was going bad imparting a sour taste and you just discovered the secret to the perfect latte? I see whole milk stored in smaller, open-air stores out in the open all the time.

There is indeed a taste differance, in the office we switched water supplier and the flavour of the tea changed to a metalic twang over night, I didn't really notice a change when drinking the water ice cold.

I put the "improved" flavor of mystery milk down to either higher fat content due to a poor homogenisation process or as you say being slightly on the turn. This is bugging me enough to go on a milk shopping quest.

In my investigations of the bottled milk in Thailand, I have found that the main distinction is that some brands/bottles are reconstituted milk (i.e., made from milk powder) and some are what we would call "real" milk back home. I think the labeling distinction to look for here is the term "fresh" milk. I believe this denotes that is is straight from the cow's udders and has not been turned into powder and later mixed with water to make "milk."

The terms "whole" or 100% milk or whatever can still be reconstituted milk. There is definitely a taste and quality difference between the fresh milk and the other ones.

For the purposes of this discussion I think its safe to say we're talking about whole fresh milk, and not reconstituted milk.

Whole fresh milk can have varying fat content, 2% - 4%.

Some baking recipes; biscuits, cakes, muffins, popovers call for sour milk, which imparts a distinctive twang in the finished product.

I honestly cannot tell the difference between whole and skim milk when drinking coffee, and I drink cafe au lait primarily. I could never use sour milk in coffee or tea, I'd just throw it out.

Again the OP seems to have a discerning and impressive palate when it comes to milk.

>Again the OP seems to have a discerning and impressive palate when it comes to milk.

Flattery might get a cup of coffee out of me but really the taste is very different, I am far from a gastronome and I'm sure if you were to make coffee with the real stuff rather than powered Nestcafe crap you will be aware of a difference. (although the milk is that different in taste I guess it would improve instant coffee too)

> ... honestly cannot tell the difference between whole and skim milk when drinking coffee, and

> I drink cafe au lait primarily. I could never use sour milk in coffee or tea, I'd just throw it out.

Really? skimmed or semi skimmed in tea or coffee really doesn't work IMHO, to get the right color balance you need to use too much milk (the color and taste is in the fat) this certainly upsets the flavour of the tea.

Anyway - last night I took a detour on the way home and had something of a milk fest....

...and the dairy academy award goes to....

Alli Pasteurized Whole Milk from Sunrise Diary Limited. (40 Baht for 850 ml)

A much richer flavor of milk, creamy - so there is a higher fat content or it is not so well blended at the dairy processing stage. Comes in a plain translucent plastic bottle with a simple white lable with dark blue printing mostly in Thai, there is a graphic of milk being poured into glasses from a jug.

Better in a latte' than Imperial milk which was my previous prefered brand.

Edited by Cuban

• 1 month later...

Yes, there are differences in milk! I am Swiss (the land of good milk and milk chocolate) and have been living here for 21 years now and I finally found extra ordinary milk a few months ago and I mean it is the absolute top of what I have tasted so far here: its fresh milk from Dutch Mill and is only sold in 2 litre bottles. You can't miss it, the letters Milk are in purple color and a pink cow is standing in front of the letter M. A place were you sure get it is Tesco Lotus, as well as in Tesco Lotus Express outlets. Price is 79 Baht for 2 litres, sometimes a bit cheaper when this item is on sale. I will try to add a picture of the lable but don't know if I will succeed.

You won't be diappointed - only delighted. PS: I have no shares in Dutch Mill nor do I work for that company.

post-5472-1208603929_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dario

I drink a lot of milk and my favourite brand is NESTLE in the blue bottles.

I still remember the time living in London and getting delivered that great milk, whole fat one.

The best ever was back in Germany:

milchkanne-cma.jpg

They've had like little pump stations in the small food shops(Tante Emma Laden) and my mother send me with an empty can(like the pic) to get our fresh milk.

Or using the back door from the local baker shop 6 o'clock in the morning to get the fresh baked rolls and breads

Still remember the smell in this small bakery kitchen and watching the bakery Chef making the the different dougs,it was amazing for me.

May be that's why I became a Chef many moons later...........but will never regret it!!!

Gerd

I'm a fan of Meiji, it tastes good, froths well for cappuccinos and both the froth and the milk lasts well. The lady delivers it to my shop every couple of days and checks my stock, replaces anything with less than 7 days of "use by".

Available in 200ml, 400ml 830ml 2l and 5l plastic bottles I cannot get the 920ml square carton type delivered for some reason. :D

As an aside does anyone have any suggestions why the use 830ml for the round plastic bottles and 920ml for the square carton types? OK they use imported equipment but 2 different non-standard sizes? Surely 1l would be the easiest to get tooling for??? :o

CP-Meiji for me - the others just don't taste right to me - not what I'm used to.

Doctor says I shouldn't drink the whole milk (dark blue cap), but sometimes I do. The light blue cap ("skimmed") doesn't taste so rich, but better than all the others I've tried.

BTW, I reckon CP-Meiji yogurts are the best.

Just wondering if the mystery Thai brand was the royal Chitralada project milk.

I quite like it but it's not stocked by the big supermarket chains. (Max-valu has it, but I don't know how many stores they have in Thailand.)

Just wondering if the mystery Thai brand was the royal Chitralada project milk.

It's called "Alli" - or that is the name written on the bottle.

Found it in that super market opposite Pan Pan in Jomtien, Food Mart (?) - not seen elsewhere.

Doctor says I shouldn't drink the whole milk (dark blue cap), but sometimes I do.

I understand that the calium in milk is best digested/absorbed by the body if there is some fat remaining in the milk - zero or low fat milks would appear to be colored water.

IMHO - whole milk is better for use in coffee/tea as you need to use less to get the 'correct' taste/color.

I'm a fan of Meiji, it tastes good, froths well for cappuccinos and both the froth and the milk lasts well. The lady delivers it to my shop every couple of days and checks my stock, replaces anything with less than 7 days of "use by".

Available in 200ml, 400ml 830ml 2l and 5l plastic bottles I cannot get the 920ml square carton type delivered for some reason. :D

As an aside does anyone have any suggestions why the use 830ml for the round plastic bottles and 920ml for the square carton types? OK they use imported equipment but 2 different non-standard sizes? Surely 1l would be the easiest to get tooling for??? :o

Not sure if the reason but as I recall Formost was the US Forces supplier for milk about 40 years ago and the US quart was the size provided so expect it became the same box but a little less milk when converted onto the local market. I don't recall commercial milk sale other than Formost in those days. The name was sold to local business as I recall and believe the size was changed to metric then.

Do all you "adults" actually drink milk as a beverage? I only use it on cereal and for cooking (like oatmeal). I gave up drinking it as a beverage around high-school.

Purely by coincidence, I've got a pint beer glass in front of me that was full of milk and is now about 1/4 full :o . Delicious Meiji!

Do all you "adults" actually drink milk as a beverage? I only use it on cereal and for cooking (like oatmeal). I gave up drinking it as a beverage around high-school.

Usually in my morning cup of tea with my breakfast.

I don't eat cereal much, but do use milk when I do.

Cooking - rarely. Things like cheese sauce...

However 3 kids in the house means we go through a fair amount of milk each week.

• 16 years later...
On 4/19/2008 at 6:18 PM, Dario said:

Yes, there are differences in milk! I am Swiss (the land of good milk and milk chocolate) and have been living here for 21 years now and I finally found extra ordinary milk a few months ago and I mean it is the absolute top of what I have tasted so far here: its fresh milk from Dutch Mill and is only sold in 2 litre bottles. You can't miss it, the letters Milk are in purple color and a pink cow is standing in front of the letter M. A place were you sure get it is Tesco Lotus, as well as in Tesco Lotus Express outlets. Price is 79 Baht for 2 litres, sometimes a bit cheaper when this item is on sale. I will try to add a picture of the lable but don't know if I will succeed.

You won't be diappointed - only delighted. PS: I have no shares in Dutch Mill nor do I work for that company.

post-5472-1208603929_thumb.jpg

Is this milk still available?

I use Meji - dark blue top....      In addition to taste, I think the Op is talking about achieving the silkiest micro-foam for his latte... 

When using a wand, I find the Meji Dark Blue top to be the 'best of them' I've tried so far, but still find achieving that 'silk micro-foam' difficult, such that I often revert to the aerocino (nespresso foamer) but its not as silky. 

Like the Op, I too wonder if the milk is not good enough to produce the ideal foam, or if there are inconsistencies in it - its probably more down to my flawed technique when I'm not paying sufficient attention. 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I use Meji - dark blue top....      In addition to taste, I think the Op is talking about achieving the silkiest micro-foam for his latte... 

When using a wand, I find the Meji Dark Blue top to be the 'best of them' I've tried so far, but still find achieving that 'silk micro-foam' difficult, such that I often revert to the aerocino (nespresso foamer) but its not as silky. 

Like the Op, I too wonder if the milk is not good enough to produce the ideal foam, or if there are inconsistencies in it - its probably more down to my flawed technique when I'm not paying sufficient attention. 

I also like Meiji dark blue top.