Expat Net Worth

bendix

Net worth  

582 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

To be a USD millionaire is getting easier by the day with the exchange rate going south.

But is the fact that one pays nothing in tax something to be proud of? Or is it just me?

I'm not proud - just happy. :D

But I wonder if there is a little envy creeping in there..... :D

OK Mobi, you have probably done you duty wrt taxes, and that is fine. Same probably for Naam.

But envy? Why would I envy you? From reading your many posts on several sub-forums, to envy you, your life, your mansion and your wife is very low on my agenda. And I do not pity you either, I just don't care.

it's because you don't know Mobi's wife MMC (i've met her) :o

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

it's because you don't know Mobi's wife MMC (i've met her) :o

Naam, it might be, but I think not, from reading Mobi's posts on another sub-forum.

But I do not think it is nice to discuss this topic here, so I will let it be.

But to both you and Mobi, you seem to like to flaunt your wealth, your large houses ("The Mobi mansion") and excessive electricity bills. Is this what most of us see as "nouveaux riche"? (Pardon my French).

Sure, please feel free to call me envious. Sure. I want to be you!

Is this what most of us see as "nouveaux riche"? (Pardon my French).

More like vieux riche (Pardon my French) At least I've certainly had an acceptable disposable income for a very long time.

Show me where I have flaunted my wealth on this thread.

You seem to be determined to track my every post and have a go at me wherever and whenever you think you see an opening.

You have never met met me, and know nothing about me, yet are determined to cause mischief when I'm purely making factual and innocuous posts.

As you know, this is by know means the first time. In fact on a previous occasion I recall you calling me "a very arrogant and thankless person", with no justification whatsoever.

As Buddha rightly says:"Those who are free of resentful thoughts surely find peace."

So get rid of all those unkind thoughts and try meditating.

You will feel much better for it.

Peace be with you, my little "most grievous regretful fault" friend.

Mobi :o

To be a USD millionaire is getting easier by the day with the exchange rate going south.

But is the fact that one pays nothing in tax something to be proud of? Or is it just me?

Well if Thailand extended some residency, rights, land ownership etc.. As per anywhere else when you gain 'resident' status.. I think most of us would queue up to pay some tax.

The fact that they have structured thier tax laws to make it so none is currently due is surely thier choice ??

5 million is the new 1 million (USD).

I have said that exact amount a few times lately.. That the concept of real wealth, to be able to really jet set it, to buy cars on whim, that kind of wealth.. That starts at around 5m.. Of course its easy to use that wealth to live somewhere and still feel poor.. 2.5m GBP in London I dont know I really see that in the jet set level. I am sure its possible to feel positively poor in Bel Air with 5m, its all about perspective.

5 million is the new 1 million (USD).

I have said that exact amount a few times lately.. That the concept of real wealth, to be able to really jet set it, to buy cars on whim, that kind of wealth.. That starts at around 5m.. Of course its easy to use that wealth to live somewhere and still feel poor.. 2.5m GBP in London I dont know I really see that in the jet set level. I am sure its possible to feel positively poor in Bel Air with 5m, its all about perspective.

:o

One can feel poor living between Billionaires..indeed.

3 options ...

1. move out and go live between some poor people; you will feel like a millionaire :D

2. become a Billionaire yourself but that will take time

3. Borrow a lot of money from the Billionaires because that will make them poorer and give you a richer feeling since you're not intending to pay back. The Billionaires will stay close to you, invite you in their jets and on their yachts because they're scared to death you will run off......with their money... :D

LaoPo

Is this what most of us see as "nouveaux riche"? (Pardon my French).

More like vieux riche (Pardon my French) At least I've certainly had an acceptable disposable income for a very long time.

Show me where I have flaunted my wealth on this thread.

You seem to be determined to track my every post and have a go at me wherever and whenever you think you see an opening.

You have never met met me, and know nothing about me, yet are determined to cause mischief when I'm purely making factual and innocuous posts.

As you know, this is by know means the first time. In fact on a previous occasion I recall you calling me "a very arrogant and thankless person", with no justification whatsoever.

As Buddha rightly says:"Those who are free of resentful thoughts surely find peace."

So get rid of all those unkind thoughts and try meditating.

You will feel much better for it.

Peace be with you, my little "most grievous regretful fault" friend.

Mobi :o

Mobi,

You have talked on many occations about your "Mobi Mansion", and made several references to your money, cars, etc. I do not go through all your posts, that would take a lot of time, being in the thousands. And you are not that interesting.

So I shall from now on refrain to post about you. Feel better now?

Naam, it might be, but I think not, from reading Mobi's posts on another sub-forum.

But I do not think it is nice to discuss this topic here, so I will let it be.

But to both you and Mobi, you seem to like to flaunt your wealth, your large houses ("The Mobi mansion") and excessive electricity bills. Is this what most of us see as "nouveaux riche"? (Pardon my French).

MMC, it so happens that we live in houses which are "slightly" bigger than the average one and it so happens that we don't enjoy sweating. but does stating facts equal "flaunt"? should those of us who enjoy the advantages of "slightly" above average financial means be ashamed, claim we live in tiny condos and are happy with ceiling fans?

by the way, your french is not too bad. just make sure to use plural "riches" in context with "nouveaux" :o

Mobi,

You have talked on many occations about your "Mobi Mansion", and made several references to your money, cars, etc. I do not go through all your posts, that would take a lot of time, being in the thousands. And you are not that interesting.

So I shall from now on refrain to post about you. Feel better now?

Maybe you should go through his posts, most are very informative and he is one of the first to offer help, if asked, what is wrong with being truthful anyway? I have met Mobi and he is definately not a bragger, he refers to the "Mobi Mansion" this should tell you its partly tongue in cheek even if it is larger than the average bear (sorry house )

Naam also has a good dry sense of humour for a klingon, and again is always helpful, and again why not be truthfull when asked, sounds to me as though you may be slightly bitter if other people make good?

And to beat you all to it, if you comment on my spelling its because I can't find my glasses tonight so this really is remembering where the keys are on the keyboard.

Naam,

Now also the linguistic professor.

not really. but inspite of the fact that i'm a bloody Tchermann... surprise... i consider french my mother tongue. sooner or later some TV members will of course hold that against me. i expect (rather sooner than later) derogatory remarks like "he speaks french, is glad that Mobi has no colonic cancer and his electricity bill proves that his carbon footprint is disgusting."

:o

. sooner or later some TV members will of course hold that against me. i expect (rather sooner than later) derogatory remarks like

"He speaks French, is glad that Mobi has no colonic cancer and his electricity bill proves that his carbon footprint is disgusting and that he wrote the first and only page in the famous Tchermann Book of Humour"

It is indeed...sooner, rather than later.....

:o:D

LaoPo :D

Naam also has a good dry sense of humour for a klingon, and again is always helpful...

a correct observation! we Klingons are always quite humourous and helpful... when we are not busy killing some worthy enemies who cross our paths.

Naam also has a good dry sense of humour for a klingon, and again is always helpful...

a correct observation! we Klingons are always quite humourous and helpful... when we are not busy killing some worthy enemies who cross our paths.

Joke after joke, after joke..... :o

""He speaks French, is glad that Mobi has no colonic cancer and his electricity bill proves that his carbon footprint is disgusting and that he wrote the first and only page in the famous Tchermann Book of Humour"

:D ...now, if you don't stop, I'll have to seek help, stopping laughing.... :D

BTW: were you Rudi Carrell's teacher ? :D

No offense Naam...no offense :D

LaoPo

No offense Naam...no offense :o

LaoPo

none taken LaoPo :D people who offend me have to take numbers and be patient. the waiting queue is quite long for those sunday mornings at dawn heavy sabres duels in my backyard (which is not airconditioned).

"poor bastards" - isn't that nice of you. Well, you must be one the rich bastards. Insulting people with less money, assuming you have a lot of it, is of poor character.

If you haven't got 5 million and you need it, keep working. If you don't mind the occasional runs and do without luxury items, you need much less than 5 million. I make a lot of money, I would venture to say that I make more than you, but enjoy the simple things in life. Nothing wrong with indulging if that is what makes you happy, but why insult others that don't have the same needs.

I thought this thread was in regards to Thailand. The real estate values in HK, doesn't seem relevant.

siamamerican - apologize for poor word choice. I should have said something like 'loser' instead of 'bastard.' Oh wait, that's not nice either. Hmm... I'm sorry, my elitist mind does not compute for politically correct....

Congrats, you probably make more money than I do, as I retired 2.5 years out of University. That was almost 7 years ago now, and I'm 30. Which brings me to a point that should be factored into any net worth calculation: age. 5 million at 30yrs old vs. 5 million at 85yrs old are two very different animals. But you're da man for making more than me. No, you really are.

Real estate values in HK were in response to LaoPo's post regarding how little 1 million USD buys you nowadays (his reference was the UK and Europe, mine was HK).

I don't mean to be insulting, it's just that being young, rich, and good-looking takes it's toll on you, you know? I mean it's really hard to get used to. Always being told how good-looking you are, how talented you are, how you never fail at anything -- it's hard to live up to such high expectations, you feeling me? Mo' money mo' problems as Biggie Smalls put it.

Oh well, chalk it up to my poor character i reckon. I feel so... so.... empty.... almost like I have insecurities that I must actively try to cover up by being elitist.... not.

Edit: not.

Well, aren't you proud. You are quite the successful little chap and still have a mountain of insecurities. The internet sure brings out the little boys that want to be men. I'm sure the BGs love you in Thailand.

You aren't being insulting, I have little regard for your thoughts. Hey, keep trying to convince people you are a winner - it's entertaining and please don't worry about hurting my feelings.

[

for sure the TV posters are no USD millionaires

Think you may find there are a considerable amount of people on TV with net worth far in excess of that.

A million US is not a joke, but its not what it used to be. There are more and more that have that now. I mean really, you need 1.3 BILLION to even make the Forbes 500 cut anymore. :o

Yeah, OK for some reason I thought you were in Phuket, as I am. Malaysia's a bit far from Pattaya I concede.

But you said you 'missed your cars'. So I offer a generic solution for Southern Thai petrolheads - import through Malaysia. Believe me, it works. And the northern part of Malaysia's N-S highway is bloody excellent: it puts many Western European roads to shame. I drove it three weeks ago so know what I'm talking about. Haven't gone south from KL to Sing yet though, so I can't reliably comment on that part.

There's a Cannonball 8000 rally next April, from Singapore to Phuket, which I've just registered for. Will be great fun.

BTW, it’s neither: I inhale it. Unburned petrol :D

:o ..Wow...

that's exciting stuff:

http://www.cannonball8000.com/sea/rally-2009/

LaoPo

WARNING OT::

Nice stuff.. What motor do you have to drive it ??

I was tempted to do the cannonball, my brother and I have often talked about it, should have done when I had my own fast(ish) cars and access to other peoples tasty motors really. This one seems a bit short at just 3 days.. Plus I kinda like the adventure aspect a bit more or long rough 3rd worldy rallys, I missed doing a mongol rally with a lad from UK last year and didnt even know that the League of Adventurists had started a Latin run doing Ecuador to Rio for carnival this year until too late to attempt it !! We did make the Monsoon madness across india last year with the Indian Auto Rickshaw challenge (the motor sport for the clinically insane :D !!).. Great fun stuff. I am even looking at organizing something with some lads who write for loaded and the 'lad mags' for the Cambo Mambo next year.

Post pics and stuff when you do the rally.. I would be dead keen to see how this goes.

Yup, it’s Off Topic so I won’t say much here or I’ll no doubt get a <deleted>!ng. The rally is a bit short at only three days, but what with the prizegiving party being the following weekend in Singapore I suspect many drivers will stay around to irritate locals on the Phuket roads for the rest of the week.

I met the organiser, Conrad, in UK this morning and he seems to have everything sorted. I have every confidence it will be a seriously good blast.

Where are you LivinginLOS? Do you or anyone else here have access to some flash metal and care to join? I’ll be driving my old Countach which I recently bought into KL (totally tax and duty free – yippee Malaysia!!!)

Especially the couple of flash B!stards on here who like to brag how well you are doing - how about you put your motor where your mouth is, eh?

The auto rickshaw challenge sounds insane! I must go to look it up. What’s next, a tuk-tuk challenge in Phuket? Oh, no, that happens daily in Patong anyway : )

There should be quite a bit of media interest once it gets going: I’m only the second punter to sign up so far – it is a year hence! The organisers are going to sticker up my motor and use it for a publicity shoot in KL in June, then at a launch party in Singapore later. Are your lad-mag-journo-mates likely to be interested? PM me…

I’ll start a thread in either Thai motors or Phuket local forum once I have more details.

[EDIT] Corrected typos and added missing insult.

Edited by Jingjok

Well, aren't you proud. You are quite the successful little chap and still have a mountain of insecurities. The internet sure brings out the little boys that want to be men. I'm sure the BGs love you in Thailand.

You aren't being insulting, I have little regard for your thoughts. Hey, keep trying to convince people you are a winner - it's entertaining and please don't worry about hurting my feelings.

Of couse I'm proud, I'm an Elitist, remember?

As far as BGs go, that's for the poor bastards, oops i did it again, darn it. I mean losers... oh dang it.... I mean..... uh... does not compute.....

I wouldn't be elitist if i were't rich and model-good-looking, ja?

I roll with a Different Crew... No BarGirls Allowed....

or maybe it's just my insecurity speaking..... yeah that's it.

post-22231-1208328401_thumb.jpg

I wouldn't be elitist if i were't rich and model-good-looking, ja?

I roll with a Different Crew...

Ouch! I'll excuse (once only) your vulgarity in flaunting your riches on a (Thailand :o ) forum for God's sake, but if you're for real why not join the Cannonball 8000 rally I spoke of? (link is embedded in earlier post). I see some of your other posts are about cars (although I can't be bothered to read in detail): grab yourself some flash metal and join in the fun. There you can pose to your heart's content, in real life, and no one will even notice! Like I say, it will be fun.

I just aint buying that at all..30 % of TV forum posters have over 1 million USD..ha ha..now you can really see the advantages of anonymous forums..ha ha

I don't see much reason to lie on such a poll, so I tend to believe it, and as someone more in the middle range, of course I am a bit jealous (but not bitter, ha ha). For many westerners all it takes is cashing out a well located property and perhaps a modest inheritance to make the million dollar mark, and of course, the almighty buck is these days more like the god-forsaken buck.

Edited by Jingthing