Registering To Vote In Us Election From Thailand -homeless In Us

disgruntled

Is it possible to register to vote for the Nov US election here in Thailand? I don't have an address inthe US from which I have ever voted or which I 'used' to live at? My sister has been getting my mail for about 5 years but I have never lived at her house. The house I used to live at in the US has been sold and now there are new people living there. Is it possible to register from Thailand as a homeless expat or something like that?

google for democrats abroad

Voting with the Democrats Abroad is only for delegates to the Democratic Party Convention. To vote in the General Election in November you will have to receive a absentee ballot from your home district. You could use the mailing address to do so, but it would be skirting the residency requirements. Also, is the mailing address in a state that has income tax? If so, it could put you on their radar screen for people avoiding state income tax though claiming residency for other purposes.

TH

To register to vote and request an absentee ballot, go to this web site and follow the instructions.

http://www.votefromabroad.org/

I am still registered to vote from my last US address, which was more than 17 years ago, and it was an apartment which I am sure has since been rented.

If you have never been registered to vote in any state, I would suggest that you use your sister´s address even though you have never lived there.

I am not a lawyer, but it is my understanding that by US law registering to vote cannot be used for tax purposes by any state. I have not filed a state tax return since I left my last US residence, but I have voted by absentee ballot in every election since then.

The above http://www.votefromabroad.org/ is correct and is what you would get from Democrats Abroad. You do not require residence and you may even be able to use your parents last State of residence if you have never lived in the US. If you have lived in US you use your last state of residence. As said Federal voting can not be used to prove residence for tax reasons so there is no problem in that area.

Voting in federal elections only cannot be used to affect the determination of federal or state tax liability.

As I understand it, I do not claim citizenship directly to the Federal Gov't but rather through citizenship in a State. IN Foreign Service qw were required to put down a state for residency and wages were reported to that state for taxes. Some got around the system by claiming residence in a State with no personal income tax like Florida or Washington State.

I do know of horror stories where the state claimed back taxes for many years and got it. Be careful of Virginia and California, its difficult to claim residence in another state if you lived there before going over seas. These two states hound people to their graves trying to collect old taxes. I left from Maryland, claimed residence at my sisters house in Washington State, and go a drivers license issued from there. People from Virginia and California who did the same were not able to escape the state taxes.

This info is twenty years old and I do not know if the laws have changed.

Also, when voting for President, you are selecting you states representative to the Electoral College. That may be the kicker that states can lay claim to you.

If you plan to vote Republican, May I suggest not voting and not worry about State Income Tax.

Yes you can!

Using your very last address in the US is the usual way, no matter how many years ago you lived there or were even ever registered to vote there. Registering as an expat voter in your old district generally does not mean you are reclaiming residence status there. You give them your new foreign address and they will send the ballot most anywhere (except Cuba, North Korea, etc.).

The only downside about registering in your old district is that you are bound by the electoral college just as if you lived there. My old state hasn't voted Democratic since Jimmy Carter, so in practical terms, for me it isn't even worth the bother of voting for president there.

Edited by Jingthing

As said above the best website is owned and operated by Democrats Abroad and is there to serve everyone. I am registered Republican (although not voting that party) and used it to register for last election. My last residence was in Florida and have received voter ID card listing that old address as my voting address but ballots are mailed to me here in Thailand for the past 3 years.

"...my last US address, which was more than 17 years ago, and it was an apartment which I am sure has since been rented."

You think?

The US Embassy in BKK or the consulate in CM should have info about voting.

Edited by TerryLH

To all of you Americans, please wake up.

Your country is having a big problem, but you can help to solve it..

Go here and spread the word:

At least in Thailand people get payed for their vote....

I am not an American but I do feel sorry for you peeps.

Peace yall!

Americans really do not appreciate foreigners feeling sorry for us. Just a tip.

We do crave to be liked and loved rather than respected, which is a national trait that hasn't worked out all that well for us. Think of us as cuddly puppy dogs who have been kicked a bit too often.

Edited by Jingthing

Thanks for the info on voting. By the way for those who are curious right now I support Obama. He offers the greatest change in my opinion. But if he doesn't get it I will vote for anyone other than a Republican.

At least that way the recession might end in 8 years opposed to 20 years. Who knows maybe the next vote will be veto'd