Accident In Truck - Im A Million Miles Away..

choppychugger

Hi all,

Thankfully i will start by saying that my g.f, son and the other driver involved were not injured. It was more a prang than anything.

Basically my g.f was on a main road turning into a side road, when some twit in a d-max ( nothing against the pick up ) pulled out of the side road and into the drivers side front end of our hilux. No police were called, insurance details were exchanged and the Thai male driver of the d - max took full responsibility for the accident. In the same day she called his insurance inspector and visited a local garage to weigh up the damage ( inspector on site ). Front right wing paint work, small dent, and new wheel arch needed. Can be done on Tuesday.

So this all happened without me knowing - I get the call after she had visited the garage for the once over.

After the initial you ok? little one ok? I'm like - so hows the truck then? She explains what happened, and straight away I asked her if they inspected the wheel. To which she told me they didn't. I was angry because someone should have picked it up. You don't get hit on the side in that position and not do any damage to your wheel. I don't want to overreact but a similar thing happened to a mate in England, went unchecked and his wheel flew off whilst he was driving a few months later.

The hilux is back home at this point and I sent a mate round to have a look. After a 5 minute drive he confirms that my wheel is buggered, the noise gave it away for starters, and by releasing the steering wheel whilst driving he could tell the alignment was buggered too.

I gave these following instructions to my g/f:

Phone the insurance man first thing tomorrow, tell him........

:o The truck is going to be booked into Toyota first thing on Monday, for a damage list/report/inspection of rotating assembly,wheel parts and alignment ( that alone took about 30 mins to explain to her :D

:D Ask him if his insurance company will pay for Toyota to repair all damaged parts.

:D If not - Will one of his select garages fit 100% Toyota parts, with proof of purchase.

:D Will they supply another vehicle 'till our one is fixed up.

If she hadn't have called me, the insurance company would have paid to get my car sprayed over, and any parts ( IF ANY ) would have probably come off a smashed up worse off version of my own pick up.

Are we going about this the right way? Has any one else out there had the same experience and can share some advice? It was not her fault and they have accepted responsibility. The pick up is only a few months old, and I want all new original parts put back on.

Any advice would be appreciated

Choppy.

( on a rig in the middle of the sea )

Had a simalar experience with my Ford Ranger, by word of mouth we got it repaired, new parts apparently are the same price as second hand, or if you're willing to wait for ages second hand would be a tad cheaper. What I would suggest is that your wife asks around and get recommended to a spray shop, the bloke who did my Ranger did a fantastic job.

Proof of purchase? In Thailand?

Yes it's called a receipt mate! or have you never bought anything from a shop here before.

Thanks globeliner - She is onto it now.

Good job, I reversed into a concrete post, took the wifes sister for a driving lesson the next day, she drove into a fence, both front and back damage cost around 25k Baht, both accidents in 24 hours! Took about 10 days to do, perfect repair in my books. :o

a hilux. why repair a hilux?? put it out of its misery.

Proof of purchase? In Thailand?

Yes it's called a receipt mate! or have you never bought anything from a shop here before.

Thanks globeliner - She is onto it now.

...and they will put anything on that receipt you require.

I thought that if involved in a traffic accident in Thailand, that the police have to be called, attend the accident scene and take statements from all parties concerned.

Without this procedure the insurance companies can refuse to pay up.

Thats what I thought. The other driver accepted responsibility, and the insurance inspecter came out the same day. We have the all clear from the other drivers insurance company.

I have also since found out that Toyota will not be carrying out any work needed - A local garage will be doing the repairs. Gutted ...

When I want any parts for my Ford Ranger I go to the dealer and they supply me with new parts. give me the old parts and I get a receipt automatically.

Every couple of years we take the car to the dealer to get all the minor dents and scrapes done (all mine as my wife is a better driver than me) and claim on the insurance. It is cheaper than paying the bill myself and I only lose the no claims bonus.

edited for bad spelling again

Edited by billd766

• 2 weeks later...

Police don't have to attend to an accident if someone accepts responsibility. I have a special form from my insurance company that you fill out. If it's at all dodgy, I'd call the police, but for example, if you hit someone in the rear end it's probably your fault and easier to just inform the insurance.

Police don't have to attend to an accident if someone accepts responsibility. I have a special form from my insurance company that you fill out. If it's at all dodgy, I'd call the police, but for example, if you hit someone in the rear end it's probably your fault and easier to just inform the insurance.

Scott do you know if either of the insurance companies pay for the rental car that we have been lumbered with?

cheers

Edited by choppychugger

Scott do you know if either of the insurance companies pay for the rental car that we have been lumbered with?

cheers

Shouldn't your girlfriend be asking your insurance company or insurance agent this question? It's pointless anyone on an internet forum saying you can or you can't unless they have read your insurance policy.

cheers

Shouldn't your girlfriend be asking your insurance company or insurance agent this question? It's pointless anyone on an internet forum saying you can or you can't unless they have read your insurance policy.

Yes , sorry I should have elaborated more on that. I did ask my g.f, and she said that neither would pay. Which I find a little confusing considering it was the other drivers fault. Fair enough our car is being repaired, the bill going to the other drivers company, but why no cover for the rental car? Will have to go through the policy when I return home from work.