How To Get An Electricity Meter Installed?

On my last trip to Thailand in August I bought a small condo in a quet soi leading off On Nut (in Khet Suan Luang in Bangkok). Although I probably overpaid, I'm quite happy with what I got for my money.

The condo had been unoccupied for a while, so the previous owners had the electricity meter removed. So my first order of business when I get back to Bangkok in January, will be to get in contact with the power company about getting a new meter installed. If anyone have had any experience with doing this, and could give me pointers as to the procedure, how long I should expect it to take etc., I would very much appreciate your input. If it is possible to start the procedure before arriving in Bangkok (via mail, e-mail, webside...), that would of course be an advantage seeing that I will only be in Thailand for three weeks.

It could very well be something I have imagined, but I belive I have read somewhere that electricity meters in Thailand come with different amp's, and that you should choose one that can draw higher amp's. Any truth to that?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Sophon

Sorry, can't help you with how long it would take in Bangkok but I can answer the different amps question. yes, it's true, they do have different meters. You have to ask for the higher amp ones specifically but (at least where I live) you don't have to be a business to get one (although it's usually businesses that have them).

Our local EGAT office had the higher meter in stock so it took only as long as it took the guy to come out and install it.

Hi Sophon

I have a house in jomtien and needed to get a electriv meter fitted and also a water meter fitted. You simply need to go to the office of each water and electric company

You have to pay for the meters to be fitted, now i cant remmber how much i paid seperatly, the two meters fitted came to 30,000bht

It took about two weeks for the workers to come and fit the meters.

I cannot see how you can do it from outside the country as they need to be paid for in advance.

About paying your water and electric bills, open a bank account in thailand, then get direct debit forms from the water office and electric office, fill them in take them too the bank and get them to stamp them, then take the forms back to the office's. When you are not in thailand the bills will be paid every month. This helps because if you do not pay the bill on time, they cut you off, then the next time you are in thailand, you will be waiting a week to be turned back on. Even if you do not use any water or elctric the cost of being collected will be about 50bht per month

Goto the water office and electric office with all the information for the form, i.e. bank book and address, as the form is in thai and they will fill it in for you,

Opening a bank account, Bangkok bank is very easy to open an account and they will also offer you a thai debit visa card (for 300bht)

I hope the information I have given is of help

Kind regards

Rocky

Even if absent, don`t let the electrical bill run for too long. We got a meter installed and hadn`t even moved into the new house yet and the meter went missing one evening...

Reason?

Electrical bill came in 3 weeks late and the meter was disconnected 2 weeks later.

Amount due? 46 baht.... :o TIT, probably cost more in fuel to send the tech here to disconnect... :D

sbk, Rocky and penzman thanks for your replies, which brings up these further questions/somments:

sbk: OK so there are meters with different amp's. But as I'm not going to run a factory from my condo, is there any reason to select the "higher" one?. I'll have the usual things: Aircondtion, fridge, washing machine etc.

Rocky: So when I go down to the office of the power company, I'll bring a copy (or will they as for the orignal) of my deed to the apartment and money. Anything else I need? As for the direct debit solution to pay for my bills, do you know if I can set that up at the same time as I go to order a meter? I was thinking that they might need to know the serial number of the meter or something like that, and it might have to wait until after the meter is installed.

Penzman: Your point is well taken. I will follow Rocky's advice and try to get a direct debit set up with the utility company and my bank. If I for some reason fail to get this done, then I know I can leave a deposit with the condo office, and they will pay the bill.

Thanks again

Sophon

You have to pay for the meters to be fitted, now i cant remmber how much i paid seperatly, the two meters fitted came to 30,000bht

Just for comparison and FYI:

My wife and I bought a Townhouse in Bangkok about ten years ago, paid Thai Baht 600 to have the electric and water meter installed(all registered in my Thai wifes name of course), but as I said FYI.

You should request 15 amp meter service. Normal household meters are 5 or 15 amp single phase and with more than upcountry fans/lights it should be 15 amp. There is a three phase meter that some large homes have but I run a large home with one 15 meter. You can draw much more that 15 amps using this meter so don't let the name fool you.

HI

When ever you go anywhere to arrange anything, always take your passport.

I am not sure if you will be able to set up the direct debit at the same time as arranging the meter, but it will not hurt to try.

If you get a 15amp meter you will only be anble to draw from that meter 3300watts at any time, This does not sound alot, though if you have a eletric oven and electric hob, water heater, add an air con and you will be getting pretty close.

15 amps is fine if you are only running

aircons 2-3 units and couple of fans, tv, kettle, water heater

But if you have electric oven and electric hob you may need more. I know of poeple who have had meters fitted, then when the house is up and running it trips out, though this is normally not condo, but a four bedroom house with three bathrooms.

If you get a 15amp meter you will only be anble to draw from that meter 3300watts at any time, This does not sound alot, though if you have a eletric oven and electric hob, water heater, add an air con and you will be getting pretty close.

15 amps is fine if you are only running

aircons 2-3 units and couple of fans, tv, kettle, water heater

But if you have electric oven and electric hob you may need more. I know of poeple who have had meters fitted, then when the house is up and running it trips out, though this is normally not condo, but a four bedroom house with three bathrooms.

Not true. A 15 amp meter is rated for average use. Peak usage 45 amps.