Fake Ferrari, Made In Thailand

LaoPo

Fake Ferrari star of piracy show

post-13995-1205326199_thumb.jpg The fake Ferrari is powered by a Subaru engine

Fake Ferrari unveiled at Brussels anti-piracy exhibition, 10 March 2008

A fake Ferrari sports car made in Thailand has become the centrepiece of an exhibition in Brussels warning against the dangers of pirated goods.

The Ferrari P4 - of which only three were made, in 1967 - was made in a back street factory in Thailand and is powered by a Subaru engine.

The Authentics Foundation has used the car to warn against the growing tide of counterfeit goods.

"I think this all maybe started with the DVDs and music being pirated and it has just exploded, basically, into something quite different," said model Yasmin Le Bon, an anti-counterfeit campaigner.

European Commission President Jose-Manuel Barroso gave his support to the campaign.

"It is indeed not only an economic problem; but a public health and a consumer problem," Mr Barroso said.

Authentics Foundation president Timothy P Trainer said: "It has got more complicated because now counterfeiters are into everything. Twenty years ago they were more into luxury brands and so on.

"Today, they are into electronics, they are into medicine, they are into food."

The foundation said as much as 80% of the pharmaceuticals sold in Nigeria are fake.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7289220.stm

Note for the Brits: :D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7245498.stm

Fifth of Britons 'buy fake goods'

LaoPo :o

Don't ya just love it when you click on the picture and all you get another picture exactly the same size. Guess it shows it's not a fake though. :D

Hey...don't blame me... :o

But, to satisfy your hunger for fakes, here's another link:

post-13995-1205334797_thumb.jpg

http://www.worldcarfans.com/9080311.011/fa...nti-piracy-show

LaoPo

LaoPo I am confused... The two photos seem to be of completely different cars?...

But on the subject I bet the Thai manufacturer loves all the free publicity :D

I noticed that also.

Now...which one is the real one ? :o

But, the 2nd link has several photos and I doubt the engine is a real Ferrari engine.... :D

Real Ferrari's are pretty safe...read this:

Son borrowed Dad's Ferrari.... :D

http://officespam.chattablogs.com/archives/046863.html

LaoPo

"I think this all maybe started with the DVDs and music being pirated and it has just exploded, basically, into something quite different," said model Yasmin Le Bon, an anti-counterfeit campaigner.

It's wonderful of a supermodel married to an 80's pop star Duran Duran singer to throw her considerable intellectual weight behind this campaign though... :o

so what iexactly distinguishes a fake from a kit car?

The badge.

they've got it all wrong.... its actually a fake subaru with a ferrari body.... :o

LOL!!!! Quote of the day. :D

And it highlights very well what a ludicrous concept they're trying to force on to people. A particular gem I though was:

"Authentics Foundation president Timothy P Trainer said: "It has got more complicated because now counterfeiters are into everything. Twenty years ago they were more into luxury brands and so on. "Today, they are into electronics, they are into medicine, they are into food."

As if "this same evil group of non-Europeans" is now expanding and targetting various core industries. Where in reality of course that's ridiculous, these are very separate small companies in various industries who fill demand for whatever the product is they're in to, be it medicine for the sick, or a Ferrari for a car enthusiast without a Ferrari budget. They have NOTHING to do with each other anywhere in the world except in that ONE EU / EURO government position or working group that is tasked with the lot of it.

They're insane. And they will fail.

The badge.

they've got it all wrong.... its actually a fake subaru with a ferrari body.... :o

LOL!!!! Quote of the day. :D

And it highlights very well what a ludicrous concept they're trying to force on to people. A particular gem I though was:

"Authentics Foundation president Timothy P Trainer said: "It has got more complicated because now counterfeiters are into everything. Twenty years ago they were more into luxury brands and so on. "Today, they are into electronics, they are into medicine, they are into food."

As if "this same evil group of non-Europeans" is now expanding and targetting various core industries. Where in reality of course that's ridiculous, these are very separate small companies in various industries who fill demand for whatever the product is they're in to, be it medicine for the sick, or a Ferrari for a car enthusiast without a Ferrari budget. They have NOTHING to do with each other anywhere in the world except in that ONE EU / EURO government position or working group that is tasked with the lot of it.

They're insane. And they will fail.

seeing alot of badges on those kitcars

a kit car is usually a home built(put together) car that may be a completely original design although it may look similar to another car.....a replica(fake) is a copy of an already made car ie the ferrari

personally i dont see the problem with replica kitcars(ive had a few) as normally bought by guys who dont have the budget for the real thing so there not losing any customers anyway.

Don't ya just love it when you click on the picture and all you get another picture exactly the same size. Guess it shows it's not a fake though. :D

LaoPo

Impossible to confuse with the real one (328 GTS from 1988) :D

post-1585-1205418200_thumb.jpg

I used to own one in the UK. The kits were produced by a company which then got sued by Ferrari in the early 90s and then they went underground (still producing the kits without the badges). The badges could be gotten from several individuals who were very careful (they supplied both copied and original badges).

The law states that manufacturing a kit to look like a Ferrari is illegal (and so there is a chance of getting sued), but for a consumer to buy one and drive one, even fully badged-up, is not illegal.

I always thought there'd be a great market for producing the fibreglass kits in Thailand...but then again most are made to fit the old Toyota MR2s which never made it here.

LaoPo

Impossible to confuse with the real one (328 GTS from 1988) :D

unless you pay attention to detials...

post-58888-1205461512_thumb.jpg

I used to own one in the UK. The kits were produced by a company which then got sued by Ferrari in the early 90s and then they went underground (still producing the kits without the badges). The badges could be gotten from several individuals who were very careful (they supplied both copied and original badges).

The law states that manufacturing a kit to look like a Ferrari is illegal (and so there is a chance of getting sued), but for a consumer to buy one and drive one, even fully badged-up, is not illegal.

I always thought there'd be a great market for producing the fibreglass kits in Thailand...but then again most are made to fit the old Toyota MR2s which never made it here.

i also owned a ferrari copy and once got stopped by the police and had a real hard time convincing them it was not real......they were moaning about the tax disc saying pontiac and not ferrari so must have thought tax disc was stolen or something dodgy...luckily another cop came along that knew a bit about kit cars.

i think a similar problem would occur in thailand......try registering your vw with a ferrari kit at the local office here.....they will look at it and sure be baffled at the least.....unless you dont ever register it or sell it :o

The old Miami Vice TV show used a Fake ferrari. It was a replica of a Ferrari daytona on a 3rd generation corvette. The windshield is the only thing that gives it away. They did use a real testarossa in the later shows They used to make ferrari and lambo kits also which would fit on a pontiac fiero body.

I think that the guys who made this fake showed by this their admiration of the Italian company !

So the choice of this kind of product (vintage cars) is very bad for what is intended to demonstate.

About the subject of "the east" faking and stealing "the west", I think that after all what we stole them, maybe they are entitled to a little revenge ...

For example, I would pardon the Greeks any fake British product they make, since their museums are full of stolen Greek artifacts !

Edited by MengWan

Wouldn't i be cool driving around in a fake ferrari with a fake rolex on your arm and completely dressed in fake clothes listening to a pirated cd?

Without one of those your ride isn't complete...

post-13995-1205753803_thumb.jpg

LaoPo

• 7 months later...

Fake cars are those that are trying to pass as original issue.

Replica cars = kit cars.

I mean, kitcars are not new. Why those people in brussel making such a big fuss over this 'fake' Ferrari. It has a Subaru engine for christ sake! If you are going to buy a Ferrari, are you not going to pop the hood to see the engine? I don't think that Ferrari body is even made in Thailand. If it is, bravo, I hope to see more of these producers popping up in Thailand. I rather have a replica Countach than a bloody Honda. Ok, I kinda like that new Honda Civic (?), but that is another story!

Australia, UK and US kit cars are very well known and some of these producers are so good that their replicas look like the real deal and perhaps, even better because they improved the chassis with today's technology rather than 70's tech. This is for those using a cage chassis and not a donor car.

But a crap load of replicas looks like crap, as like the 328 in the photo one of you attached. :o

In my knowledge of kit cars, any original cars that stopped production for 15 years. Replicas of those can be made without breaking the law. This is why newer exotic cars copies, in this case, fakes, are illegal and usually faces the factory's pack of lawyers. But in some cases, these original cars 15 to 20 years old are rather affordable. Maintaining them is another issue.

I think this news is just to make Thailand looks bad. Thailand is not even a haven for kit cars, I wish it was, dammit! If anyone knows anyone can import kit cars into Thailand or builds them, PM me please. In fact, if anyone of you know any groups of kit car enthusiast. PM me too!

KOB KHUN KRAB!

B

Fake Ferrari star of piracy show

post-13995-1205326199_thumb.jpg The fake Ferrari is powered by a Subaru engine

Fake Ferrari unveiled at Brussels anti-piracy exhibition, 10 March 2008

A fake Ferrari sports car made in Thailand has become the centrepiece of an exhibition in Brussels warning against the dangers of pirated goods.

The Ferrari P4 - of which only three were made, in 1967 - was made in a back street factory in Thailand and is powered by a Subaru engine.

The Authentics Foundation has used the car to warn against the growing tide of counterfeit goods.

European Commission President Jose-Manuel Barroso gave his support to the campaign.

"It is indeed not only an economic problem; but a public health and a consumer problem," Mr Barroso said.

Authentics Foundation president Timothy P Trainer said: "It has got more complicated because now counterfeiters are into everything. Twenty years ago they were more into luxury brands and so on.

"Today, they are into electronics, they are into medicine, they are into food."

The foundation said as much as 80% of the pharmaceuticals sold in Nigeria are fake.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7289220.stm

Note for the Brits: :D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7245498.stm

Fifth of Britons 'buy fake goods'

LaoPo :o

Hey, that's a P4!

Do they do fake Cobra's?

Where can I get one!

Making and registrating a street legal kit car in Thailand is not easy, you end up with a car that is just about legal in the province where it is registrated, and a load of problems driving out from that province.

Same situation with the homebuild american jeeps running in the tourist areas, they cannot leave the province.

It is illegal to modify and rebuild a car, truck or motobike.

MC