Guesthouse/room Needed

Super Hans

I'm after somewhere to stay for a month from next week. What are the best options - guesthouse/apartment etc? Anyone able to recommend something? Needs to be relatively central, clean, comfortable, TV, fridge. Not bothered about aircon but wi-fi would be useful, though not essential. How much are rooms generally?

What's the general standard of budget accommodation? Good, bad or indifferent?

Also, I'll be arriving by train - how do you get to the centre of CM from the railway station - are there songthaews etc?

Cheers

Hans, if you are from northernmost Germany or Holland, you may not realize that it will be 41 outside many days, and 43 in a room. Air con might be more useful than wi fi.

Songtaews are available, and air con taxis, and tuktuks, at the train station. But they may lie and say your guesthouse is closed and try to literally steer you into another hotel.

Sorry, I do not know prices of guesthouses.

Hans, if you are from northernmost Germany or Holland, you may not realize that it will be 41 outside many days, and 43 in a room. Air con might be more useful than wi fi.

Songtaews are available, and air con taxis, and tuktuks, at the train station. But they may lie and say your guesthouse is closed and try to literally steer you into another hotel.

Super Hans is a character in a British comedy sit-com so I imagine the poster is English :o though it's still bloody cold there compared to Thailand in April.

I'm after somewhere to stay for a month from next week. What are the best options - guesthouse/apartment etc? Anyone able to recommend something? Needs to be relatively central, clean, comfortable, TV, fridge. Not bothered about aircon but wi-fi would be useful, though not essential. How much are rooms generally?

What's the general standard of budget accommodation? Good, bad or indifferent?

Also, I'll be arriving by train - how do you get to the centre of CM from the railway station - are there songthaews etc?

Cheers

It's been a while since I've stayed in a guesthouse in Chiang Mai, a lot of expats use Veerachai Court on Thapea soi 2, which is pretty central. Costs around 5,000 a month, has cable, air con, etc. There will be some mixed opinions about this place but I found it ok when I stayed there a number of years back. It would do you for a month or so.

I pay a monthly rate in my Guest House. It is a massive long room with one double bed, one single, huge fridge, huge TV with cable, wardrobe, lovely bathroom, sofas - more like an apartment. I went to Veerachai Court just before I came here, this place is slightly more but much nicer and bigger. Veerachai you have to pay 800 BAHT for Internet and pay for water and electric. We don't have Wi-fi but I can pick it up from the pub opposite and the connection is fine. Really nice owners and a bar restaurant place downstairs. Highly recommend it. PM me if you want me to send you the address and phone number etc.

Super Hans is a character in a British comedy sit-com so I imagine the poster is English :o though it's still bloody cold there compared to Thailand in April.

Indeed. Username shamelessly stolen from PeepShow.