Thai Driving Licence

Read the info on this forum regarding Thai Driving Licence.

Recent trip to Local (Ratchaburi) licensing office confirms my UK drivers licence, my International drivers licence, my non-immigrant 'o - marriage' visa all in order. all I need to go with them is a lettewr from Immigration confirming my address.

Question: which of the various departments in Suan Plu does one ask for such a letter?

The nice lady in the non-business visa application section on Ground floor)?

The 90 Day reporting section on 7 floor?

The big general applications room at the front of the building?

Other?

How many trips to Immigration to procure the letter?

How much is the fee?

Thought: has anyone used TM47 90 day reporting form (a full stamped copy not just the receipt part) as proof of address?

Thanks

...Thought: has anyone used TM47 90 day reporting form (a full stamped copy not just the receipt part) as proof of address?...

The receipt part (stamped and signed) is what I was given at Phuket immigration and was accepted by the Driving License people in Phuket as proof of address.

George, in Pattaya about a month ago it wasn't free. Not only did they charge me 200 for the address certificate, they insisted I needed two originals, one for each of motorbike and car (the letter states the purpose) so I was billed 400 for these two pieces of ... paper.

At least it's going to be 5 years before I have to go through it again.

Hi,

I went down to Suan Plu last week to get this Certificate of Residence that you need to apply for your thai drivers license. Firstly i asked at one of the counter's downstairs where i could get this certificate. They told me to go up to room 401 on the 4th floor (where you do the 90 day reporting).

I spoke to one of the immigration officers there and she looked at my passport and saw that according to my last stamp in my passport i had not yet been in the Kingdom for 90 days. I told her that i had lived here for over a year at the same address shown on my work permit and that i had left (several times) to do some work overseas.

She said that i had to live in Thailand for more than 90 days and be able to show a reciept reporting after 90 days. I was told to come back on the 6th of october when i was due to do my 90 days reporting. After that i would be able to apply for the certificate. There was no way she was going to accept the W.P as proof of where i lived.

Then i pulled out an old reciept from about 6 months ago when i had reported before. She looked at it and moaned why i did not show her this before (i actually didnt think i had it on me). I appologised and tried not to piss her off again :o . She then motioned me over to one of her collegues and then they hunted through the back records and eventually found my original 90 day reporting form.

I was told to go down to the first floor and get photo copys of my passport and visas etc. After comming back up i had to tick a couple of boxes on the application form as to why i wanted the certificate (purchase of car or driving lisence application etc.) and sign it.

She then asked me where my nearest police atation was and as there were a few near me i wasnt exactly sure. She then wanted to speak to someone (Thai)who knew where i lived. I am not sure if she thought i was trying to pull some sort of scam or she genuinely wanted to check with my collegue which police district my home was in. Anyway a couple of phone calls later and she seemed happy, i had to self address an envelope and she said that after checking with my local cop shop that the certificate of residence would be posted out. I didnt have to give any money and was told the certificate should be with me it 2 weeks.

Does this seem like normal procedure at Suan Plu or was i just given the run around a bit?

What experiences have others had?

I would definately say dont even think about going to Suan Plu if you havnt done any 90 day reporting or havent lived in the Kingdom for less than 90 days.

Anyway hopes this helps shed some light on the processes. Hope getting the actual driving lisence isnt any more hassle.

Cheers,

8ball. :D

...Thought: has anyone used TM47 90 day reporting form (a full stamped copy not just the receipt part) as proof of address?...

The receipt part (stamped and signed) is what I was given at Phuket immigration and was accepted by the Driving License people in Phuket as proof of address.

Very interesting.

I have just had a look at my 90 day receipt and my address is not on it.

It just states that I have reported my address to immigration.

Very interesting.

I have just had a look at my 90 day receipt and my address is not on it.

It just states that I have reported my address to immigration.

Sorry, I should've been clearer - the guy at immigration tore off the receipt slip from the bottom a blank TM47 form, completed the receipt slip AND stamped it in the top left corner with an address template. He filled in my address there and then signed it. I was a little surprised that this was all I was getting because I thought the Proof of Address would be a bit more "professional" - at least a whole sheet of paper :o But it was good enough for the driving license people at the Transport Office and that's what counts. And it was free (or should've been - but I was "asked" for a "tip". You can read about it here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...=0entry121620 )

Abdulrahman: I think it's T.I.T.

I just got my first Thai licence and it is also valid for 1 year. I was talking to friends about it and it seems that all the licences are given out for 1 year at first and then you can renew for 5 years next time.

That's it exactly. The first license is for a year and subsequent renewals can be for 5 years if you want the longer term.

Thanks, all.

I think I'm going to try sending TWO copiers of a completed 90 Day Reporting form, with a nice letter explaining what I need, and asking them to stamp one copy, and send it complete, (not just the receipt at the bottom) back to me.

I'm due to 'report' on 17 October - so will 'report' to this forum - forgive the pun - after that - positive or negative!

Cheers.