Windsreeen Wipers

bsided69

Does anyone know for sure why some drivers here in this beautiful land lift there windscreen wipers up when there car is parked? Is it because they think the sun will melt them onto there windscreen leaving a sticky mess? Surely not!

This question often keeps me awake at night, so if you could answer this I might be able to sleep.

Many Thanks

Tired :o

My car wash person always leaves them up after it's been washed, never occurred to me that it was anything unusual but then I've been in Asia for 35 years. :o

My wife does it with our car occasionally. Normally when I want to check the oil or something under the bonnet and haven't noticed them sticking up until they come crashing down usually flipped over upside down and bending the blades as well as scratching the back edge of the bonnets paintwork.

Once they've melted onto the windscreen, the edge of the rubber wiper is no longer much good at getting rid of oil, bird poop, dead bug remains, etc - basically anything sticky. I don't lift my wipers, but although I'm an Englishman, I don't "go out in the midday sun". :o

Had my car for 2 years now, it sits in the sun all day, every day with the windscreen wipers down, and no marks yet. I think there is something else to it. We went to a restaurant last week in the evening, and the car park attendant had lifted all the windscreen wipers by the time we returned to the car. He didn't clean it or anything, just lifted them up.

Once they've melted onto the windscreen, the edge of the rubber wiper is no longer much good at getting rid of oil, bird poop, dead bug remains, etc - basically anything sticky. I don't lift my wipers, but although I'm an Englishman, I don't "go out in the midday sun". :D

I would of thought that with todays space age materials someone would of invented a rubber with a higher melting point? Well thats me off to the lab and down to the patent office. Anyone know where I can buy some rubber? :o

I wondered this when I first came here and I think I know. I reckon that as it's pretty hot most of the year, and the wipers only really get used in the rainy season, the blades tend to want to stay in the "stationary" position as they're travelling across the screen. Oh dear, I'm not putting this very well; it would be much easier to explain with a pen and paper! The blade should flip-flop as it gets to the end of each sweep, i.e the blade should always be in a trailing position as it moves. If the blades have spent nine months immobile under the baking sun, they tend to be reluctant to move into that position. They'll be fine one way but judder like mad the other. I bought my current car when I arrived in LOS which was right at the end of the '06 rainy season. The car, in those days, was always outside. When the time came for me to use the things, I couldn't work-out why they sounded so awful. I made sure the screen was really clean; no difference. Then I looked at the blades closely and realised they were "stuck" one way so would judder badly. I fitted new wipers and started leaving them up after that. The car's undercover now anyway so no problem.

I would of thought that with todays space age materials someone would of invented a rubber with a higher melting point? Well thats me off to the lab and down to the patent office. Anyone know where I can buy some rubber? :o

I would not be surprised if this is not a problem these days and that it is only done because that is what you used to have to do when the rubber was different.

Does anyone know for sure why some drivers here in this beautiful land lift there windscreen wipers up when there car is parked? Is it because they think the sun will melt them onto there windscreen leaving a sticky mess? Surely not!

This question often keeps me awake at night, so if you could answer this I might be able to sleep.

Many Thanks

Tired :o

I think the people who leave their 'blades' up are the ones who leave a parked car in gear!!!

The blade should flip-flop as it gets to the end of each sweep, i.e the blade should always be in a trailing position as it moves. If the blades have spent nine months immobile under the baking sun, they tend to be reluctant to move into that position. They'll be fine one way but judder like mad the other.

That happened to me with a car I hired in Thailand - juddering like crazy and noisy on the way back to the "parked" position because they wouldn't flip over. I had to bend both blades a bit to get them to work properly. Avis didn't notice after I returned it :o .

It lengthens the life of the blades

Probably exactly the opposite in fact. If you keep the w/screen clean the blades will not stick in the first place. What will happen if you leave the wipers 'up' is that the UV in sunlight - quite a lot of that here - will quickly have a deleterious effect on the wiping edges of the blades. These need to be 'sharp' to clear the water from the screen without smearing. So, keep 'em clean and leave 'em down.

DM

I would not be surprised if this is not a problem these days and that it is only done because that is what you used to have to do when the rubber was different.

This is exactly it. Also why you see cars parked with the hood up to help it cool off. No longer needed with modern raditiors, but still done.

I doubt those that do use the internet much in order to find out it no longer needed :D

TH

Probably exactly the opposite in fact. If you keep the w/screen clean the blades will not stick in the first place. What will happen if you leave the wipers 'up' is that the UV in sunlight - quite a lot of that here - will quickly have a deleterious effect on the wiping edges of the blades. These need to be 'sharp' to clear the water from the screen without smearing. So, keep 'em clean and leave 'em down.

DM

Ive seen wipers left in the sun on the w/screen leave light black marks, but you have a point, im not sure hot much damage it would do being exposed to the sun for long periods of time, but I think the springs putting pressure on the rubber to glass with the heat may be a bigger factor, but I may be wrong, I know people put them up also in the snow so they dont freeze to the w/screen also

DM

The best way to clean your windscreen wipers is to wipe them with a clean cloth soaked in vinegar. Another quality peace of information from yours truely.

DM

Ive seen wipers left in the sun on the w/screen leave light black marks, but you have a point, im not sure hot much damage it would do being exposed to the sun for long periods of time, but I think the springs putting pressure on the rubber to glass with the heat may be a bigger factor, but I may be wrong, I know people put them up also in the snow so they dont freeze to the w/screen also

Never had a problem leaving them down, but I'll remember to put them up next time we get snow in Samui. :o:D:D