Govt Pushing For Nationwide School Internet Access

chevykanteve

Somchai to ask ICT to provide Internet access to all public schools

Education Minister Somchai Wongsawat said Friday he would ask the Information and Communication Technology Ministry to provide high-speed Internet access to all 32,434 public schools nationwide.

He said the Education Ministry would also spend about Bt12.4 billion during the next four years to develop IT personnel for providing IT knowledge to students.

The Nation

Good to see plans for universal Internet access amongst public-school students. This promotes education in all (provincial) quarters. Watch the usual 7 or 8 "supporters of the elite" criticise it as a waste of money, effort, etc., unless of course they're not up to the challenge.

Edited by chevykanteve

I think computers are already there or on the way in many cases. Powers that be, just now realized internet access would be nice to go with the 1000000 computers to be loaned, or given to students/ schools, depending on who is talking. This will probably cut into income of local internet game rooms.

<br />Good idea, lets just hope they go through with it.<br />If this does actually happen, then this is big win for the kids in Thailand. But only IF it happens<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Or is it???? maybe hours of free gaming???+ broken in 10 minutes give em a piece of chalk and an abacus I say or just a tape recorded lesson they can recite back! Ok I know Im being harsh but Thais dont seem to exactly take care of many things.

<br />Good idea, lets just hope they go through with it.<br />If this does actually happen, then this is big win for the kids in Thailand. But only IF it happens<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Or is it???? maybe hours of free gaming???+ broken in 10 minutes give em a piece of chalk and an abacus I say or just a tape recorded lesson they can recite back! Ok I know Im being harsh but Thais dont seem to exactly take care of many things.

Well the computers that get given out shouldnt be configured to play and decent games, the computer will just be used for applications. I mean if the gov give out comps with top of the line grafics cards in them etc then yes it will be a waste of time.

Give the kids Celerons which are hopeless for games and good with applications and it should be a sucess.

I think it would be one of the biggest Min Ed projects so far, just think of all the details, all the specs, all the contractors.

I doubt they can pull it through with the yahoos currently in charge, it's beyond their level of competence.

I think it would be one of the biggest Min Ed projects so far, just think of all the details, all the specs, all the contractors.

I doubt they can pull it through with the yahoos currently in charge, it's beyond their level of competence.

Why, precisely, is it beyond their level of competence? If possible, please support your answer with facts. The military-dictatorship-appointed ICT Minister thought the Internet was --what did he say at the time? Boring or of little or no value or something to that effect. At least the present government will continue to get things back on track in terms of computer-literacy projects, in all respects (Internet-related also), with that of Dr. Thaksin's TRT govt.

Edited by chevykanteve

Neither Min Ed nor ICT has ever undertakend a project of this size. They can't even provide electricity to every school, forget broadband internet.

The level of competence required cannot be judged by the minister in charge alone, and even the minister is a nutcase on ego trip.

The actual work is done on the ground level, and that's where Thailand and its education system have a serious lack of qualified human resources, from administration down to techinicians.

I'm afraid Thailand will end up devoting these scarce resources to something they have no chance of succeeding at.

Walk before you run.

Neither Min Ed nor ICT has ever undertakend a project of this size. They can't even provide electricity to every school, forget broadband internet.

The level of competence required cannot be judged by the minister in charge alone, and even the minister is a nutcase on ego trip.

The actual work is done on the ground level, and that's where Thailand and its education system have a serious lack of qualified human resources, from administration down to techinicians.

I'm afraid Thailand will end up devoting these scarce resources to something they have no chance of succeeding at.

Walk before you run.

Great idea, but to give schools computers and internet access is just a beginning. Computers need maintenance and ICT needs to be integrated in school curricula. I have the feeling that most school principals lack knowledge and ambition to keep these systems running.

Edited by KireB

Walk before you run.

That's precisely the response I expected from you. And incidentally, I don't mean that as a criticism, only the patent realisation of an anticipated reply. So the answer is what, Plus? Do nothing, right? Because they "have no chance of succeeding at it." Saves money too, right? I mean money from tax being "wasted" on rural paupers. Let them eat cake and work cheaply as maids, labourers and --comforters???-- in Bangkok.

They don't just sit and do nothing until the next half-wit minister comes up with grand delusions.

That man, without any knowledge of educational issues, without any knowledge of Min Eds working procedures and current policies, came up with a resolution to buy one million computers even before he took the office.

Min Ed's Permanent Secretary, the person who actually runs the ministry, commented that at the moment the ministry is distributing 300,000 computers already and they completed more than half the task, and they've been working on it for years.

Why do you chose to believe in an opportunist politician without any credentials or background or experience in any particular area, not just education? He is in office only because he happens to be Thaksin's relative.

Walk before you run.

I couldn't agree more.

I've worked at 3 educational institutions in Thailand; a high school in BKK, a high school in Rayong Province & currently at a college here in Chonburi Province. The previous 2 schools had the internet & many computers. My college also has the internet but not many computers for students to use.

In all of these situations, the students could/can use the computers unsupervised. The result of this? Games, games, games & more games.

With Thailands steam powered internet due to a pathetic bandwidth, adding another 32,434 public schools nationwide to it will be a total waste of time unless the national internet infrastructure is given a massive upgrade.

All of the institutions in which I've worked, have had major health & safety hazards, which seem to be ignored...even if someone gets hurt. These fools (Thai politicians) would be far better off addressing issues of current education quality & current institution OH & S before wasting time & money on a ego boosting, vote catching scheme.

As Plus said, you must learn to "Walk before you (can) run".

Aside from the problems of supplying electricity (and then computers), Thailand doesn't even have the infrastructure to supply most of its commercial users with the "high-speed" Internet access for which they are theoretically paying. If this really happened I guess it would mean the end of usable Internet in the nation for a year or more.

<br />
Neither Min Ed nor ICT has ever undertakend a project of this size. <b>They can't even provide electricity to every school, forget broadband internet.</b><br /><br />The level of competence required cannot be judged by the minister in charge alone, and even the minister is a nutcase on ego trip.<br /><br /><b>The actual work is done on the ground level, and that's where Thailand and its education system have a serious lack of qualified human resources, from administration down to techinicians.</b><br /><br />I'm afraid Thailand will end up devoting these scarce resources to something they have no chance of succeeding at.<br /><br /><b>Walk before you run.</b>
<br /><br />I couldn't agree more.<br /><br />I've worked at 3 educational institutions in Thailand; a high school in BKK, a high school in Rayong Province & currently at a college here in Chonburi Province. The previous 2 schools had the internet & many computers. My college also has the internet but not many computers for students to use.<br />In all of these situations, the students could/can use the computers unsupervised. The result of this? Games, games, games & more games.<br /><br />With Thailands steam powered internet due to a pathetic bandwidth, adding another 32,434 public schools nationwide to it will be a total waste of time unless the national internet infrastructure is given a massive upgrade.<br /><br />All of the institutions in which I've worked, have had major health & safety hazards, which seem to be ignored...even if someone gets hurt. These fools (Thai politicians) would be far better off addressing issues of current education quality & current institution OH & S before wasting time & money on a ego boosting, vote catching scheme.<br /><br />As Plus said, you must learn to "Walk before you (can) run".<br />
<br /><br /><br />

So speaks the truth of the person actually at the front line!!

Well I think it's an excellent idea, although I am slightly taken-aback, that they don't already have access, which I guess is due to the generally-poor IT-infrastructure which currently exists. Currently my own line slows down during the day, from 20% of what I pay-for/am-promised, to not-available, how much worse would it become in future, with all these extra users ?

But if it means that all these kids are getting a slightly-more-relevant education, and set of work-skills, then it's a sacrifice I can live with.

Which I guess means I can't be one of the OP's "supporters of the elite" ? Up the (computer) Revolution ! :o

Go to a rural primary school in, say, Sakorn Nakhorn. Count the number of children who walk to school barefoot, whose lunch is little more than a lump of sticky rice, whose uniforms are so old they barely hang together at the seams. Count the number of children in a classroom, the number of books in the school "library." Etc..

Then ask the principal to list the 5 things that the school needs the most - pencils and notebooks will be on the list, not computers or Internet access.

Do the teachers even understand the power of instructional technology? Can they design courses on a computer, can they give instruction on a computer etc etc etc.

This reminds me of Thailands policy on hearing aids. Thailand gives away hearing aids, a good effort. But know one really knows how to program the hearing aids.

So basically they are thwowing away money, passing out hearing aids to the hearing impaired and getting no results.

Thailand needs to build an infrastructure that can support growth... and this applies to just about anything.

You want a bigger airport to support growth.... build one, but do so correctly.

You want to get kids interested in computers. Teach the teachers how to harness the power. If you don't kids will just play video games, and eventually the computers will be broken without any type of repair support.

You want to hand out hearing aids, it would be wise to have people that know how to fit, program, test hearing etc, before giving away a hearing aid.

You have got to build a foundation.... But then again, a nation that is used to building on some suport poles.... I guess this is the end result.

Exactly. The last few posts have summed up the reality very clearly.

Has anyone ever seen students using internet for anything else than games and fun?

Sorry to say but give me the bandwidth I am paying for first!

Anyway, no worries, I'm sure they can't pull it of anyway in next ten? years...

Exactly. The last few posts have summed up the reality very clearly.

Has anyone ever seen students using internet for anything else than games and fun?

Sorry to say but give me the bandwidth I am paying for first!

Anyway, no worries, I'm sure they can't pull it of anyway in next ten? years...

Yes.

I think you may be missing the point IJWT was trying to make, which is that the available international bandwidth in Thailand is not enough to supply customers with the 'high' speeds their packages promise to deliver... and that if they DID deliver these speeds, the total international bandwidth available to Thailand would not be sufficient.

The time between ordering and installation is a different issue.

In reality, the nominal speed of your Internet package is the theoretical HIGHEST possible speed you can get. But what the companies forget to properly explain or advertise is that on all inexpensive broadband packages, you share the bandwidth with X people. If they are heavy users, your speed will suffer, sometimes so much that your connection is not much better than the max speed of a dialup connection.

If you want a line all to yourself you have to fork out for a corporate package and those can be quite expensive.

No one is arguing against supplying Internet connections to Thai schools.

The problem is that the current project doesn't sound too credible. How about supplying Internet access to schools that have computers alreayd first? Why do they need to wire up all 30,000 schools regardless of their actual needs? What about the Internet content all these millions of students are going to use? Do they have any Thai services similar to live office from Microsoft or Google? Do they have enough educational websites? Do they have a plan at all?

My poin is that if they really cared about education, they'd be doing it in a very different way.

It's only an excuse to get the minister in the news and avoiding any actual education reform work.

You choose to believe him at your own peril.

Is Eviltroll the same old Colpyat by any chance? Can't use his "brand name" to cheer for Samak or PPP government, huh?

Or maybe he is not. But then again Colpyat also mentioned his niece a few times. Never know with these people who need to create a new login every couple of days.

^Personally, I'm with the "give them pencils, notebooks, shoes, and sufficient nutrition" brigade- add properly educated and paid teaching staff, electricity in the classrooms, books, medical care, computers sufficiently powerful to run word processors and other standard applications except Internet-

and then let's talk about Internet connections.

The problem is that the corruption margins on much of the above are too small or too troublesome to be worth realising (except perhaps the computers, where they can charge for a new computer made of substandard recycled parts and pocket the difference). Priorities, priorities...

This has nothing to do with "new or old" government, which is really off-topic here- the same types of schemes have always been implemented. It is more a problem of the culture within the educational bureaucracy at all levels.

Go to a rural primary school in, say, Sakorn Nakhorn. Count the number of children who walk to school barefoot, whose lunch is little more than a lump of sticky rice, whose uniforms are so old they barely hang together at the seams. Count the number of children in a classroom, the number of books in the school "library." Etc..

Then ask the principal to list the 5 things that the school needs the most - pencils and notebooks will be on the list, not computers or Internet access.

I absolutely agree!!!

^Personally, I'm with the "give them pencils, notebooks, shoes, and sufficient nutrition" brigade- add properly educated and paid teaching staff, electricity in the classrooms, books, medical care, computers sufficiently powerful to run word processors and other standard applications except Internet-

and then let's talk about Internet connections.

The problem is that the corruption margins on much of the above are too small or too troublesome to be worth realising (except perhaps the computers, where they can charge for a new computer made of substandard recycled parts and pocket the difference). Priorities, priorities...

This has nothing to do with "new or old" government, which is really off-topic here- the same types of schemes have always been implemented. It is more a problem of the culture within the educational bureaucracy at all levels.

I'm with you totally Stephen/Steven. Corruption is not required AT ALL in education. You & I know that it is rife...everywhere, as it is in my college. The Director always greets me with a smile & tries to talk to me. On the odd occasion, we do manage to have a conversation, which is great. Unfortunately as rumour would have it, he is at the centre of all corruption, which could be one reason why it took so long for me to get my public health insurance (government - 1 year). I have no objection to corruption as long as it is used in moderation (sounds like alcohol) but there is no place for this AT ALL in the education system.

It is a nice pipe dream for the minister to make a feel good announcement.

The reality is, as stated above, they cannot even get power to the schools. Even government departments do not have internet access, in the health department in one province the local manager has to buy dial-up for the office. This is how they communicate with the hospitals when it works. :o

Well, see how many things you did for that school - internet is obviously not their top priority, as education minister leads us to believe.

There's nothing wrong with Internet per se, it's just that he apparently doesn't care of schools' immediate needs.