Fire Insurance Refused

jaideeguy

I recently asked the local AIG insurance rep for a quote on fire insurance on a wood house that I am considering purchasing and after taking fotos and saying he had to check with the head office, he returned a week later with the news that his company doesn't insure wood houses. they WILL insure a cement house against fire, [555]

Does anyone have any experience with this delima?? or could recomend a reputable company in Chiang Mai that does offer fire insurance [and pays off if it burns]

I can’t advise on fire insurance, but I have an alternative approach.

When we take out insurance we are selling all or part of the risk to someone else with the intention of protecting ourselves against the financial consequences of (in this case) fire.

We are not protecting ourselves against all the other consequences of fire.

In reality it is those other consequences that really matter.

The alternative approach is therefore risk reduction.

While you have not given details, if the house you are planning to buy is free standing, (not joined to or very near other properties) then all the real fire risks are within your own control.

And so can to all practicable purposes be eliminated.

The three major risks are: Internal (Electrics and Cooking), External Fire in garden or outbuildings/garage.

Step 1 - Electrics

I would start by rewiring the whole house, installing correctly sized modern circuit breakers with Earth Leakage or Residual Current Cut-Out Protection. Importantly make sure all wiring is replaced and mega tested – Make sure that all wire connections are correctly made in proprietary terminals and inside proprietary terminal housing (no twisting wires together with tape).

Get enough power outlets fitted so that you do not have to use extension cords and multi-way connectors. NEVER use coiled up extension cables. If you plan your rewiring correctly you need not use extension cables.

Get in the habit of switching off all electrical appliances when not in use and disconnected at the socket.

Step 2 Cooking

Construct a gas bottle storage from concrete or brick outside of the house and pipe this to the cooker via a single isolation valve for the gas on the wall near the cooker, but not so that you need to lean over the cooker to reach it. Use two single runs (no couplings) of stainless steel tube – one run bottle to valve, one run valve to cooker.

Tile the area around the cooker and fit non flammable ceiling tiles above the cooking area.

Step 3 Fire Alarms

Fit and maintain smoke detectors

Step 4 House Keeping

Keep all flammable liquids out of the house (perhaps in the same storage area as the gas cooker). No smoking in the house.

External

Keep the garden well cut, no fire paths via dead and dried out grass/shrubs. Keep cars and motorbikes out of flame’s reach from the house.

Escape routes.

Make sure that you can escape a fire – This is particularly important where you have cages over doors and windows. Have a means of breaking these out and always keep keys in or very near the locks.

Fire Fighting

Fire extinguishers and fire blankets are cheap and effective – if you know how to use them.

Buy them, fit them and learn how to use them.

Fire Drill

Silly in a house – No it is not. Teach your family how to respond to an alarm, that shouting fire is not silly.

I recently asked the local AIG insurance rep for a quote on fire insurance on a wood house that I am considering purchasing

Or did you miss the OP's question in your rush to say nothing helpful?!

my reply was indeed superfluous. the OP must have already decided not to buy a wooden home..... after reading your dissertation on fire prevention and fire drills :o

guest house

I can’t advise on fire insurance, but I have an alternative approach.

oh no !! , practice your fire drills , get out your clipboards , sharpen pencils (not with a penknife by the way and not too sharp please , there may be children within 10 miles) and verify those checklists (in triplicate) , put out your ciggies , the dreaded health and safety evangelists are heading your way.

look at the insurance offered by SCB Bank. I have two hardwood houses, both fully covered. Btw I live in a 100 year old seaside village in the south, most all the houses are wood, and the tessa baan is encourging the locals to build/restore only in wood.

look at the insurance offered by SCB Bank. I have two hardwood houses, both fully covered. Btw I live in a 100 year old seaside village in the south, most all the houses are wood, and the tessa baan is encourging the locals to build/restore only in wood.

I to am thinking about insurance so took your advise and looked at the SCB Bank web site,

Note the exception to wood houses:-

http://www.scb.co.th/en/pnb/pnb_isr_nli_home.shtml

Service Features

Protection plan offers compensation for loss or damage to your house and properties as a result of fire, lightning, gas explosion, including natural disasters or unforeseen circumstances, e.g. floods, earthquake, tsunami, etc.

Types of homes eligible for insurance (residential buildings only)

• Single house (except wooden houses)icon13.gificon9.gif

• Town house

• Shop house

• Apartment/ condominium

Hmmmm. The adjusters came out took tons of pics. then signed our policy. We are paying about 1800 baht a year for a million baht replacement in case of fire or another tsunami. :o

most houses are wood here-- so we are not the only peeps with this insurance.