What Are The Rules Associated With The Wearing A Good Luck String Tied To One's Wrist By A Buddhist Monk?

rockyysdt

Dear fellow BM's.

Last year I had a white string tied to my wrist for good luck, after offerings of food and money at a Buddhist Temple.

I've worn this string for 11 months but was recently told that it should be removed after a week.

Keeping it for longer was considered dirty and others may look down upon you.

On learning this I soon removed the string, but I'm not sure how reliable my information was.

What is the protocol for wearing such strings?

Do they come in different colours and what would these signify.

Danny

I got a colored one from my gf's monk.  She asked me which hand I used to wipe my a** :o .  And she told the monk and he put it on the other hand.  I was told not to clean my private parts with the hand the string is on.  Mine also has a knot.  She said if I feel tired or not well, I should put a finger on the knot and say "nat mo tat sa, pak a wat toe, ara hato, samma som putta sa" three times........I've worn my for about six months so far.  She also told me to clean it with soap and water every so often...nothing about taking it off....

The default colour is white. Coloured ones and knotted ones are from specific temples. A common one you'll see in Bangkok is a yellow string with a smooth knot that comes from the temple of Luang Por Sothorn. What I heard is you wear them until they fall off, which is usually a long time.

I got a colored one from my gf's monk.  She asked me which hand I used to wipe my a** :o .  And she told the monk and he put it on the other hand.  I was told not to clean my private parts with the hand the string is on.

What if you are ambidexterous as far as ass wiping and private parts cleaning is concerned?

Does belief in superstitions (like "lucky" strings) have anything to do with Buddhism?

If we are talking about the core of the Buddha's teachings then no, I'm sure he Buddha discouraged that kind of thing.

If we are talking about how Buddism is practiced in Thailand today then sadly yes.