Car Insurance

billd766

My pick up insurance is due for renewal in a couple of months and i want to find another insurance company.

Does anybody know of a good one?

Don't forget. You have to renew insurance policies at the same time as renewing your tax. This was posted somewhere on the forum not so long ago.

Compulsory vehicle insurance

BANGKOK: -- The government has announced that any vehicle without insurance will not be allowed to re-register.

This policy came into effect on 1 September, and will be strictly enforced, the Director-General of the Department of Land Transport, Piyapan Champasut, told TNA.

The measure is aimed at increasing the level of compulsory vehicle insurance.

Only 67 percent of the country's 20 million registered vehicles have entered the compulsory insurance system.

More than 90 percent of passenger cars are covered by compulsory insurance, compared to 55 percent of registered motorcycles.

Anyone seeking to renew their vehicle registration must have a valid insurance policy to coincide with the whole of the registration period, otherwise their application for renewal will be rejected, Mr Piyapan said.

-- TNA 2004-09-04

My pick up insurance is due for renewal in a couple of months and i want to find another insurance company.

Don't forget. You have to renew insurance policies at the same time as renewing your tax. This was posted somewhere on the forum not so long ago.

BANGKOK: -- The government has announced that any vehicle without insurance will not be allowed to re-register.

This policy came into effect on 1 September, and will be strictly enforced, the Director-General of the Department of Land Transport, Piyapan Champasut, told TNA.

Only 67 percent of the country's 20 million registered vehicles have entered the compulsory insurance system.

More than 90 percent of passenger cars are covered by compulsory insurance, compared to 55 percent of registered motorcycles.

Anyone seeking to renew their vehicle registration must have a valid insurance policy to coincide with the whole of the registration period, otherwise their application for renewal will be rejected, Mr Piyapan said.

-- TNA 2004-09-04

Gazza

Thank you for the information.

I may have a problem as the pick up is registered in Bangkok and I now live 400 km in the north but I will find a way around that problem.

-- TNA 2004-09-04

if the government has a compulsory insurance scheme, do you HAVE to get additional insurance in Thailand ?

if the government has a compulsory insurance scheme, do you HAVE to get additional insurance in Thailand ?

No. If you purchase the Por Ror Bor coverage you do not need any further insurance on your vehicle to be in compliance with Thai law.

The government insurance scheme is really a medical expense fund for people injured in vehicle accidents and has very low limits. Baht 50k per person for medical expenses and baht 100k per person for a death benefit. No third party liability coverage for either bodily injury or property damage is provided. This means that if you are at fault and injure someone or damage their property, you are on the hook for damages other than the meagre medical cover offered by the government scheme.

Best to buy at least third party liability coverage in addition to the government scheme from a Thai insurer. Does not cost much.