Dj Arrested For Allegedly Using Fake Cds.

Boater

In the very early hours of Monday morning special officers charged with enforcing Copyright Laws raided Tony’s Discotheque on Walking Street and allegedly discovered 259 copy CD’s.

The officers arrested the DJ and impounded a DVD player and amplifier and took him and the alleged evidence to the Soi 9 station. Not long afterwards a musician came to the station and allegedly asked officers to give the DJ a special deal, but police refused to do anything other than what was required by law.

According to press reports the case will now go forward to be decided in a court of law.

http://www.pattayacitynews.net/news_24_03_51_3.html

As you can see in the above news clipping, they are now arresting DJ's for using Fake CD's

Now the reason for the topic and why it is in the Phuket Forum is the following

1) As i am aware ALL the DJ's in Phuket use Fake CD's, will the BIB start this crusade here you think?

2) It is all well arresting them for fake CD's, But where the hel_l do you buy real CD's in Phuket? I have seen 7-11 and tesco's ect sell CD's, but they are either all thai, or very old dance music? where can you buy the lastest music?

I hope they do not start this here in Phuket, as it would yet again damage tourism!

Copyright Laws how do they work ?

DJ Friend always copies his CD's, and never takes with him or uses the originals [says discs go walk a bout, get scratched etc]

Can you play a copy as long as you have the genuine one ?

Likewise all my genuine CDs I change to MP3 to play in my car, is that legal ?

The availabilety of CD titles in Phuket is not an issue at all, since any CD can easily be purchased online and shipped right to your front door.

This could be an issue for 2 reasons

1) to order on-line you need a credit card - ( most Thai's do not own a credit card.... )

2) to order the latest cd with all the relevent dance music online is 40$!!! thats 2 days wages for the DJ!

3) This is Thailand, Thai's will not pay 40$ for for something they can pay 4$ for ......

Solution? ............

The availabilety of CD titles in Phuket is not an issue at all, since any CD can easily be purchased online and shipped right to your front door.

This could be an issue for 2 reasons

1) to order on-line you need a credit card - ( most Thai's do not own a credit card.... )

2) to order the latest cd with all the relevent dance music online is 40$!!! thats 2 days wages for the DJ!

3) This is Thailand, Thai's will not pay 40$ for for something they can pay 4$ for ......

Solution? ............

A lot of DJs in Phuket buy stuff legit online and then burn to CD. However, a DJ being arrested is so rare that this must be a case of the police targeting one particular establishment. A huge amount of the music being played in Pattaya will be on pirate format.

ha ha ha.. Is that where you think DJ's source dance music..

White labels are now distributed through legal MP3 systems, especially if your a gigging DJ.. How would the police know whats a legit white label and whats a download ?? I can really see somchai in the station checking the IP rights and DRM on a MP3 !!

I mean, even from iTunes or similar legit service.. Whole thing is a joke.

Five or six months ago, Chalong Police were going through bars in certain areas within their jurisdiction and knocking them off for using pirated music and/or not having the documents (licensing) permitting them to play copyright music publicly (ie in their bars). I can't recall exactly, but I believe that there is an overall licensing fee (B2000?) plus a fee per CD and that all CDs have to be somehow listed. I could be wrong in the detail about that last bit.