Used Camera Equipment

sunnitimes

Is there a shop or an area of shops in Chiang Mai that sell used camera equipment. I am looking for a Sony Cybershot camera which, according to the shopkeepers in regular camera stores, has been discontinued.

Thanks, in advance, for all the help!!!

I've read warnings that you have to be careful with used digital cameras. The mechanisms are delicate and often they are gotten rid of because something is wrong.

Have you tried contacting Sony thailand? I think their website is sony.co.th.

the good thing, however, is that it's much cheaper to fix a broken camera here than it is overseas due to low labor costs. you just bring it to the sony headquarters on hang dong road a few kilometers south of airport plaza.

unfortunately, second hand stuff seems very hard to come by in chiang mai, and even all of thailand. at home everything is on craigslist or ebay or at countless second hand shops. i wonder where all the second hand stuff goes - probably gets handed down through one's extensive extended family.

i'm curious, though. which camera are you looking at getting and why? it's true that the small sony cameras did hit a peak somewhere around last year and due to the increasing number of megapixels, have been getting poorer and poorer reviews.

if you can, get a fuji f30 or f31. still considered by many to be the best compact digital camera ever made. amazing low light capabilities, and the battery lasts forever. the f40 isn't bad either. stay away from the f50.

by the way, just bought a sony a700 and am very happy with it. sony dslrs are excellent, but overpriced in thailand.

Have a look in the shops along the north end of the moat, Maneenopparat Road between Chang Puak and the junction with Chaiyaphum. Most of them deal in second hand goods as well as the new ones they have on display. One shop in particular run by a Chinese Thai gentleman, Khun Visit, is extremely helpful in sourcing hard to find items. (He is also the chairman of CM's Pawnbroking Association, which comes in handy.)

older sony compacts do not have very good reviews and from the few that i have tested, you better off getting other brands for older cameras. i have a fuji f30 and if a used camera is what you are looking for, go get that one...

Is there a shop or an area of shops in Chiang Mai that sell used camera equipment. I am looking for a Sony Cybershot camera which, according to the shopkeepers in regular camera stores, has been discontinued.

Thanks, in advance, for all the help!!!

The only shop in all of Thailand that 'I've' found to sell reliable second hand cameras is 'FotoFile' one the first floor of MBK Center in Bangkok. Their second hand gear is warrenteed, priced properly, and the staff knowledgable. They won't try to pawn off garbage. I've been buying and selling with them for years with no regrets.

Have a look in the shops along the north end of the moat, Maneenopparat Road between Chang Puak and the junction with Chaiyaphum. Most of them deal in second hand goods as well as the new ones they have on display. One shop in particular run by a Chinese Thai gentleman, Khun Visit, is extremely helpful in sourcing hard to find items. (He is also the chairman of CM's Pawnbroking Association, which comes in handy.)

Thanks for the lead; it was a Sony DCS-W1 that I was looking for and it had fairly good reviews. Mostly it is big enough for my hands to get around it whereas some of the newer digital cameras seem to be all viewing screen and no place to put my fat fingers.