Horrific Air Asia Experience: Please Beware

Junglejumbo

Air Asia can be a very horrific rip off! Please BEWARE

I recently booked a return flight to Kuala Lumpur Suvanahbumi airport at the Air Asia boothe, thinking I was saving about 3,000 baht compared to the Thai Airways price, however, I was about to start a horrific experience. The girl sold me a ticket for a delayed 18.45 departure at 18:50, assuring me that there was enought time to meet the flight, expected to leave at 19:35.

I made my way through the immigration, and as I had worked in Thailand for five years without leaving the country, the police were suspicous of my visas and I was led to the overstay desk for a further check. Luckily, I brought my work permit with me, which made it easy to see that I had been working continuously and that there wasn't a problem. However, the whole procedure of waiting for the immigration in the evening as well as the additional passport check took up about 15-20 minutes. I then made my way down to the gate, probably stopping off at a toilet on the way, and arrived at the gate at 19:26, apparently ONE minute too late. Although it was stamped in a smudged red ink on the ticket that the gate closed 10minutes before expected take-off, the significance of this wasn't pointed out to me at the ticked boothe.

I begged the girl to contact the plane, which I could see just outside the window (this was a walk on airplane) but she seemed to take a delight in saying that I was one minute too late and that I should have ran or walked a bit faster and asked my if I am "so unfit?". However, nobody informed me when I bought the ticket that I would need to "run" and anyhow what kind of response is that?

Expecting to be placed on the next flight for free which was due to depart some 50minutes later, I was obviously very distressed to be told that I must pay again, and not the same price but a full fair of 6,200 baht for a one-way ticket and I would lose all the 2,800 baht that I just paid for the current ticket. I objected and the girl said she would have to take me back to the immigration desk and cancel by exit stamp. We walked back and I pointed out that her speed of walking back again took a full 20 minutes to which she really didn't care. When we got to the desk, somewhat shockingly, she was the one that stamped cancel on my passport and not the police man. She also wrote my name in the cancellation book, and I could see a huge page of cancelled visas on Air Asia flights so there's obviously a rip off going on. I asked the police officer why he wasn't staping the passport and then he took an interest and looked at my passport and gave a telling off to the girl, but not because she was doing his job, but because my previous visa had no more days left so he said there's no point to cancel it as he couldn't let me back into the airport to buy another ticket.

The policeman said I had two choices, buy the ticket from the Air Asia girl paying cash, or be taken down to the police cells on the ground floor where I would have to wait until a friend came and bought a ticket for me. I might also be deported if I couldn't leave the country before midnight. So, with no choice in reality, I handed over the 6,200 baht and wasn't given any receipt because there was no time left.

I ran down to the gate with a security guard to catch this next flight, and just like before we arrived some 5 minutes minutes into the 10 minute deadline. But unlike the previous flight, there wasn't a problem in boarding the aircraft and the security guard was busy on his walkie talkie ensuring that I would be left in. So, if they could allow me on this flight "late" then why not the previous flight. Again, smells of rip-off to me but at leat they didn't pull the same trick twice.

On the return trip from Kuala Lumpur, I had just as many problems, but of a different nature. After the harrowing nature of the departure, and accidently arriving a day before a Malaysian public holiday disenabling me to get a new visa, I decided to return two days early. Now, I had been told at the Air Asia desk that I must pay 850 baht more to change a flight if 48 hours before departure. However, this is not correct. The Low Cost Airline airport at Kuala Lumpr (that's the name of it), is nothing more than corregated iron warehouse, with no fans and no air-condition. It also lacks any information counter, and I had to ask security to find where the Air Asia counter was. For these budget airlines, you're apparently expected to make all ticket changes on-line, and the counter at the LCA airport had for most of the time one staff. I counted 48 people waiting, and it took me two and a half hours to get to the counter girl. She really didn't know what she was doing, and everyone in the queue were angry and shouting at her, which was probably worsening her performance. For almost every click of the computer, she seemed to have to call someone to ask what to do. Anyhow, she told me that I would have to pay 6,200 baht equivelent because I had changed the flight time, and the fee of 900 baht but they would subtract the original 2,800 baht. There was no print out of the bill as the printer was broken and once again I was paying money without a receipt. I gave my credit card hoping I can settle this later, and thankfully this time there was no credit card print out to sign either (I hope that this will make it easier to argue the fee with the visa company).

My total flight cost then was 13,300 baht for a return ticket which is about 5,000 baht more than the Thai Airways return ticket to KL. Needless to say, Air Asia uses old aircraft, fit 6 people to the same row that Thai fits 4 people, and there's no free refreshments. Water also cost 50 baht at the airport for a small bottle, and no internet service is provided. I also was distrought from the heat and humidity within the airport, and the very loud noise of music and shouting bursting from a speaker continuously.

I will never fly budget airlines again. There is also no option on the Air Asia site for complaining. If I can edit this a bit, I'll write something to the Bangkok Post also.

To be honest. You elected to fly a budget airline did you read the terms & conditions of the FARE (Letter A, B, C) you were buying. It would have stated no changes to the booked flight unless you elected for the higher fare choices. Its common sense check the ticket details when you buy it.

You arrived late at the gate simple as that - It was not Air Asia's fault. If you expect problems at immigration give yourself more time and perhaps stop at the toilet at the gate not on the way there.

Your previous visa issues are again not air asia's fault.

I cannot really sympathise.

1. You arrived late at the gate for whatever reason Air Asias terms & conditions with regard gate closure times are published and your responsibilty to be there on time.

2. You purchased a non changeable ticket on Air Asia not the more expensive flexible ones.

3. The visa issues are not air asia's concern.

I agree with Huey, that was crappola service from Air Asia.

I've flown with them and not had problems, though that's 'mai pen rai' in this discussion. From the OP relates, I will avoid them in the future. Are the Shinawate still major stockholders?

Sorry to hear he had the nightmare experiences.

It seems to me you were cutting things a bit short. You showed up at BKK to buy a ticket leaving that evening with your visa expiring at midnight? You had not left the country in 5 years so common sense prevailing I would have had a reservation and arrived at the airport somewhat earlier. There are many posts on here about immigration and the long lines so that should have given you a clue.

I agree they should have just let you on the next flight without paying - but then again those are their rules. It's not their fault you were delayed at immigration. Working for the airlines myself I have witnessed bags offloaded from the aircraft and delayed flights because of passengers roaming around the duty free or waiting outside immigrations with relatives till the last minute not giving themselves enough time to go through immigration.

Budget airlines in general are all the same with the same strict rules. Most of us know that and use them at our own risk. One - two-Go is about the only one I know that lets you change with no cost - but then again I would not fly them.

You did no research about public holidays in Malaysia which is something again most of us would do. Just simply checking the Thai Embassy Website in KL would have told you they were closed because of a public holiday.

It is 850 baht to change your ticket 48 hours before your original flight plus any increase in fare. Booking on budget airlines in advance is what gives you the cheap ticket - not leaving that day gives you the full fare which is the same as booking on a full service airline.

Having been in and out of the LCCT at KUL many times - it's 95pct AirAsia so I find it hard to accept that you could not find the Air Asia ticket counter. It's like a big warehouse but it does have air conditioning.

Air Asia is only using A320 aircraft on the BKK - KUL run which is a new aircraft. Yes the seating is tight - but it is a budget carrier. Yes their is a cost for water/refreshments but again it's a budget carrier.

Good luck arguing your case with your credit card - you bought a service which was provided. You get what you pay for. Low cost and low service.

Having flown AirAsia I guess I've been lucky but then again I only use them when I know my plans are solid.

Sounds like Air Asia alright. Happier flying on TG for sure.

I've used Air Asia a dozen times or so and I can tell you I've never really had a problem. I understand I pay for the flight only and that's all I expect to get. If the guy has lived in Thailand for 5 years or more he should understand the local rules. Knowing what Thai services are like I would never book and travel the same day unless I had time up my sleeve and I wouldn't rely on the immigration office at the airport, a quick trip to Suan Plu earlier in the day would be the way to go even if it were only for peace of mind. I think a little pre trip thinking would be advised next time he leaves Thailand irrespective of what mode of transport he uses.

I didn't read all the above posts completely but I can offer you my opinion. I fly around SE Asia often and I have flown Air Asia many times.

Air Asia is not a good airline. It does not value customer loyalty because it relies on basic passenger volume to support its business model. They are a bare bones operation. Their baggage delivery time is atrocious.

I will only fly Air Asia when there is no other choice for a particular route (i.e., Krabi-Kuala Lumpur). I will happily pay a higher fare to a different airline than fly Air Asia.

Based on my recent experience I prefer Tiger Airlines or Nok Air. I just wish they would get their website issues worked out for customers with overseas credit cards.

Edited by onomataho

Air Asia can be a very horrific rip off! Please BEWARE

I recently booked a return flight to Kuala Lumpur Suvanahbumi airport at the Air Asia boothe, thinking I was saving about 3,000 baht compared to the Thai Airways price, however, I was about to start a horrific experience. The girl sold me a ticket for a delayed 18.45 departure at 18:50, assuring me that there was enought time to meet the flight, expected to leave at 19:35.

I made my way through the immigration, and as I had worked in Thailand for five years without leaving the country, the police were suspicous of my visas and I was led to the overstay desk for a further check. Luckily, I brought my work permit with me, which made it easy to see that I had been working continuously and that there wasn't a problem. However, the whole procedure of waiting for the immigration in the evening as well as the additional passport check took up about 15-20 minutes. I then made my way down to the gate, probably stopping off at a toilet on the way, and arrived at the gate at 19:26, apparently ONE minute too late. Although it was stamped in a smudged red ink on the ticket that the gate closed 10minutes before expected take-off, the significance of this wasn't pointed out to me at the ticked boothe.

I begged the girl to contact the plane, which I could see just outside the window (this was a walk on airplane) but she seemed to take a delight in saying that I was one minute too late and that I should have ran or walked a bit faster and asked my if I am "so unfit?". However, nobody informed me when I bought the ticket that I would need to "run" and anyhow what kind of response is that?

Expecting to be placed on the next flight for free which was due to depart some 50minutes later, I was obviously very distressed to be told that I must pay again, and not the same price but a full fair of 6,200 baht for a one-way ticket and I would lose all the 2,800 baht that I just paid for the current ticket. I objected and the girl said she would have to take me back to the immigration desk and cancel by exit stamp. We walked back and I pointed out that her speed of walking back again took a full 20 minutes to which she really didn't care. When we got to the desk, somewhat shockingly, she was the one that stamped cancel on my passport and not the police man. She also wrote my name in the cancellation book, and I could see a huge page of cancelled visas on Air Asia flights so there's obviously a rip off going on. I asked the police officer why he wasn't staping the passport and then he took an interest and looked at my passport and gave a telling off to the girl, but not because she was doing his job, but because my previous visa had no more days left so he said there's no point to cancel it as he couldn't let me back into the airport to buy another ticket.

The policeman said I had two choices, buy the ticket from the Air Asia girl paying cash, or be taken down to the police cells on the ground floor where I would have to wait until a friend came and bought a ticket for me. I might also be deported if I couldn't leave the country before midnight. So, with no choice in reality, I handed over the 6,200 baht and wasn't given any receipt because there was no time left.

I ran down to the gate with a security guard to catch this next flight, and just like before we arrived some 5 minutes minutes into the 10 minute deadline. But unlike the previous flight, there wasn't a problem in boarding the aircraft and the security guard was busy on his walkie talkie ensuring that I would be left in. So, if they could allow me on this flight "late" then why not the previous flight. Again, smells of rip-off to me but at leat they didn't pull the same trick twice.

On the return trip from Kuala Lumpur, I had just as many problems, but of a different nature. After the harrowing nature of the departure, and accidently arriving a day before a Malaysian public holiday disenabling me to get a new visa, I decided to return two days early. Now, I had been told at the Air Asia desk that I must pay 850 baht more to change a flight if 48 hours before departure. However, this is not correct. The Low Cost Airline airport at Kuala Lumpr (that's the name of it), is nothing more than corregated iron warehouse, with no fans and no air-condition. It also lacks any information counter, and I had to ask security to find where the Air Asia counter was. For these budget airlines, you're apparently expected to make all ticket changes on-line, and the counter at the LCA airport had for most of the time one staff. I counted 48 people waiting, and it took me two and a half hours to get to the counter girl. She really didn't know what she was doing, and everyone in the queue were angry and shouting at her, which was probably worsening her performance. For almost every click of the computer, she seemed to have to call someone to ask what to do. Anyhow, she told me that I would have to pay 6,200 baht equivelent because I had changed the flight time, and the fee of 900 baht but they would subtract the original 2,800 baht. There was no print out of the bill as the printer was broken and once again I was paying money without a receipt. I gave my credit card hoping I can settle this later, and thankfully this time there was no credit card print out to sign either (I hope that this will make it easier to argue the fee with the visa company).

My total flight cost then was 13,300 baht for a return ticket which is about 5,000 baht more than the Thai Airways return ticket to KL. Needless to say, Air Asia uses old aircraft, fit 6 people to the same row that Thai fits 4 people, and there's no free refreshments. Water also cost 50 baht at the airport for a small bottle, and no internet service is provided. I also was distrought from the heat and humidity within the airport, and the very loud noise of music and shouting bursting from a speaker continuously.

I will never fly budget airlines again. There is also no option on the Air Asia site for complaining. If I can edit this a bit, I'll write something to the Bangkok Post also.

I think the pulll by immigration and the visit to the toilet caused you to miss your plane,.

I didn't read all the above posts completely but I can offer you my opinion. I fly around SE Asia often and I have flown Air Asia many times.

Air Asia is not a good airline. It does not value customer loyalty because it relies on basic passenger volume to support its business model. They are a bare bones operation. Their baggage delivery time is atrocious.

I will only fly Air Asia when there is no other choice for a particular route (i.e., Krabi-Kuala Lumpur). I will happily pay a higher fare to a different airline than fly Air Asia.

Based on my recent experience I prefer Tiger Airlines or Nok Air. I just wish they would get their website issues worked out for customers with overseas credit cards.

Absolutly agree, they give out piss poor customer service, and wherever the fault lies, surly not with them!!! but use em again yeah for sure, they cheap, have many destinations coverd and freqent, so yeah id use em again, and as another poster says dont think about a refund if ya late due to imigration or anything else thats down to us, but hardly a Horrific Air Asia Experience: :o

Air Asia is a low-cost point-to-point carrier. I have used them many times from Australia to Thailand via KUL and dostically inside Thailand. You get what you pay for - CHEAP - usually - but be aware sometimes it is cheaper to fly Thai Airways on the same route.

Peter

I've only been to KL LCCT once, and it was a while ago but I'm sure there is an information counter there, next to the domestic check-in counters. I don't know how anyone could miss it. Maybe there was a problem with the air-conditioning when you were there but I know I would remember if there wasn't any at all, how could there not be in a place like KL?.

Turning up at the airport and booking a ticket only six hours before your visa expires sounds a risky thing to do anyway. You're just not allowing yourself very much leeway in case of a problem. I wouldn't be so sure that booking a ticket on Thai at short notice like that is going to be cheaper. The times I've had to buy a ticket at an airport ticket counter at short notice have always meant the ticket price was expensive.

For the price I pay I still fly Air Asia. Tiger and JetStar are more reliable with their departure times so I use them more often but when AA have great prices like 3000 baht total for Bangkok-Jakarta return booked 5 weeks in advance then I will still use them. At that price I'm not going to complain too much if they are running late and they usually are. I have no complaints about the staff. At the prices I usually pay I don't expect to be waited on hand and foot and the check in staff have always been fine, no complaints from me but a lot of the complaints I see relate to people who get upset when they are made to pay for having luggage that exceeds the free allowance so I imagine the check in staff are dealing with some annoyed customers even if it's the customers fault for not bothering to read the conditions when they book.

To be honest. You elected to fly a budget airline did you read the terms & conditions of the FARE (Letter A, B, C) you were buying. It would have stated no changes to the booked flight unless you elected for the higher fare choices. Its common sense check the ticket details when you buy it.

You arrived late at the gate simple as that - It was not Air Asia's fault. If you expect problems at immigration give yourself more time and perhaps stop at the toilet at the gate not on the way there.

Your previous visa issues are again not air asia's fault.

I cannot really sympathise.

1. You arrived late at the gate for whatever reason Air Asias terms & conditions with regard gate closure times are published and your responsibilty to be there on time.

2. You purchased a non changeable ticket on Air Asia not the more expensive flexible ones.

3. The visa issues are not air asia's concern.

I completely agree. Everyone should know by now they need to arrive AT LEAST 2 hours (3 would be better for Swampy) for an international flight. Also, planes start boarding 30 minutes before take-off...and why should everyone else be delayed to accommodate a late passenger!

I have flown AA at least a dozen times and while not perfect, you do get what you pay for and I have always gotten to where I was going.

I do sympathize with the Kafkaesque situation regarding the visa situation and being caught in some kind of never-never land between not being able to leave the country or reenter the airport terminal to buy another ticket! This seems like some weird black-whole in the regulations...surely an immigration supervisor would have allowed this guy to "re-enter" the country (sans leaving) in this situation to go to AA's ticket booth to buy another ticket.

Flew Air Asia once, a round trip to Chiang Mai. Neglected to read the fine print and was hit with a hefty weight surcharge for my luggage. Wound up being overall the same price (with the surcharge) as if I'd flown Thai which would have allowed me to bring my cases on at the heavier weight and use the lounge and faster check-in. Shame on me for assuming the weight limits are the same as other airlines.

Yeah but I think a thread titled "I need to get to the airport sooner" wouldn't have gotten quite the same response.... maybe 5-6 posts instead of the blur of traffic that is 16 posts.

:o

Edited by Heng

Agree the OP started the chain of events - so he's to blame for most of what followed. But this extra charging with no-receipt thing does indeed sound like a classic thai rip-off, doesn't it? Perhaps aircrew1 will know better, but doesn't the ground agent (in this case the smart-assed girl) have the power to place you on the next flight without charge? I know they 'can' make you pay again - just never heard of it 'actually' happening.

I wouldn't dismiss this suspicion of a rip-off going on (and while it may be a stretch that immigration is in collusion with the Air Asia Ground Staff it's sitll within the realm of possibility).

but doesn't the ground agent (in this case the smart-assed girl) have the power to place you on the next flight without charge?

No they don't. Its a budget carrier the majority of air asia cheaper tickets are NO REFUND, NO CHANGE. Pretty much no anything - you pays your money....

Agree the OP started the chain of events - so he's to blame for most of what followed. But this extra charging with no-receipt thing does indeed sound like a classic thai rip-off, doesn't it? Perhaps aircrew1 will know better, but doesn't the ground agent (in this case the smart-assed girl) have the power to place you on the next flight without charge? I know they 'can' make you pay again - just never heard of it 'actually' happening.

I wouldn't dismiss this suspicion of a rip-off going on (and while it may be a stretch that immigration is in collusion with the Air Asia Ground Staff it's sitll within the realm of possibility).

If I read the post correctly the extra charging with no receipt happened in Kuala Lumpur and theOP used a credit card so it would be difficult to rip off. The charge will show air asia on his credit card statement so I don't know how the agent would make out.

You have a very good point thaigene2. As a flight attendant we know the gate agent has a lot of power to deny boarding to a passenger or upgrade a passenger for that fact. But if a flight is late because a gate agent did not close the gate in time they also are held responsible. Being based out of BKK myself I know our gate agents could in fact put the passenger on the next flight without any payment if they wished. But when a passenger is nasty...they inturn take the pleasure to "enforce" the rules.

I was not there but I can imagine there was some sort of scene at BKK airport when he did not get on the original flight and could see the plane outside, and we know Thai do not like scenes and will get even if they have a chance if they felt they lost face. I see it on the aircraft with the Thai crew I work with when a passenger on board gets nasty as well.

... Luckily, I brought my work permit with me, which made it easy to see that I had been working continuously and that there wasn't a problem...

You said your work permit was cancelled on 3 March 2008. Were you allowed to keep the work permit book after cancellation of the permit?

I have been working with a work permit at the same firm for more than four years but I resigned last month and my work permit will be cancelled on Monday ...

--

Maestro

If I read the post correctly the extra charging with no receipt happened in Kuala Lumpur and theOP used a credit card so it would be difficult to rip off. The charge will show air asia on his credit card statement so I don't know how the agent would make out.

You have a very good point thaigene2. As a flight attendant we know the gate agent has a lot of power to deny boarding to a passenger or upgrade a passenger for that fact. But if a flight is late because a gate agent did not close the gate in time they also are held responsible. Being based out of BKK myself I know our gate agents could in fact put the passenger on the next flight without any payment if they wished. But when a passenger is nasty...they inturn take the pleasure to "enforce" the rules.

I was not there but I can imagine there was some sort of scene at BKK airport when he did not get on the original flight and could see the plane outside, and we know Thai do not like scenes and will get even if they have a chance if they felt they lost face. I see it on the aircraft with the Thai crew I work with when a passenger on board gets nasty as well.

Thanks - I thought that too..People need to 'jai yen' a bit...esp if they've lived here five years - and they ought too know a bit better too, no? Having said that, I've had a rather unpleasant experience with this airline. Assured, in advance, we'd get pre-boarding with our two young babies (back then - 2005 or 06?). That eventually meant onto the BUS, which of course descended into a free-for-all when the bus doors opened to RUN up the stairs. I'll never fly Air Asia again either, since they didn't give a sh+t about my crying kids - and some 'senator' type who HAD been given the front row (how did that happen?) told me to 'move on' when I was complaining (this little <removed> didn't know how close he came to a real serious bashing - honestly - a tip for all, never challenge a man with his little daughter in his arms - he was really, really, lucky..I wouldn't have cared how many body guards he had). As you can tell, this infuriates me as I write this - even some two or even three years on!

Edited by thaigene2

You can't book a budget airline and expect them to wipe your bum for you. Book online, arrive 2 hours in advance and you won't have problems. How could you not be aware that the gate closed 10 minutes before take-off? Did you think they would let you on a minute before take-off? You got lucky second time but that's not the norm. Just use common sense when travelling and these things won't happen.

I suggest you provide facts to substantiate such a serious & potentially damaging allegation.

This is a web forum. Like any web forum, anyone can post any crap they like. Just read any one of the posts in this thread as proof. Air Asia is hardly going to be quaking in their boots or seeking legal recompense over it.

Next.

Yeah but I think a thread titled "I need to get to the airport sooner" wouldn't have gotten quite the same response.... maybe 5-6 posts instead of the blur of traffic that is 16 posts.

:o

I agree with Heng. Show up a few hours early and make sure you have plenty of time. You'll never have a problem if you do this. :D

Rather impressed with Air Asia considering the cost of the flight - can't grumble. I'll continue to use them. :D

Edited by britmaveric

The Low Cost Airline airport at Kuala Lumpr (that's the name of it), is nothing more than corregated iron warehouse, with no fans and no air-condition. It also lacks any information counter, ...and no internet service is provided. I also was distrought from the heat and humidity within the airport, and the very loud noise of music and shouting bursting from a speaker continuously.

Sorry, this is, to use a sub navel term, total bolox. Apart from getting the name of the airport almost right, the rest of your comments I found to be completely wrong. On my visit to LCCT I found the air conditioning working, information counter useful, free WiFi, the list goes on...

Guess the heat and humidity clouded your perceptions?

I have used AA many times over the last 5 years and I can honestly say that I have only had good luck with them. Yes, there have been delays many times, but I consider that part of the reason why the ticket is low cost. This is a bus in the air. Get on and get off at your stop. Miss it and you must take the next one. No refreshments served. Simple. Why make life difficult?

one month ago flying air asia from ubon to kl via bangkok. we arived at ubon airport to learn of a 2 hour delay. i had not received notice of this as i had not advised aa of a change of mobile number. other (brighter) passengers on that flight received sms advice of delay late the previous evening!

i showed my connecting tickets to the check-in staff & asked what i should do about the getting to kl. the lass gave me refreshment vouchers & asked us to wait at the cafateria untill she could find out what could be done.

about 20 minutes later she reapeared to advise:

the good news was that the flight from bkk to kl was also delayed--by about 1 hour. as now the connection time was very tight she had done the following. (1 ) obtained priority boarding passes for us so we could get seats to be able to disembark quickly at bkk. (2) arranged for aa staff at bkk to get our bagage onto the kl flight. (3) aranged a vehicle to pick us up at the foot of the steps of the domestic flight & take us to the international check-in --- where they were expecting us!

we made the flight to kl by about 5 minutes. the staff at aa ubon have nothing but my greatest admiration. their performance was exceptional. no FULL SERVICE airline could have done better ---- many have done MUCH worse.

the terminal at kl is pretty good. it is airconditioned. the counters are as easy to find as anywhere. the in/out handlimg was ok. oh--- and no---- we did'nt get ripped off.