Military-style Camoflage Clothing A New Taboo

sriracha john

Military clothing a new taboo

Military-style camouflage clothing is now a fashion taboo, the Defence Council has decided. The council feels there is a real danger attached to the wrong people making a fashion statement by wearing clothes styled after military uniforms. Insurgents in the far South have been known to plant bombs wearing what look like military camouflage uniforms. Peerapong Manakij, the deputy spokesman for the Defence Ministry, said it is against the law for civilians to pose as soldiers. The punishment under the Military Uniforms Act of 1934 is a jail term of between three months and five years. However, children are exempt. Military fatigues have inspired local and international clothes designers whose collections are widely available and are now common street wear. Maj-Gen Peerapong said wearing clothes which resemble a full or partial military uniform is nonetheless illegal. Police will be asked to cooperate. The spokesman said Prime Minister and Defence Minister Samak Sundaravej agreed with the move. For those who own military fatigues, the council suggests they ''take the clothes out of the closet and dye them''. ''Don't they have anything more important to think about, like the country's security?'' said Wuthichai Phuttaraksa, the owner of Tongchat shop, which sells camouflage clothing and camping equipment at Chatuchak weekend market.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/31Mar2008_news04.php

I have a pair of camouflage shorts, am I liable to be arrested for wearing them? Or are they talking about people wearing full military garb?

Yes.

Maj-Gen Peerapong said wearing clothes which resemble a full or partial military uniform is nonetheless illegal.

It is so refreshing to see a Thai government finally tackling the big issues.

Police will be asked to cooperate.

Kerrrchinngggggg!

So who wants to arrest the following ?

I think they should be rounded up and ordered to remove the offending garments immediately. I will volunteer to personally supervise the operation and do a thorough check to ensure all traces of said garments are removed.

This line from the piece cracked me up.

''The concern [over people wearing military uniforms] is unreasonable. I think the authorities would be better advised to look into those who dress like policeman and squeeze money from people,'' she said.

Errrm, you mean the real police don't you?

I see day-glo pink, blue, orange and green are about to make a come back.

If the government makes mandatory it for the whole civilian population to wear these colours wouldn't it make it easier to spot the terrorists in the south ?

Makes as much sense as banning camo.

Edited by sibeymai

Good to see that the government are getting their priorities right. :o What will be next? Brown trousers and brown shirts?

Sure that the BIB will enforce this law with a great deal of enthusiasim, as it's clearly a potential money maker. :D

It's all undercover, under the camoflage of what the government spokesperson says, and what the real message is. Is this an anti-military movement, to punish the generals for the coup? Okay, no more photo ops for little Sasakorn and Lekchai to pose in front of the tanks that purged Shinawatra. Will they cancel the orders for all that new military hardware, voted in by the coup's willing legislators?

Military-style camouflage clothing is now a fashion taboo, the Defence Council has decided. The council feels there is a real danger attached to the wrong people making a fashion statement by wearing clothes styled after military uniforms. Insurgents in the far South have been known to plant bombs wearing what look like military camouflage uniforms.

They obviously feel there's a real danger to people wearing military style attire.

At first it sounds like another antiquated, idiotic law being brought in to line the pockets of Thailand's corrupt officials, but given the high level of violent crime involving firearms, the extra-judicial murder of thousands of innocent people by Police death squads, the ongoing Civil War in the South and the high likelihood of yet another coup, it occurs to me this is more sensible than we first give them credit for.

You are giving these people a whole lot of credit that they may not deserve. If a farang can be picked up for wearing camo shorts on Sukhumvit Road then I would say they have gone over the top. If it is directed at full military camo uniforms then I can get behind it. Like every idea Thailand comes up with not very much thought goes into how the information reaches the public and how it is going to be perceived. We just have to wait until it shakes out and someone in authority clarifies this for us.

In the US you would be arrested for simply wearing a jacket that says POLICE, SHERIFF, DEA, ICE, etc on the back. The presumption is that you are impersonating a police officer.

certainly doesnt make sense....rediculous!!!!

living in a country with 'that' sort of violence, now really, here camouflage is a fad too...but there are easily other ways of spotting if someone is the 'real' thing or just a 'wannabe'...

having said that, i was stopped once by military police while wearing a flight jacket that wasnt army issue; i had to take it off and show that it didnt have the little army insignia on the inside label....

and now ,here, designer keffiyahs are coming into fashion worn by both sides of the wall....how would that work out in thailand?

next, all animals with camouflage fur will have to go... to the pot! (if any such have managed to escape the isaan slingshot that is...)

bina