Why Am I Making This %#@^& Stupid Border Run ?

"35yo, not married, no job - how to avoid border runs"?

Why do you want to avoid the border runs?

Ah I see without any money you can't afford the busfare, visa fee's & inflated beer prices at the border (which by the way doesn't have decent hookers either & no gogo bars!) :o

May I dare to ask who pay your ST's then if you have no income - rich parents?

Truly baffled by these kind of questions???

Much more so than the why o why LOL

As you obviously cannot back up your last comments, I feel compelled to respond.

The point of my post is that Naam stated "border runs are for those that lack the intelligence to seek alternatives".

I do not have 'alternatives', other than the 'Elite' card, which they are trying to limit membership to, and double the price http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2006/02/11...ss_20000739.php

You are obviously a little bit jealous that I had the means to retire at 33 yrs, but hey, so are my parents. Unfortunately they are not rich, they are 72 and 69 respectively, and when they came to visit over Christmas and New Year I paid for their flights.

I am well aware that I will have to continue with my border runs until I marry (which I think will come before I reach 50), but unlike the majority of farangs here, I would like a proper relationship before I marry, and not do it for convenience. I have been living with my fiancee for over 18 months now, would you marry someone in your home country that you have only known for less than 2 years?

No need to reply, because I know the answer, give it another 18 months and then I will happily commit. Don't get me wrong, I love her to bits, but it took a few friends in England to remind me how small a time we have spent together.

I still don't know what you mean by ST's, if you mean short times then you are showing your true colours here. Also talk of hookers and go-go's!! If you were a little younger then you might understand that you can have a relationship here without paying for it.

Yes I did partake in the girly scene when I was single, but not during the last 18 months - and no she doesn't read this forum.

I can afford the busfares thankyou, and I will probably be here long after your 'wealth' has evaporated.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why Am I Making This %#@^& Stupid Border Run ?, Does anyone have ANY explanation that makes sense?

stupid border runs are mandatory for people who lack the intelligence to seek alternatives. as simple as that! :o

OK Naam, maybe you could enlighten me. I am 35, not married, and don't work. I have had a legitimate non-o visa for the last 2 years, how would you suggest I avoid the border runs?

one alternative is to marry a thai lady, the other option i know about works but is illegal.

Why Am I Making This %#@^& Stupid Border Run ?, Does anyone have ANY explanation that makes sense?

stupid border runs are mandatory for people who lack the intelligence to seek alternatives. as simple as that! :o

OK Naam, maybe you could enlighten me. I am 35, not married, and don't work. I have had a legitimate non-o visa for the last 2 years, how would you suggest I avoid the border runs?

one alternative is to marry a thai lady, the other option i know about works but is illegal.

Please PM me with some more details...........unless it has anything to do with ladyboys :D

Please PM me with some more details...........unless it has anything to do with ladyboys :D

sorry, i am a law abiding guest in this country :D you have to find out for yourself.

Well another man that clearly understands what I'm bitching about.

This makes 2.

But still, I'm left in the Dark as to ... WHY????

Is there no one out there with a logical, reasonable answer???

Must I continue this exercise in uselessness without ever understanding.... WHY?

CS

Well you can count me in... so there's 3 of us :D My neighbor a Brit has been married to his Thai wife for the past 15 years. They both have a 14 year old son. I was shocked when he told me that he's been doing visa runs every 3 months for the past 15 years.

It's only been two years for me.... so I really can't complain :o TIT... But hey 3 more years and I can get the retirement visa - good for 1 year and with doing extensions every year, practically I don't ever have to leave if I don't want to.

Cheers

sweetchariot,

thanks for your details & yes I did mean short times with the ST's :o

For sure I'm not one to recommend you to marry just for a visa - at least not with a girl you met recently.

So your best options for the time being as laid out remains:

1. elite card: no more border runs :-)

2. 6-36months multiple entry non imm visa's such as ED(education), BIZ(open a biz), tourist: however this option as know will involve tri-monthly border runs unless you're traveling out now & again...

3. monthly border runs :D may I here suggest you try to avoid poipet as it's bound to be the worst place on earth to spend the day - I know I did it once (as a border run) & another time as part of a trip to angkor wat (recommended).

In general try to choose some less over run border & if you have the time make trip out of it - see some new places like laos, myanmar, malysia, vietnam, indonesia, taiwan, east malysia etc. So much more to southeast asia than LOS for the narrowminded!!!

btw I'm 34y & running profitable biz, so unless you saved millions & spend wisely I'm bound to maintain wealth longer than you :D

cheers!

Sorry, it may be a dumb question, but why haven't you gone the extension route?

I'm planning on getting an extension closer to the expiration date of my Visa. If the 90-day border runs are such a P.I.T.A., why wait???

According to LopBuri, the extension clock starts counting from the last date of your current visa "ENTRY"... My 1 Year expires in November... Yes, your visa expires in November, but when does your current permission-to-stay end?

If I apply in October, based on my Wife's 2007 Tax Return of about 600K baht I should get a yearly extension until November 2009...

Saving myself another VISA Run to KL for the maximum time frame.

That will also give me 2 opportunities to renew my extension.. If I understood Lopburi3 correctly, you have an opportunity to apply for the extension every 90 days...? based on her anticipated 2008 Income, or 2009 income on a new Visa, if we have a bad year in 2008. Kow Jai???

I just hope it works and there are no screw-ups. TIT

But I'm still pissed about having to waste these days every 3 months.. and for WHAT good reason???

I just can't figure it out.

CS

Sorry, I still don't get it. Mai Kow Jai.

Your wife has done her 2007 tax return. The last date to do them would have been 31 March. As such, she has evidence of her income acceptable to immigration.

Righto, you've just done a border run. Say you did this April 1. This means you have a stay stamped till the end of June in your PP.

So in the last 30 days of THIS current stay, you go down and get your extension based on proof of 40K per month family income.......no more border runs...

I'm with Samran on this, I'm not clear why the OP feels he has to keep doing border runs until the expiration of his visa, if he is able to get the one-year marriage extension at the end of the current 90-day permitted-to-stay period.

(a) Is he able to apply for a one-year extension only at the end of the visa validity (November), or

(B) is he able to apply for a one-year extension at the end of each 90-day permission to stay?