Smokers Beware

melbat

A friend of mine told me that my favorite restaurant was raided yesterday in Chalong and one of the customers there was fined 2000 baht for smoking. The owner was also fined 20000 baht. At first I did not belive it because this restaurant in not air conditioned and in fact all the sides of the place are open with just a roof. Tonight I visited the restaurant but was unable to talk to the owner as he was so busy but on all the tables were no smoking signs and no ash trays visible. Customers were smoking but outside the restaurant area. So I'm 100% sure what my friend had reported to me is true.

I was under the impression that the new law did not apply to open restaurants or non aircon. I was also under the impression that the Mayor had put this law on hold for the time being. Anyone else heard any news on this?????

.....basically,....I DON'T GIVE A HOOT :D

basically, youre a waste of space :o

glorying in usury, the small struggles of a business to make ends meet being taxed by the law, laughing at lliberties being denied . crawl back under your stone. :D

If it has a roof you can't smoke.

Brevity, thy name is twschw.

I haven't read the law, but I'll bet good money it took many more words to express what you just did in 8.

you ought to deal with thai people more often :o

smoke cannot do have roof!! :D

chris

I would take this story with a pinch of salt.

The law came into effect on 11th Feb, and covers all 'public spaces':- air-con bars, beer bars, markets et al.

However the Ministry of the Interior (not the local Mayor) declared that whilst the law is currently in force, fines will not be issued until June 1st - only warnings to transgressors will be dealt out in the interim.

Reading between the lines this is the Thai way of doing a u-turn on an obviously unpopular and draconian piece of legislation, in the hope that it will be forgotten by June. The Thais understand this, hence the reason that 90% of the places that went smoke free in February are now back to smoking as usual.

The only places in Pattaya still adhering to a ban are the high profile air-con establishments on Walking Street (discos, go-go's etc), and the majority of air-con restaurants. This seems fair enough and a happy compromise in my book, especially as I don't really frequent discos or go-go's, and find it difficult to smoke whilst eating.

"I would take this story with a pinch of salt."

ok

sooner or later it will start, & quickly, one morning well be reading on here or papers, 20 bars/ ago gos, resteraunts etc get done, just a matter of when!

theres too much money at stake for it not to happen!

just my thoughts sweetchariot, and as you and i have seen in pattaya with these new fines for all new music licences etc and tv now added to it for 25 days of football, it is a joke, but not!

chris

The law came into effect on 11th Feb, and covers all 'public spaces':- air-con bars, beer bars, markets et al.

However the Ministry of the Interior (not the local Mayor) declared that whilst the law is currently in force, fines will not be issued until June 1st - only warnings to transgressors will be dealt out in the interim.

Reading between the lines this is the Thai way of doing a u-turn on an obviously unpopular and draconian piece of legislation, in the hope that it will be forgotten by June. The Thais understand this, hence the reason that 90% of the places that went smoke free in February are now back to smoking as usual.

The only places in Pattaya still adhering to a ban are the high profile air-con establishments on Walking Street (discos, go-go's etc), and the majority of air-con restaurants. This seems fair enough and a happy compromise in my book, especially as I don't really frequent discos or go-go's, and find it difficult to smoke whilst eating.

Dont take this with a pinch of salt... This is 100% true.... If you care to write to me I will give anyone the name of the restuarant and they can check it out for themselves.. THIS IS NOT A MADE UP STORY!

Dont take this with a pinch of salt... This is 100% true.... If you care to write to me I will give anyone the name of the restuarant and they can check it out for themselves.. THIS IS NOT A MADE UP STORY!

Cha cha 'melbat' i think, all sweetchariot is saying He/she would take it with a pinch of salt, i would say its prob right due to money, and in my opinion will happen more & more!

chris

But you said in your OP that you were unable to verify it, so it's 100% hearsay.

I also said I visited the place last night.... and all the ashtrays from the tables had been removed and no smoking signs had been placed on the tables too.. He would not have done that if the story was not true.. but I will speak with the owner today to get the story verified... be happy to keep you posted!

Edited by melbat

If it has a roof you can't smoke.

Brevity, thy name is twschw.

I haven't read the law, but I'll bet good money it took many more words to express what you just did in 8.

you ought to deal with thai people more often :D

smoke cannot do have roof!! :D

chris

Roofless? Can smoke!

Amateurs! :o

But you said in your OP that you were unable to verify it, so it's 100% hearsay. Wishful thinking? Sounds like your getting worried - June is fast approaching. :o

........... I don't really frequent discos or go-go's, and find it difficult to smoke whilst eating.

......but as soon as you finish eating do you then light up whilst others are still eating?

Judging from your arrogant posts in other threads regarding your blatant disregard for the smoking laws, I'd say that you would.

Just as a side issue, did you read that the report from the British Medical Association in which it claims that smoking is a major cause of erectile issues in guys.

It affects every part of sexual and reproductive health and reduces fertility.

I wonder if this is the reason why you don't frequent discos or go-go's. :o:D

Just kidding, of course.

Edited by Mighty Mouse

Dont think u have to be worried... most places dont even enforce it now and i have seen plenty of police officers pass by restaurants where people were smoking.. hel_l besides santika in bangkok most clubs allow smoking now.. just no ashtray

as far as 2000 baht fine.. just lol at it and pay.. just buy a beer instead of a bottle next time u go out

Thats why i am so horny,i packed up 2 years ago lol.

forget that,i was horny all the time when i did smoke heheheheh.

all smoking should be banned when people are eating.

Do you smoke after sex?...... :o

I go to sleep, and forget to look.... :D