Farang Eating Habits

Dr. Burrito

Just curious about folks eating habits. WhY? Guess because I love to eat and my ample girth proves it too.

I find myself eating Thai food mostly as a daytime thing and farang food as a night time thing.

Way back when, farang food oriented restaurants here were <deleted>. Not the case anymore. There are some very, very nice venues about town for me and my 44 in. waistline to stroll into and make the owner smile with glee whilst the staff stare is muted horror. Guess they've never been to a Wal-Mart. At worst there, I would look normal.

Anyway, the dinner places, Italian, French, steaks, even some of the Enlgish pubs, ave some very, very decengt to great food, so after I've strolled from the office the five feet to a taxi, I am off to culinary pleasure.

Yet, daytime, I find teh farang lunch type food places, burgers, sandwiches, pizza and such to at best be nominal, usually downright bad in comparison to shop house food whilsit being about 20 times the price. So for lunch, even breakfast, I find Thai to be quite enjoyable, tasty and a wonderful bargain.

Any similar or dissimilar thoughts? Just curious.

Only a little fella myself and always beng told off about my eating habits....or lack of them. Do tend to eat once a day, usually late at night. Do like a nice place to go though.

Have to agree Dr B re the improving quality of restaurants. Always look for folks opinions on these boards and often give them a try as a result. Any suggestions please feel free to pass on.

The corner of Langsuan you mentioned a fave. I do like Pattys Fiesta in Patpong.........love Mexican food.I t's more the place than the food I enjoy there though. I know the waitress well, she joined us on a night out once and the fella who sings is a real fun bloke. The food is ok at best but do go there about twice a week.

Please feel free to let me know a good steak place. Have tried a couple and were pretty decent.

Found a place in Phuket last month that did a quality cheeseburger. Was real impressed. Was actually a thai owned place down a side street.

Someone mentioned a pub/reataurant by the river on another thread. Will give that a blast next week I think.

Thai food mid-day but prefer light farang meal in the morning and a farang meal that's really filling of an evening.

For Thai meals I frequent the same places for particular dishes. When the vendor knows me by sight they usually give me the best meats. Whereas new places that may think of me as a one visit only customer, I'll often get a load of bones, grisle or skin with straggly bits of meat. :o

Eat mostly Thai food , lunch and dinner . Not sure what qualifies as Thai food though. Usually visit the local food market, buy fried chicken(beats KFC hands down)along with the sticky rice fried onion thing, a fresh fish to cook up at home, a few dick on stick novelties. :D For lunch, visit the local som tam lady.

Oh well,i love farang food, as does the missus. If we get the craving, order a pizza or visit Sizzler , who now serve Tiger Beer :o

Please feel free to let me know a good steak place. Have tried a couple and were pretty decent.

Someone mentioned a pub/reataurant by the river on another thread. Will give that a blast next week I think.

A good steak restaurant I recommend is The Madison in the Four Season (aka The Regent), that's if you want to go top notch. After that would be Neil's Tavern and then followed by Chokchai Steakhouse.

The pub/rest by the river-Buritara (I shud be getting commission! :o ) ambience is great but be patient about the service....especially when packed.

Farang food for breakfast, Thai for lunch and dinner.

Boon mee.....that is correct....if you eat smaller amounts often you will keep your metabolism working and will maintain your body fat better. Also dont eat carbohydrates at night before bed.....bread, potatoes, rice, pasta etc..... Best to eat lean meat, fish and salads or something along those lines.

Between main meals you can have yogbhurt, fruits, muesli bars......all available in Thailand.

Well, is there anywhere you can get a decent sandwich in town. I miss my heros.

Steaks here, not too bad, for Aussie beef and all. Uptown-New York Steak House, Neils. Normal - Steak 1 on Suk 4 is damned decent for the price.

Pizza, still looking for a good New York slab of pie. Thought Ronny's would be it, but something is just missing. That said, I'll try it again, because who knows, maybe it was an off day.

Let me try my best here, you know about girls and directions!!!! :o

It depends on where you are coming from. If you start from Sukhumvit, then you take the crossover bridge near Queen Sirikit Convention Center, then keep going straight from there and you'll be on Rama 3 Rd. From there on you keep on driving straight and straight and straight and pass a condo building on the left side which has a Bua restaurant (really sorry can never remember that condo!) after you pass that condo then you're quite close. Keep to the left and look out for a sign that says Weekend Market 3 and the parking entrance should also have the sign BURITARA. And if you start from any other place, find Rama 3 and you're homeward bound.

Good luck and sorry if I probably made you more confused with my directions!

Well, I like cooking, but I hate washing up - by the way, 'non-stick' is just words right? They don't mean anything, like 'hamburger' or 'while-u-wait'

I'm also a master of lad cooking;

Mamma surprise - Mamma cup and a can of tuna

Tuna surprise - a can of tuna and a mamma cup

Bread sandwich surprise - two slices of bread, with a slice of bread for filling.

Keyboard Noodles surprise - Take a straw and suck up all the noodles that have fallen between your keys this last month.

For dessert I can do you;

Sweet Ice surprise - condensed milk poured over a bowl of tasty ice cubes

Apple surprise - Put an apple in the freezer (Needs to be pre ordered 24 hours in advance)

Cider surprise - When you leave an apple surprise out over night you can pur the contents into a mug and enjoy this hearty breakfast, guaranteed to repeat on you all day.

My tried and trusted Hangover cure:

Hangover surprise - eat one un rehydrated mamma cup, takes all the fluids right out of you and leaves you feeling......radiant. Note. For that extra bad hangover, treat yourself to a nice heaped tablespoon of coffeemate.