Whats Best Non B Or O

Hi,

I currently have a extension of stay to work in Thailand but i understand that if the job went pear i would be required to leave in 7 days this would be a real pain in the ass as i will be having a baby in 2 months and could not afford to have to do that, so when it comes to renewal i will get either a NON B or O, i have heard that as i am married to a Thai person i can work on a NON O is this correct and if so is their any differences or advantages/disadvantages between the 2 and is there any difference between them and a extension of stay apart from the fact you dont have to leave every 90 days on a Extension of stay..and finally does anybody know where i can get some red leiecster mature cheddar cheese in the Silom area

thanks alot

I have a Non-o marriage 1 year visa, but I always thought it was 400,000Baht per year total income? about 34,000Naht per Mo.??

You must have misunderstood. Your visa would not be cancelled, but your new extension of stay would show that it is for living with your Thai wife, no longer for employment, and this is exactly what you want. With the new extension for living with your Thai wife you can continue to extend you work permit and therefore continue to work, but if ever you stop working you do not have to leave the country immediately.

And yes, your wife has to be present for the application for extension.

--

Maestro

At usual at lot to digest guys!

I currently have a non B with work permit. I only got a single entry 90 last trip to Malaysia due to a signiture not being in my work permit from the labor Dept saying I can have a 1 yr Multi Non B. I am 50 in Oct and I am thinking of doing 1 more 90 in Malaysia and then go back to Oz for my 50th and get my 1 yr then. I do border runs every 3 months and extend my work permit the same. This way less dealing with the BIB. (SS)

I live with my Thai lady (Not Married) and her 2 kids 5 & 7. I have bought her a laundry which she makes a sound living from.

I own and run my own business here in Thailand and have for 3 yrs..

Would I be better with an O Visa than a B and what are the benefits? (Thanks in advance guys)

Makes no difference. If you were married and on one year extensions of stay the family extension would be preferred by most as you would not lose it on loss of employment. But for visa entry that does not apply.

If you are married to a Thai you are eligible for the extension of stay. No age requirement.

--

Maestro

Your marriage must be registered with the Thai Consulate in Bangkok. If not you are note married legally here in Thailand.

Also remember alot of countries don't recognize the marriage if you were married here in Thailand.

Hope this helps

Maestro is saying that you do not need to go to a consulate and get a new visa. Just get a new extension of stay from immigration based on marriage after you can show 40K/month family income. Then if you lose your job, you would still be able to remain.

Not sure if this appropriate but my recent experiemce was fairly straight forward - my Non Imm B multiple had ran out - I am not employed here but as a freelancer I travel and work throuought Asia and get paid into my UK and Thai bank account from overseas commissions - so I dont need a work permit - I was in Melbourne and took my Marriage certificate, Thai wifes House registration, ID photocopy and birth certificate of my baby (not necessary - nor was any proof of earning demanded), and they gave me an 'O' visa without any further question - come back tomorrow and do you want that a multiple entry or 90 day? multiple please says I- very well sir.

I am 50 in July and will after that apply for a marriage visa and I believe I do not have to prove any monthly salary, even though I can - I am going to get my legal boffins to do it as for about GBP100 its worth the time and hassle I save, even though I will have to go with them to immigration of course - but I think it is all pretty straight forward.

I am very confused now, as I have definitely been told that income/salary declaration would not be required when i next applied - after July birthday for a 'marriage visa' - this is the best known legal company in Th'nd selling their services and they have a dociument called 'marriage visa' with all the bits and bobs needed for it - certainly the reason for my being allowed the 'O' is because I am married, but this is not the visa that my advisors call the marriage visa - are they trying to just wheedle cash out of me? They took nothing for the advice on the 'O', but will do so when i apply for the so called 'marriage visa' - as they call it. Is there really no such thing as a marriage visa? if so why would they and so many use this term if it did not actually exist?

I understand you are confused. I don't blame you for being so, as I was also confused after listening to everyones opinion on this subject when it was time to get things done. I know everyone wants to help which is great, but everyone has different situations dealing with immigration. The best thing for any one is to go to immigration and ask them to explain your situation.

If you have to take someone with you that can translate for you that would be good also. Hope this helps.

Your marriage must be registered with the Thai Consulate in Bangkok. If not you are note married legally here in Thailand.

Also remember alot of countries don't recognize the marriage if you were married here in Thailand.

Hope this helps

1. There is no Thai Consulate in Bangkok. Thai Consulates are located outside Thailand. And there is no requirement for any registration at a Consulate to make a legal marriage.

2. You are married legally in Thailand if you registered marriage at a District Office, or if you have a legal marrage elsewhere.

3. I only know of countries that recognize marriages in Thailand.

My wife, son and I went to Korea in early 2006 and stayed until August last year, therefore my Non Immigrant "O" visa extension (based on marriage) expired. When returned in August, I had a 12 month multiple entry "O" visa (visiting my wife and son). I commenced employment in October at a university in Bangkok and the Immigration Department extended my "O" visa to correspond with my work permit (and contract). The university has told me that my "O" visa will be extended again when I sign a new 12 month contract in October.

Thus I can continue to live and work here with this "O" visa rather than an "O" visa based on marriage or a "B" visa. I assume the rule allowing fathers to live with their children after the age of 50 years, allows the fathers to continue working?

Your extension of stay is for employment so will end with loss of employment (not based on family which would remove that possibility). As they seem to be re-considering work permits on retirement extensions do not believe over 50 living with child extension would be a problem.

Your extension of stay is for employment so will end with loss of employment (not based on family which would remove that possibility). As they seem to be re-considering work permits on retirement extensions do not believe over 50 living with child extension would be a problem.

Interesting, thank you.

The university tells me that the original visa was extended (purpose visiting my wife and child), therefore is not reliant on employment. So can my "O" visa be extended for anther 12 months when I sign a new contract? I did not know that there was an "O" visa extension for employment.

Thanks LopBuri3, as is often stated "the visa issue really is confusing".

Only you and your wife can extend one year for family reasons - your wife must be present and sign documents. Do you presently have a one year extension of stay or perhaps only a sixty day extension?

What is extended is your permitted to stay time - the original visa makes no difference now (just that it was non immigrant). If your extension is for family (40k per month income) it would last the entire year even if employment was ended.

I believe I have an "O" visa that was issued in Seoul (June 2007) and now has an expiry date in late October 2008. I will double check but I know it is not a "B" visa, I did not have to pay at Immigration for the extension. I went to Immigration (soi Suan Plu) with a letter from my employer and a copy of my work permit. Five minutes and a new stamp with the date of expiry changed to October ie. a 4 month extension was placed into my passport.

You obtained an extension of stay without payment of 1,900 baht? Can you please check your passport and advise exactly what it says as that sounds a little too good. A visa has a validity of 90 days if single entry and you obtain a 90 day stay on a non immigrant visa entry.

Ok, unfortunately my passport is at home but I will check tonight. I will also have a chat with the admin chap here about what documents etc he actually included in the package I gave the officials at Immigration.

Again thank you for your assistance.

All extensions of stay cost 1,900 baht and require your photo/form tm.7 signed by you. If for family they also require marriage certificate/copy of wife id and home register and that she be present. Something is very strange here but it sure does not look like a family based extension of stay.

Do you not have to go to the border every 3 months on a NON O???

No, only 90-days reporting at immigration with 1 year extension of stay.

That require you to have a joint income with your wife of 40.000 Baht/month

And I have a couple of friends that have WP+Non-O

I may be wrong so hope others will clarify (I'm on different visa now), but a few years back I worked on a NON-B with a Work permit and had to show up at Immigration Police (Ratchada Pisak One Stop) every 90 days to declare I wouldn't be 'leaving the country'

Edited by thaigene2

You had an extension of stay from a non immigrant B visa entry. The visa only allows a 90 day stay and you must leave the country. The extension removes the need to leave the country but when you stay longer than 90 days you must report your address to Immigration every 90 days.

You had an extension of stay from a non immigrant B visa entry. The visa only allows a 90 day stay and you must leave the country. The extension removes the need to leave the country but when you stay longer than 90 days you must report your address to Immigration every 90 days.

It was "too good to be true", my previous was incorrect.

1,900 Baht, form TM7 (signed by me), a photo, letter from my employer, and a copy of my work permit were given to the official at the Immigration office.

I have included a scan of the Multiple Entry "O" visa (granted in Seoul re visiting my wife and son) and the extension stamp (until October 24th 2008) given by Suan Plu Immigration office on December 25th 2007. I went to Laos in October for a 90 day extension.

seykota

post-952-1209434738_thumb.jpg

post-952-1209435531_thumb.jpg

Edited by seykota