Why "bangers"?

track61

Just curious if there is some specific meaning and/or reasoning many of "youse guys" use these two, what seems to me, fairly ridiculous substitutes for the names of two of our "fairest" (subject to debate) cities.

Just curious if there is some specific meaning and/or reasoning many of "youse guys" use these two, what seems to me, fairly ridiculous substitutes for the names of two of our "fairest" (subject to debate) cities.

Pretty much English slang, old chap:

"I say, will you be heading orf to Bangers this weekend for the rugger match, old boy?"

-"Doubtful sir, as I intend to stay in Patters, and a state of inebriation, with a brace of lissome young sluts."

Hope this helps. :o

Just like you can head off to Singers for the weekend.

Seems mainly to apply to locations in SE Asia

Examples:

Honkers- Hong Kong

Yangers- Yangshuo

Singers- Singapore

Bangers- Bangkok

Changers- Chiang Mai

Patters- Pattaya

For some reason I have not heard Jackers for Jakarta :o

I think of the -ers suffix as originally British schoolboy or university slang. Champers for champagne, blackers for black velvet (Champagne and Gunness mixed.)

A variation is -er without the s. Rugger for rugby, soccer for association (football).

These aren't malaproprisms, by the way. A malaproprism is using one (usually fancy or learned) word when you really mean to use another. From Mrs. Malaprop, a social-climbing character in the 18th century English play The Rivals (Richard Brinsley Sheridan) who had a habit of doing that.

Check out Wiki for wider application of -ers http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxford_%22-er%22

Edited by Crossy

Crosser

Great explanation of engrish nicknames.

It has a southern Hemisphere equivalent, at least for names, where everyone's name can be butchered and therefore everyone can be BMF (best mates forever) usually in the context of rugby of similar.

It involves only using last names, and inappropriately shortening then adding Ys onto everything.

e.g. Grant Fox becomes Foxy......

e.g. Sean Fitzpatrick becomes Fitzy....

and so on. Using such an approach for place names would occur except that usually these somehow get left out. Marginally less popular is shortening then adding an S:

e.g. Anthea becomes Ants

Personally I prefer some of the sailing nicknames downunder, where there is a Raw Meat, a Balls, a Barrelman the Human Barrel, Gabby and more recently Friar Tuck. I know my girlfriend has her share of nicknames including Grandma Pajamas and The Mastick Seagull.

The ironic thing with all these nicknames is rather than shortening conversations down, they end up making them longer...syllables, explanations of what we are talking about.....the whole malarky.

in that case, i'll be ms. manners which is really uhmmm so err, cultured, polite, and refined and MODEST... :o

its not malaproprism, just misrepresentation cuz am not coming from manila... :D

sorry, i gatecrashed. just taking some break off from work!

So the nickname for Phuket would be ???? .....

dunno jinggers. Why would a seppo want to understand the subtle arts of ockerisms anyway? :o

Potentially something like stevo said, Phukkers, Phukker, Phukky, Phuks. But that would be really pushing a name onto it IMHO.

Phuket works fine, but perhaps if you were taking the piss, the 'phuck it' could be another alternative.

'sorite maate. isjus thway we tork ere in straya.

sno worries , abitta ozzy colcha forya.

(F)Ockers, the Aussie equivalent of American Rednecks, are those blokes with pot-bellies in singlets, wearing shorts, thongs and bush hat. Oh, and don't forget the tinnie in a can holder and zinc cream on the nose (at least they're sun smart!). Their female counterparts squeal in high-pitched ocker accents, and wear t-shirt, trackie pants and moccos to bingo. Of course you have the newer generation: the females still screech, but some of them exercise now (though the amount of skinny ockerinas is staggering, so some of them need to replace a few ciggies with some nutrition); males are often slim, yet still loud, one-eyed and apathetic to the outside world. Most of us try not to call ockerinas, "Bush pigs"...

Or maybe all of this has something to do with "<deleted>'s", eh?

The much loved late Brian Johnston JOHNNERS (English cricket commentator) used these all the time.

Michael Atherton became ATHERS.

Jonathan Agnew AGGERS.

Henry Blofeld BLOWERS.

For those who do not know who I am talking about I apologize, but it just reminded me of someone who meant so much to English cricket fans.

The much loved late Brian Johnston JOHNNERS (English cricket commentator) used these all the time.

Jonathan Agnew AGGERS.

Henry Blofeld BLOWERS.

For those who do not know who I am talking about I apologize, but it just reminded me of someone who meant so much to English cricket fans.

whatever Lity.

Only interest i have in cricket is the short backwards square, David Boon (boony) the 5 foot nothing Tasmanian with the ill fitting trousers.

And that interest is only due to the 12th man cricket commentary tapes.

Ya cant' beat a bit o' ritchie Beneau can ya.

Richie. Er...ok, that doens't work.

Rich.

Yeah, he is the exception to nicknames that proves the rule.

Stevey.

Jonathan Agnew AGGERS.

Henry Blofeld BLOWERS.

whatever Lity.

Only interest i have in cricket is the short backwards square, David Boon (boony) the 5 foot nothing Tasmanian with the ill fitting trousers.

Rich.

Stevey.

The cream, the bone, the white, the off-white, the ivory, or the beige there stevo?

Richie Benaud "Welcome back to the SCG, Pakistan are tchew(2) for twenty-tchew."

"Oh <deleted> it...Its a good caption that!"(referring to a photo print of Alan Donald's run-out)

Bill Lawry "Gottim'! Yes! P!ss off! You're out! That's f**ked his average Tony!"

''And Shane Warne drops the ball, or takes a reverse-catch as it's called these days."

Tony Greig (about Max Walker's attempts at being rehired) "Well fow (for) stawters (starters) you cood (could) have the bawsted (bastard) bawwed (barred) from this pawt (part) of the brordcawst (broadcast) irea (area)!"

"He's certainly mawstered (mastered) the awt (art) of fawst (fast) bowling in the lawst (last) year and a hawf (half)"

Mark Taylor (speaking very fast, quoting his air-conditioner ad) "Jitsu. Straya's favet air!"("Fujitsu, it's Australia's favourite air")"

Jonathan Agnew AGGERS.

Henry Blofeld BLOWERS.

whatever Lity.

Rich.

Stevey.

Booners and Benners they will know all about Jonners.

Off topic a fraction but Ritchie Beneau . A good Ausie

Edited by Lite Beer

Jonathan Agnew AGGERS.

Henry Blofeld BLOWERS.

whatever Lity.

Rich.

Stevey.

Remember the great quote "the batsmans Holding the bowlers Willey"?

Jonathan Agnew AGGERS.

Henry Blofeld BLOWERS.

whatever Lity.

Rich.

Stevey.

Remember the great quote "the batsmans Holding the bowlers Willey"?

And " Botham failed to get his leg over" when his leg hit the wicket.