Xp Updates

grtaylor

I had to re-install XP for various reasons, and my CD is not the latest copy. So, my computer starts downloading all the security updates and installing them, until a week ago or so, when, having downloaded 93 updates, it would only install some of them. I now get a message saying I have 87 updates waiting to install, but it fails everytime I try to do it.

Any ideas whats wrong?

I had to re-install XP for various reasons, and my CD is not the latest copy. So, my computer starts downloading all the security updates and installing them, until a week ago or so, when, having downloaded 93 updates, it would only install some of them. I now get a message saying I have 87 updates waiting to install, but it fails everytime I try to do it.

Any ideas whats wrong?

Not sure if this will help with this instance, but for future XP installs you might try RyanVM's Windows XP Post-SP2 Update Pack. This pack is designed to bring a Windows XP CD with SP2 integrated fully up to date with all of the latest hotfixes released by Microsoft since SP2's release.

Or you could just download and install SP3.

Any ideas whats wrong?

Not sure if this will help with this instance, but for future XP installs you might try RyanVM's Windows XP Post-SP2 Update Pack. This pack is designed to bring a Windows XP CD with SP2 integrated fully up to date with all of the latest hotfixes released by Microsoft since SP2's release.

Thanks for all the ideas. I was wondering whether SP3 might be the easiest way to go - I'll try that first.

Are you sure you have enough place on your c: to store the updates and install them?

Yes - space is not a problem.

The "techies" where I work have just downloaded SP3 and tried it. So, far it has crashed the first two computers they used it on . . . .

G

If the suggestions thus far have failed, you might try going directly to the Microsoft download page.

You can get there via your "System" folder which you will find in the Control Panel. Go to the 'Auto updates' link and click on the "Windows Update Website" link.

Then choose "Custom."

You will either be offered a choice of installing the outstanding updates or you will see a list on the left information panel indicating all the outstanding updates for your system.

There will be three categories. High Priority, Optional Software and Optional Hardware.

You can then choose to download these individually. Obviously, the most important ones will be the High Priority, so choose these first.

For some of these update, you will need to do as I originally suggested and that's to switch off your anti spyware program. Some brands of anti spyware are responsible for these downloads failing to install.

I got cold feet about trying SP3, but was able to cure the problem by making a new "up-to-date" CD, using the link above, and then reinstalling XP.

Thanks for all the advice :o