Radar Crackdown On Expressway Speeders

george

Radar crackdown on expressway speeders

Express warning

BANGKOK: -- Drivers with a need for speed will have to find a new place to zip along at 120 kilometres per hour

Speeders driving at more than 120 kilometres an hour on expressways can expect surprise radar checks and heavy fines.

Driving at 120 exceeds the legal limit of 80kph, says Lt-Colonel Dussadee Sukarasape, a senior traffic policeman attached to an expressway station.

Police have relaxed the universal speed limit of 80 on expressways but are stricter with habitual speeders.

Last year there were 29,548 speeding offences prosecuted. More than 5,000 of these were by women and almost 61,000 were caught on radar checks. The fastest clocked was 272kph.

Motorists caught speeding face a Bt500 fine, deduction of 30 points and a 15-day suspension.

After a long grace period, speed checks are now conducted twice a day, twice a week - at both rush hours and non-rush hours. Mondays and Fridays are the most popular days for speed checks.

Locations and times of these checks are chosen randomly by different police units performing duties on three special toll ways - the first-stage and second-stage expressways, and the Don Muang toll way.

Advance warning

The officer says "speed checks ahead" signs will from now on be erected in advance to warn motorists. Vehicles detected with radar will be issued tickets at tollgates ahead. Violators are required to pay fines within seven days. They can seek picture evidence at police stations the day after.

Dussadee says a new type of radar, although not as sophisticated as those used by the Highway Police, also record pictures along with speed records. "With the previous type we used, traffic policemen had to write down licence plate details and descriptions of violators' cars by hand," he adds.

Buses and lorries with six wheels cannot drive faster than 80 kilometres on expressways and toll ways.

Sakdichote Mangsachart, 32, says he watches out for speed checks whenever he uses toll ways after being fined Bt400 for driving at 136kph - a speed he used to travel at regularly until the surprise checks.

Sucheewa Noothong, 29, says she was recently fined Bt500 for speeding at more than 120kph.

--The Nation 2008-05-05

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As if this would make any difference. As soon as you have a license plate from let's say a province in Izan, the North of the south, the police will try to intimidate you right away near Don Muang and demand money from you even if you commit no offense. I have caught these criminal policemen on mobile camera several times. I refuse to pay, I often simply drive off even if they stop me.

Last year there were 29,548 speeding offences prosecuted. More than 5,000 of these were by women and almost 61,000 were caught on radar checks.

Ok, is it just me or does someone see something odd in these numbers?

- 31,452 speeding offences were not prosecuted. Does this mean the offenders were let off with a stern admonishment and/or the tea money fund was blessed with donations?

- "More than 5,000 of these were by women" What does this mean? If it's "more than" it could be 20,000 etc. If it was only 5,000 or so, does that mean that the balance was attributable to katoeys, hermaphrodites, males, dogs, or what?

- If women only comprimised approx. 17% of prosecutions but represented 35% of drivers, does this mean that women can be considered safer drivers? :o (I'll leave that to the misogynists to debate)

I wish the english language press would put more effort into writing coherent stories. It would take the mystery out of these news stories.

Last year there were 29,548 speeding offences prosecuted. More than 5,000 of these were by women and almost 61,000 were caught on radar checks. The fastest clocked was 272kph.

Even more remarkable than the incredible speed reached.... was the offending vehicle.... caught here with a special hi-speed action camera.... otherwise, it would have just been a blur as it flew by....

speeders.jpg

Edited by sriracha john

Yeah right! Buses going 80 kmh. That'll be the day!

Actually i was wondering when Thailand would start using this money maker. But I really doubt they're going to bust anyone and everyone over the speed limit. It would save a lot of fuel of folks slowed down though. aye?

Radar crackdown on expressway speeders

Express warning

BANGKOK: -- Drivers with a need for speed will have to find a new place to zip along at 120 kilometres per hour

Speeders driving at more than 120 kilometres an hour on expressways can expect surprise radar checks and heavy fines.

Driving at 120 exceeds the legal limit of 80kph, says Lt-Colonel Dussadee Sukarasape, a senior traffic policeman attached to an expressway station.

Police have relaxed the universal speed limit of 80 on expressways but are stricter with habitual speeders.

Motorists caught speeding face a Bt500 fine, deduction of 30 points and a 15-day suspension.

After a long grace period, speed checks are now conducted twice a day, twice a week - at both rush hours and non-rush hours. Mondays and Fridays are the most popular days for speed checks.

Locations and times of these checks are chosen randomly by different police units performing duties on three special toll ways - the first-stage and second-stage expressways, and the Don Muang toll way.

Advance warning

The officer says "speed checks ahead" signs will from now on be erected in advance to warn motorists. Vehicles detected with radar will be issued tickets at tollgates ahead. Violators are required to pay fines within seven days. They can seek picture evidence at police stations the day after.

Dussadee says a new type of radar, although not as sophisticated as those used by the Highway Police, also record pictures along with speed records. "With the previous type we used, traffic policemen had to write down licence plate details and descriptions of violators' cars by hand," he adds.

Buses and lorries with six wheels cannot drive faster than 80 kilometres on expressways and toll ways.

Sakdichote Mangsachart, 32, says he watches out for speed checks whenever he uses toll ways after being fined Bt400 for driving at 136kph - a speed he used to travel at regularly until the surprise checks.

Sucheewa Noothong, 29, says she was recently fined Bt500 for speeding at more than 120kph.

--The Nation 2008-05-05

Yeah right! Buses going 80 kmh. That'll be the day!

Actually i was wondering when Thailand would start using this money maker. But I really doubt they're going to bust anyone and everyone over the speed limit. It would save a lot of fuel of folks slowed down though. aye?

I followed one on the road into Kabinburi last week & had to do 130 kmph just to keep up with it!!

As if this would make any difference. As soon as you have a license plate from let's say a province in Izan, the North of the south, the police will try to intimidate you right away near Don Muang and demand money from you even if you commit no offense. I have caught these criminal policemen on mobile camera several times. I refuse to pay, I often simply drive off even if they stop me.

"Izan"

Tell us more !! Just where is Izan ??

Have been here for coming up 20 years but haven't stumbled across this place. :o

I get stopped every time at the toll gate when the police are active simply because I'm farang. They tell me I was caught speeding on radar and ask for 500 - 2000 baht. They got me once. After that I drive 80 and when I'm asked for money I calmly say no I was driving 80 (my gf says this is thai also). They smile and let me go. It's a total scam. My gf says they need the money for their families. So do I.

I have seen 3 of these speed traps in BKK now and always set up at the same place!!! Remember these spots, slow down and you'll be fine.

Speed Trap # 1-On the Bang Na Elevated Expressway towards Chonburi.

Coppers have the radar gun out near the Nation Building. You can see the building 2 miles out so no excuses for getting caught at this one. Coppers will stop you at the collection both for your toll card.

Speed Trap # 2- On the Dong Muang Elevated Expressway towards Rangsit.

Coppers have the gun out at the International Exit and stop you at the toll both at Rangsit.

Speed Trap # 3- On the Bang Na Elevated Expressway coming back into BKK.

This one I have only seen twice and what really woke me up to it was pretty much getting caught. They are parked in a yellow truck on the side of the road about 4kms after you pay the initial toll that you hand in your toll card on the way back from Chonburi. Or about 2 kms before you pay the 10thb to get on the normal expressway.

I was the only car around and rolled passed the boys in brown at 165kph. Due to the fact that I didnt have any ca$h on me I stopped to check my tires, engine oil and everything else on the car a km past them. This safety inspection took a good 20-30 minutes but after that I was sure my car was safe to be on the highways of Thailand. I came up to the 10thb both paid my fare and drove past 5 coppers who had 4 cars pulled over.

These are the main routes I travel regularly. Let me know if there are other spots that you have seen these B*******!!!! I don't think they ever move around or try being sneaky. A friend mentioned that sometimes they on the LAST ON-Ramp to the Elevated Expressway to Chonburi though I have never seen them here nor ever been stopped at the collection both.

Edited by MaddDog

I'd be interested to know the elevated tollway from Bangna to Chonburi ever gets subject to speed checks. I know they catch people on the approach to the tollway at the Bang Na end. But the 50km elevated stretch, as far as I know is never policed.

I get stopped every time at the toll gate when the police are active simply because I'm farang. They tell me I was caught speeding on radar and ask for 500 - 2000 baht. They got me once. After that I drive 80 and when I'm asked for money I calmly say no I was driving 80 (my gf says this is thai also). They smile and let me go. It's a total scam. My gf says they need the money for their families. So do I.

"they need the money for their families..." :o EVER HEARD SOMETHING ELSE HERE !???? Maybe they forgot to mention that they also need the money for the booze that night, and next night, and next..... Mother fuc_kers, that's what they are !!

Indeed, it's ONLY because we are farang, mobile trees with GOLDEN leaves ! When is the government going to do something about this ?? i guess NEVER as they teach their people how to handle with farangs, jesus ! Sometimes i wonder why we, ALL of the farangs, don't just leave this country, only to see what they gonna do without all our golden eggs ! :D

Last year there were 29,548 speeding offences prosecuted. More than 5,000 of these were by women and almost 61,000 were caught on radar checks.

- 31,452 speeding offences were not prosecuted. Does this mean the offenders were let off with a stern admonishment and/or the tea money fund was blessed with donations?

- "More than 5,000 of these were by women" What does this mean? If it's "more than" it could be 20,000 etc. If it was only 5,000 or so, does that mean that the balance was attributable to katoeys, hermaphrodites, males, dogs, or what?

- If women only comprimised approx. 17% of prosecutions but represented 35% of drivers, does this mean that women can be considered safer drivers? :o (I'll leave that to the misogynists to debate)

I wish the english language press would put more effort into writing coherent stories. It would take the mystery out of these news stories.

Don't expect coherency from the Nation. They've cut their farang editing staff to the bone. And they never have native English speakers edit their online copy.

That said, I drive the expressways all the time and I have trouble believing these numbers. I have NEVER seen a copy pull anybody over on the express way. NEVER. I've seen Expressway cops almost get blown over as a some moron in a BMW whizzes by going 170 and the cop never batted an eyelid.

If this is true it will the autobah.... uh sorry, expressway a lot more safer. Anybody that has driven the expressway should now that Thai drivers have no regard for anybody's safety.

"they need the money for their families..." :o EVER HEARD SOMETHING ELSE HERE !???? Maybe they forgot to mention that they also need the money for the booze that night, and next night, and next..... Mother fuc_kers, that's what they are !!

Indeed, it's ONLY because we are farang, mobile trees with GOLDEN leaves ! When is the government going to do something about this ?? i guess NEVER as they teach their people how to handle with farangs, jesus ! Sometimes i wonder why we, ALL of the farangs, don't just leave this country, only to see what they gonna do without all our golden eggs ! :D

They don't stop you cuz you're farang. I've NEVER been stopped at the booths EVER. If you're driving a truck you'll get pulled over, but not a sedan (saloon) or an SUV. The cops will pull anybody over in a truck cuz they think they are poor and are therefore not important and therefore are more able to elicit bribes from them. But it has nothing to do with you being farang. i've driven here for 6 years and have gone through multiple cop checkpoints and never ever ever have I been stopped.

So 29,545 prosecuted and of those 61,000 were caught on radar checks. Did anyone else notice the mathematical problem with this statement?

Or this may be the beginning of a new era on Thai roads....fingers crossed it is...

aunt works for the people who handle speed camera's in Australia.

There have been a few missions to Thailand in the past year as the Thai police are looking to update their Korean produced speed cameras. Though there will be the usual shenangans as to who will actually control and manage them, it appears that the police are in the market for speed cameras.

Every time you pay a bribe to a policeman in Thailand you have to understand that it does not all go into his pocket – only a very small part of it stays with him.

In order to get the job of stopping motorists, rather than risking his life chasing armed criminals for example, the police private has to hand over the majority of his take to the Sergeant who gave him the easy job – that’s the fat guy sleeping in the car under the shade. In return for THAT easy job the Sergeant has to hand over so much money per day to his Lieutenant, who in turn hands over most of it to his Captain in the hope that one day he, the Captain, will recommend the Lieutenant for promotion, the Captain passes it on again to his superior in thanks for his promotion or possibly in thanks for not being posted to the South of Thailand - whatever. And so it goes all the way up the line, with Officers and even Government Officials at every stage taking a slice and passing the remainder onward and upward – all in return for favours given or expected from the level above.

I am not excusing the practice, it’s corruption pure and simple, however it helps to understand the “system”, if only to control ones blood pressure.

Patrick

quote - " I was the only car around and rolled passed the boys in brown at 165kph."

And probably in a pick-up that handles and stops like sh#t at anything over 100kph ! And you probably do it drunk also. Glade I don't use the same roads as you!

Oh, those poor journalists. They are supposed to know English and now they are expected to know math!

Next they will be required to actually ask probing questions.

-----------------

They don't stop you cuz you're farang. I've NEVER been stopped at the booths EVER. If you're driving a truck you'll get pulled over, but not a sedan (saloon) or an SUV. The cops will pull anybody over in a truck cuz they think they are poor and are therefore not important and therefore are more able to elicit bribes from them. But it has nothing to do with you being farang. i've driven here for 6 years and have gone through multiple cop checkpoints and never ever ever have I been stopped.

You taking something you shouldn't be? :o

Or this may be the beginning of a new era on Thai roads....fingers crossed it is...

Hardly new.

I was first caught in a radar speed trap in Thailand, back in 1987.

I invested in a radar detector and have no had a problem since. :o

PS If you are stopped it pays to ask what speed you were doing.

If they can tell you, it was a genuine setup with radar,

if not it is a scam.

You missed the best one:

Driving at 120 exceeds the legal limit of 80kph, says Lt-Colonel Dussadee Sukarasape