Anyone Been In Hcmc As Of Late?

gpdjohn

Heading to HCMC ( Saigon ) in a few weeks and haven't been there since 1975.

Has anyone been there in the last year ??

Advise on things to do and things to not do...

Good food stops, drink stops, etc..

Just want to see some old haunts, eat some good chow and leave with different feelings than when I left the last time.

I haven't been for a few years, but some of the food is fantastic in Saigon and Hanoi - local, Western and others - but you have to know where to go. Most of the backpacker places suck, so don't bother with them or restaurants recommended by Lonely Planet Guide. Some of the more upmarket guides like Fodors tell you about MUCH better eating places that are just slightly more expensive.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Hey GDP. Don't limit yourself to the tiny sampling of members in CM who might have gone there. You need to get this moved to the general or travel forums to get lots of updated and useful info. I'm all in support of talking to locals to get to know the local community, but in this instance much better to go for the wider breadth of the total TV group. You might make nice friend in other cities that way too. I'd also add a subtitle as a youngin' like myself who just bern as the war was ending doesn't know what a HCMC is. I clicked on the topic thinking it was a query about a home-improvement complex. If you mentioned specifically in the subtitle 'Vet Returning to Vietnam/ Hanoi etc' you'd get alot more feedback. I'm also curious to hear other vets chime in on their making a re-visit over there and what their feelings were. Actually just did some simple math and maybe you aren't a vet... but oh well, interesting either way you slice it - a look at 80's Vietnam, or returning vets and where to go.

GP,

Go to Texas BBQ (15/1 Le Thanh Ton). Its probably the number one place for Americans gathering. Good food, cold beer, and you can get some direction on where to go from there.

As for advice, relax, and enjoy yourself.

GP,

Go to Texas BBQ (15/1 Le Thanh Ton). Its probably the number one place for Americans gathering. Good food, cold beer, and you can get some direction on where to go from there.

As for advice, relax, and enjoy yourself.

Relax & enjoy...yes, that I plan on!

Staying at the Thang Long hotel...seems like a good spot and close to all the sightseeing spots and food areas..I'm excited and can hardly wait to see it again...of course it was Tu Do Street then.. :o

Gracias SoCal from the AZ guy..( who wishes I coulda lived in SDiego!)

GP,

Yeah, you're definitely right down town. Lots of good places in walking distance.

Texas is about two blocks north, and two blocks east of your hotel. The owner is Wayne, a real nice guy, and he will surely give you some pointers on where to go.

If I can help you in the mean time, don't hesitate to ask.

De nada, from an LA guy who spent a year in Diego, had dreams of Thailand, and some how made it to Saigon.

I was there during Chinese New Year / Tet this year - really enjoyed it. It was the 40th Anniversary of the Tet Offensive so there were banners etc commemorating it.

Great food and very cheap - I found it hard to spend money and I can shop like a girlie

Hey GDP. Don't limit yourself to the tiny sampling of members in CM who might have gone there. You need to get this moved to the general or travel forums to get lots of updated and useful info. I'm all in support of talking to locals to get to know the local community, but in this instance much better to go for the wider breadth of the total TV group. You might make nice friend in other cities that way too. I'd also add a subtitle as a youngin' like myself who just bern as the war was ending doesn't know what a HCMC is. I clicked on the topic thinking it was a query about a home-improvement complex. If you mentioned specifically in the subtitle 'Vet Returning to Vietnam/ Hanoi etc' you'd get alot more feedback. I'm also curious to hear other vets chime in on their making a re-visit over there and what their feelings were. Actually just did some simple math and maybe you aren't a vet... but oh well, interesting either way you slice it - a look at 80's Vietnam, or returning vets and where to go.

'preciate the input, but if I was returning to Vietnam and said that I hadn't been there since 1975, maybe you'd a thought I was hangin' round with Hanoi Jane, that scum..

Since you were just being born then, why would you say, "maybe you aren't a vet"...who else do you think was there during that time...tourists???? NOPE, not quite. Some contractors were..but not tourists.. What simple math did you use???? Before you answer that, yes, there were still US troops stationed there, until 30 April 1975.

"80's Vietnam"... humm...don't think the country was open to anyone then... except Russians..

But I do 'preciate your input, really I do.

:o