Stray Animals On Kpg

being very softhearted when it comes to animals, i became sort of the local animal care place for thong nai pan yai (KPG) in the past few years. it is a thankless job. i probably took care of a few dozen animals in the time i was there, most of whom died horribly. the thais' approach (or lack of) to what is a serious problem on the island is nothing less than despicable. it amazes me how unmoved they are by the suffering of stray dogs especially, and that their only answer to the problem seems to be mass poisonings. very buddhist of them, yes.

in the end i had to abandon my pets as no one on the island in 2 years of asking would re-home them. even PAC would not (could not?) help. this is my problem, i realize, but i have never been one to stand by and watch suffering, and i do not regret giving 3 dogs a couple of great years in a loving home. unfortunately, it breaks my heart not knowing if they will starve to death or die of some horrible disease or poisoning. the odds are definitely against them.

the point of my post is, please contribute what you can. please donate to PAC so they might actually be good for something other than emergency treatment at some point. please spay the neighborhood dogs. please don't let them suffer any more than they have to- it's not so hard to throw out an occasional bone or a pat on the head or a deworming pill in a bit of meat. please stop being blind to this problem. dogs are more loving and loyal than people and should not be left to suffer.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

being very softhearted when it comes to animals, i became sort of the local animal care place for thong nai pan yai (KPG) in the past few years. it is a thankless job. i probably took care of a few dozen animals in the time i was there, most of whom died horribly. the thais' approach (or lack of) to what is a serious problem on the island is nothing less than despicable. it amazes me how unmoved they are by the suffering of stray dogs especially, and that their only answer to the problem seems to be mass poisonings. very buddhist of them, yes.

in the end i had to abandon my pets as no one on the island in 2 years of asking would re-home them. even PAC would not (could not?) help. this is my problem, i realize, but i have never been one to stand by and watch suffering, and i do not regret giving 3 dogs a couple of great years in a loving home. unfortunately, it breaks my heart not knowing if they will starve to death or die of some horrible disease or poisoning. the odds are definitely against them.

the point of my post is, please contribute what you can. please donate to PAC so they might actually be good for something other than emergency treatment at some point. please spay the neighborhood dogs. please don't let them suffer any more than they have to- it's not so hard to throw out an occasional bone or a pat on the head or a deworming pill in a bit of meat. please stop being blind to this problem. dogs are more loving and loyal than people and should not be left to suffer.

in phuket they want to make micro chipping dogs the law and if u take a street dog under your wing then the person who does this becomes responable for micro chipping the dogd. does anyone know wher i can micro chip my dog in samui. do they even have a micro chip card reader out here.

i don't like it also when the owners of dogs let there dogs run round near road and walk fre will round the street ready to eather get run over or bite a small child.

personally i reckon the street dogs should be put down because they are open to bit people and arfe likey to not be injected there for not have a vaccination jabs.

island seriously needs to clean up the mess of dead street dogs which means getting ride of the strays and making it the law for people to keep dogs in fenced off zones :o

personally i reckon the street dogs should be put down because they are open to bit people and arfe likey to not be injected there for not have a vaccination jabs.

island seriously needs to clean up the mess of dead street dogs which means getting ride of the strays and making it the law for people to keep dogs in fenced off zones :o

A few google search will point you to articles that mentioned that "Putting Down street dog" is not the best long term solution.

Spraying and Nutering dogs seems to be the recommended method for long term management of stray dog.

Search for Thai AGA and their mobile clicnic.

There are fundraisers occasionally for PAC but they are always desperate for funds anyway. It would be nice if they could eventually become a fully functional hospital and shelter. The best thing you can do to help is spay the female dogs around you.

micro chip is a big risk for health of dog, find out with google.

Aye this is true, so is that flea and tick crud frontline and most dog foods. Too bad people ignorantly fill their dogs up with it.

It always makes me sad to hear of suffering animals, and it's really disheartening to read that no one gives a dam_n about them, and just want to poison them.

Does this PAC organization have a website of sorts for donations?

Edited by RedneckHippie

girlx... sorry, but you are not much better than the ppl you accuse in your post. after taking care for your dogs for years throwing them on the street and leaving them by themselves to be able to continue your life somewhere else.. is that not selfish?

you accuse others not wanting to take care for your dogs after you left for new grounds. you knew this long ago and could have become active in many ways to secure the life of your dogs. if you are so disturbed about the dog life in kpn and that there is not much done about it (apart from PAC) why did you not try to do sth yourself or become active in any way?

years ago i was in a similar situation - no more job, no more money to feed the dogs i had rescued so far. for me leaving them behind to their fate never was an option i would have considered. so i moved heaven and hel_l to get help for my animals! and i found wonderful people who helped me to give these dogs a safe and nice life. since then i have taken in many more and even built a new place only just for them.

so it is possible but you need to have the same love and loyalty as the dogs have (as you say) to your animals and not give up.

sorry, but you are not much better than the ppl you accuse in your post. after taking care for your dogs for years throwing them on the street and leaving them by themselves to be able to continue your life somewhere else.. is that not selfish?

you accuse others not wanting to take care for your dogs after you left for new grounds. you knew this long ago and could have become active in many ways to secure the life of your dogs. if you are so disturbed about the dog life in kpn and that there is not much done about it (apart from PAC) why did you not try to do sth yourself or become active in any way?

yes well i came to a point where i either had to actually go back to school and become a vet or turn into one of those ladies with 35 dogs (like you) and nothing else in my life, or give them up for the sake of my own future! there were other circumstances which made me decide it was time to leave thong nai pan. like i said i looked for a couple years for anyone to take my dogs, and everyone refused. there is not much else i could do! i am going to amsterdam for a job! hence this post to get people to support PAC (not sure why we aren't allowed to say that here) so at least in the future maybe they could be of some help in this situation.

besides, they were street dogs to begin with.

Edited by girlx

hence this post to get people to support PAC (not sure why we aren't allowed to say that here)

Because of this forum rule:

"8) All advice voluntarily given by any member in any of the fora which constitute thaivisa.com is provided free of charge, and it is not permitted to either solicit for, or accept, donations, gifts etc. for providing such advice to visitors and members. Likewise, it is not permitted to either steer, or promote, or solicit people to go to locations or businesses in which it is necessary to pay for services or assistance with the exception of thaivisa.com sponsors, who may reasonably promote themselves."

Animals, even domesticated ones are very well capable to take care of themselves... and of their needs unless they are badly injured!

How about the recent Cyclone and Earthquake victims, children, old people... isn't it much more to worry about, then a couple of stray dogs..?

So which is it? Are you going to become a vet or take a job in Europe? For the sake of any animals that cross your path please leave them alone. You are part of the problem not the solution. Now there are three more homeless dogs on the island thanks to you and you selfish character. Best of luck to you but please do not adopt any more animals until you are responsible enough to take care of them.

Animals, even domesticated ones are very well capable to take care of themselves... and of their needs unless they are badly injured!

what bs!!! how would they be able to take care of themselves?? if not run over by a car in the next minute they would become a nuisance to people and get sick of malnutrition and parasites etc.

this is exactly how anyone thinks here in thailand and that is why there are so many strays and so many animals in need :o

How about the recent Cyclone and Earthquake victims, children, old people... isn't it much more to worry about, then a couple of stray dogs..?

there are many things to worry about in the world and everyone can help where he wants and can.

what bs!!! how would they be able to take care of themselves?? if not run over by a car in the next minute they would become a nuisance to people and get sick of malnutrition and parasites etc.

this is exactly how anyone thinks here in thailand and that is why there are so many strays and so many animals in need :o

there are many things to worry about in the world and everyone can help where he wants and can.

I am just straight forward, it is all over the Animal Kingdom the same thing, it regulates itself!

Healthy Animals will cope with parasites and injuries well and will survive - "survival of the fittest" its a law of nature!

I had several encounters where people started to feed and "take care" of some of these creatures whilst on holidays, residing in a resort I managed, once these animals got used to the "feeding hand" they stooped looking after themselves and waited, and waited in front of the homes/bungalows door, after the "feeding hand" went back home - what is more cruel?

There are Institutions one can make donations on Samui the "Samui Dog Rescue".

There donated money is channeled in the right directions... neutering for example is a very good means to control the exploding population of "temporarily adopted" animals, which are mostly dogs and cats.

As they also can become a health issue, as carriers of rabies , worms and various other diseases.

So which is it? Are you going to become a vet or take a job in Europe? For the sake of any animals that cross your path please leave them alone. You are part of the problem not the solution. Now there are three more homeless dogs on the island thanks to you and you selfish character. Best of luck to you but please do not adopt any more animals until you are responsible enough to take care of them.

I will thank you not to judge me as you don't know the whole story and you are missing the point of my post.

Like I said, I took care of a few dozen animals in the time I spent on KPG. I ended up narrowing it down to 3 dogs who I let stick around. 2 of these were street dogs- one was dying when he came to me and I nursed him back to health over a year. One was the mother of 9 puppies, who was starving when she came to me so I took care of her and her pups until all the pups died of Distemper. The other is one which I took in as a baby and who could not survive on her own. I spayed and neutered these 3.

The inherent debate (and the point of this post) seems to be: is it better to look away when you see something suffering, or to do what you can, while you can, to help? I chose the latter in every case, until it became too much to handle for one girl with no medical training. I do not regret helping any of the animals that I helped to feel better, gave food, and made a warm place to sleep for, for 4 years. But I did not intend to live in Thong Nai Pan for the next 10 years or so until these animals finally died.

So all along, I put up flyers with pictures of my one dog who was spoiled since a baby, all over the island. I put posts all over the internet. I asked PAC to help me re-home her. I asked every single long term farang and most Thais that I knew if they would take care of her in the future. Everyone refused. Finally at the very last minute an Israeli family agreed to take her (bless them), and so I left her with them, which was heartbreaking, believe me. Since then she has run back to my house, where she is staying. I just heard from a friend that the family has found her and will continue to take care of her. She is the one I feel responsibility for, as I took her in as a baby. I live a very mobile life and do not have a home base. TNP is the longest I have ever stayed anywhere in my life. There is not a chance of my taking the dogs to live elsewhere as I do not have a stable place to take them.

No one was interested at all in taking on 2 adult street dogs. Can't blame them. So they had to go back to the street. At least now they are healthy so they have an advantage, and they are still in their territory, where they are familiar with where to find scraps or they can charm their way with the neighbors. I could have thrown them at the temple where they would have to fight off packs of dogs to get at meager food offerings (I know from experience the monks are not likely to feed them regularly). I could have also left them to die in the beginning.

But the whole point is- there is no animal shelter or animal welfare organization on the island. So every single person who lives there needs to decide: am I going to ignore this very real problem with sick, starving animals around me or am I going to do what I can for them while I am here? I definitely believe the latter is the answer. If everyone spays one female dog, hands out deworming tablets, feeds or helps a stray in need, and donates to the one animal care place there is, things WILL improve. The Thais' approach of ignoring things IS NOT WORKING.

If you adopt an animal is forever. if not, better leave it alone.

i totally disagree with this statement. and i think everyone there needs to do what they can while they can.

You truely are the queen of evading responsibility. You know you have a transient lifestyle yet you take on a lifelong commitment with your pet, so you move on again and it is everyone else's fault but your own when you abandon your pets.

You are right I don't know everything about you but you have posted many personal threads on here so don't be suprised if someone comments on them, this is a public forum after all. If commentary upsets you then I suggest you use some discretion while posting.

Best of luck to you in Europe.

well you are certainly welcome to your opinion, but i like i said there is an inherent debate here in which i disagree with you. you seem to think ignoring the problem is the answer. i think doing what you can do while you can is the answer. both in this case had the same result- dogs on the street with no support. the difference on my side is that at least some people are trying, and if more people did that, things would get better.

Again, if you adopt an animal is forever. if not, better leave it alone. Don't think to clean your conscience just looking for a parking for your pets. If your is a "very mobile life", as you say, better don't take animals with you. I see in KPG many people keep dogs or cats for few months and just go away. So selfish...

so instead, when you see a dog sick and dying or starving, you just leave it? sorry, but i think you are a hypocrite.

You obviously don't know the meaning of the word hypocrite.

anguid said that if you are not willing to take care of the animal for life, then it's best to leave it alone.

If anguid sees a dog suffering and is not willing to take on the burden of looking after it for life, then anguid leaves it alone.

Not hypocritical in the least.

Edited by Sir Burr

it is hypocritical. either way the animal suffers. i think making an effort to help alleviate the suffering for the time that you can is better than doing nothing. this goes for any sort of suffering in any sort of being. the reason there is such a problem in the first place is because the thai culture ignores the suffering rather than doing something about it. if everyone pitched in, there would be a change.

so instead, when you see a dog sick and dying or starving, you just leave it? sorry, but i think you are a hypocrite.

GirlX,

That comment you made about Elfe before,was way out of line in my book.If the lady decides to have X amount of dogs,good on her,she dedicates time & energy to look after these animals long term .

I understand you feel strongly about animals,but look at what some of the posters said,you can't just adopt them & drop them.Sure you can help,get them to the vet's & animal shelter.As you mentioned before you have also put some time there,take my hat off.

All I can see from your posts here,is you are trying to justify your decision by way of pushing for financial aid for PAC,nothing wrong with that,but also by labeling all locals basicaly as non caring,cruel & irresponsible. Surely in contact with people, you always tend to remember the bad ones,we never remember the good ones.To generalise all Thai's as being irresponsible to animals is a very naive & silly statement on your behalf suffice to say I won't go on about all the good deeds I have seen from Thais.

Girl X Bon Voyage.

Edited by Rooo

okay if you are going to patronize me:

hypocritical- professing feelings or virtues one does not have

angiud says: "but you left the dogs on the street to suffer, you are wrong!"

yet he (she?) says: "if i see an animal suffering on the street, i will leave it, and i am right".

to me that is professing a virtue that is not there. again, you may not be able to help a dog (cat, child, etc.) over the longer term, but i do think you should offer what you can when you can. standing idly by will never lead to progress.

To generalise all Thai's as being irresponsible to animals is a very naive & sillystatement on your behalf suufice to say I won't go on about all the good deeds I have seen fro Thais.

i never once said ALL thais are like this. there are some who took their pets in to PAC and at least one of the nurses at PAC is thai and very dedicated. don't put words in my mouth. but in general, thai culture is very blind to the suffering of animals on the street. one only has to look around to see that.