Visa For An Over 50 Aged Couple

Lads, as you are all the experts around here. I thought i'd ask you on behalf of someone else. I got a PM from someone on another non Thai forum i goto occasionally. The PM is below. Can you please give me your opinion? I have asked the person to register here. So he may come on for a look. Thanks in advance guys.

Hi Jockstar, understanding from your replies in this forum, you live in Thailand for more then 5 years.

I'm Belgian and my wife(not married) is Norwegian. I'm 55 and she 50, and she has a disability pension from the Norwegian government for about US 2000 a month, and rising every year for the rest off our lives.

We are living in Goa for the last 3,5 years, and are thinking seriously about moving to Chiang Mai. Goa is completely going down the drain and she is a painpatient, so she needs a constant climate. With our (credentials !!) do you think we have a chanse to get a good visa in Thailand ?? One year at a time is good enough, because a visarun from there is not to expensive. Thanking you so much in advance

One of you can likely obtain a one year retirement extension of stay (requirement is 65k monthly or 800k in bank account or combination of the two). Without marriage the other would have to supply there own visa/extension - either with a 800k bank deposit in Thailand for previous 3 months. With marriage spouse could obtain one year extensions of stay to match the retirement extension of stay.

For visa options the best is a multi entry non immigrant O visa allowing stays of 90 days at a time for a one year period from date of issue. But the places that currently will issue such a visa are limited (Hull in UK is the most common place in/near Europe).

Yes. The Lady's 2000 a month would be borderline for the 65,000 Baht a month requirement so she would need a small amount in a Thai bank.

The Man would need 800,000 Baht in a Thai bank if he does not have the income.

It would all be renewable every year at Immigration in Thailand. No need for border runs.

Would be a lot cheaper if they were married.

Edited by Lite Beer

Lads, as you are all the experts around here. I thought i'd ask you on behalf of someone else. I got a PM from someone on another non Thai forum i goto occasionally. The PM is below. Can you please give me your opinion? I have asked the person to register here. So he may come on for a look. Thanks in advance guys.
Hi Jockstar, understanding from your replies in this forum, you live in Thailand for more then 5 years.

I'm Belgian and my wife(not married) is Norwegian. I'm 55 and she 50, and she has a disability pension from the Norwegian government for about US 2000 a month, and rising every year for the rest off our lives.

We are living in Goa for the last 3,5 years, and are thinking seriously about moving to Chiang Mai. Goa is completely going down the drain and she is a painpatient, so she needs a constant climate. With our (credentials !!) do you think we have a chanse to get a good visa in Thailand ?? One year at a time is good enough, because a visarun from there is not to expensive. Thanking you so much in advance

I think I have just replied to this guy on another forum (britishexpats) and said he should look at thaivisa. I'll post a link on the other website. I'm sure it's the same guy.

I think I have just replied to this guy on another forum (britishexpats) and said he should look at thaivisa. I'll post a link on the other website. I'm sure it's the same guy.

It is mate. No need to post the link.

I was hoping the member would pop in.

Hi Jockstar, sorry for the delay, but now i did pop in!

We can forget the retirementvisa, because we don't have 65K Bath yet, only 60K, and we defeniteli don't have 800K !

So i was thinking if there is a possibillity to get a 3 month tourist, and teh we just have to go for a visarun. I understand it is a lot cheaper from Thailand then it is from Goa ? Would this be posssible?

Also would it be possible to get that kind of visa from within India, instead of having to travel halfway the globe to Belgium and Norway just for that?

Thanks, Ray & Jane

1. You can not obtain a tourist visa in Thailand - and the prices is normally the same (exchange rate considerations) everywhere.

2. You do not need 800k or 65k - you can use a combination of the two for retirement extensions of stay. Once one party has such an extension of stay the legal spouse can obtain a non immigrant O visa and then extend for the same period of time.

3. So have her open a bank account in her name only with about 100k in it (to cover 800k/monthly income shortfall for one year) and age 3 months - after that she can obtain retirement extension of stay and you can then obtain the matching spouse extension of stay.

Until then you can your tourist visa and visa exempt entry. Vientiane is currently allowing 2 entry tourist visa issue which would more than cover the period of time you need.

I was hoping the member would pop in.

Hi Jockstar, sorry for the delay, but now i did pop in!

We can forget the retirementvisa, because we don't have 65K Bath yet, only 60K, and we defeniteli don't have 800K !

So i was thinking if there is a possibillity to get a 3 month tourist, and teh we just have to go for a visarun. I understand it is a lot cheaper from Thailand then it is from Goa ? Would this be posssible?

Also would it be possible to get that kind of visa from within India, instead of having to travel halfway the globe to Belgium and Norway just for that?

Thanks, Ray & Jane

The man could get the I year retirement extension with his 60,000 Baht pension PLUS around 80,000 Baht in a Thai bank.

Tourist Visas only give you 2 months but can be extended for a further 30 days inside Thailand at a cost of 1,900 Bht.

You would then have to go outside Thailand and get another Tourist Visa from a Thai Embassy somewhere.

Or hop over the border and get a 30 day stamp. This can only be done for a total of 90 days in a 6 month period.

Get Married then all your problems would be over :o

Visa wise anyway

Edited by Lite Beer

The man could get the I year retirement extension with his 60,000 Baht pension PLUS around 80,000 Baht in a Thai bank.

Sorry . It is Jane getting the pension.

She could get the years extension with no border runs.

Ray would have to make 3 monthly border runs to get another Visa.

I know in India where you are now a Visa gives you 6 months. Not so Thailand.

Sorry this maybe a little out side of what this string is about.

What is the formula between amount of money in the bank and monthly income?

Say if you had $1500 a month income how much do you have to have in the bank account?

It has to add up to the equivalent of at least 800k Baht. From paragraph 7.21 of Police Order 606/2549:

(3) Proof of income of not less than

Baht 65,000 per month; or

(4) Account deposit with a bank in

Thailand of not less than Baht

800,000 as shown in bank

account transactions for the

past 3 months; or

(5) Annual income plus bank

account deposit totaling not less

than Baht 800,000 as of the

filing date of application

--

Maestro

Sorry this maybe a little out side of what this string is about.

What is the formula between amount of money in the bank and monthly income?

Say if you had $1500 a month income how much do you have to have in the bank account?

We can't even tell how much $1500 is. The amount is Thai baht so there is an exchange rate involved which is subject to frequent change. The total must equal 800k per year in baht when you have to use both methods. If you can use only pension it must be 65k per month in baht.

quote litebear: "Get Married then all your problems would be over :o

Visa wise anyway"

get married then you will learn about the real problems :D

marrige wise anyway

to lopburi3: 65k times twelve month seems to be 780k only, 20k still missing (oh, amazing thailand! nothing seems to fit or follow any logic)

Edited by scyriacus