The Emporium

DJ Pat

I have mixed feelings on this place purely because ofthe folks who are in there at certain times. I hate poseurs and when I spy one of the farang variety, wearing his shades and fancy footwear, I wanna punch his lights out. Simple as that. It's not jealousy or anything but simply the need to satisfy one of my pet hates in Thailand.

Many farang expat families trapse around here usually fatherless, which means that hubby is either sleeping off a hangover after he 'sneaked' out to attend an emergency office audit or is busy at work for Shell or Goldman Sachs. The expat wives are uaually miserable looking wenches who have a hatred of Thai females in their twenties, and whenever I've sat at a table with a Thai female next to an expat wife and two brats, I always get THAT look.

I browse this place to kill time quite often, dividing my time between the Japanese book chain (can't remember the spelling), CD Warehouse and Asia Books. Cd Warehouse are so-so but are inconsistent with new releases and play Tata Young far too bloody often.

Asia Books are good and after all this time haven't stapled the News Of the World newspaper together like they do in Thai places, to deter those who treat the place as a library. My Asia Books itinery is normally: Stand there reading all the British newspapers at the counter, then do another ten pages out of Beckham's biog, then see if Q music mag is yet in stock (it is by the way with a free CD), then check all Private Eye magazines (that they have stopped selling) then finally a few pages of an obscure Lonely Planet guide, ie Turkmenstan. That kills a good 45 minutes I find.

Then there's the department store itself, with floors and floors of quality gear, from a pair of socks to a sieve and from towels to silk sheets. The top floor is the best one, where the kitchen and power stuff is. The staff bore you with the same old drab sales pitch but if you give them a hint, they'll leave you alone. They stock JBL and Denon gear too so the quality is right up there.

The kitchen stuff is good too, again high end stuff. Sieves and potato peeler are a bit pricey but if you need one (Thais don't) you'll have to pay the price. They stock fridges you could stash three bodies into and still put a months beer supply in there and hide it from the missus.

Seen a few ajarns in the Home Fresh Mart after 9pm when the meal prices go down to a third of the price. I love the pasta and chicken dishes they do. If you see me hanging around waiting for the prices to go down, say Hello.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have mixed feelings on this place purely because ofthe folks who are in there at certain times. I hate poseurs and when I spy one of the farang variety, wearing his shades and fancy footwear, I wanna punch his lights out. Simple as that. It's not jealousy or anything but simply the need to satisfy one of my pet hates in Thailand.

Why not come to Pattaya when the Navy is in town? Plenty of fancy shades and footwear. See how far you get satisfying your pet hates.

Come on DJ

You're a cheap Charlie, browsing for free every day!!!

Enjoy your life and do not care too much about other's life, indeed if I tell you what those expat ladies told me about you, you will jump from the balcony in Pattaya today:P

Why not come to Pattaya when the Navy is in town? Plenty of fancy shades and footwear. See how far you get satisfying your pet hates.

I did, and got jumped by six US marines.

That piri piri place is very tasty indeed, apart from ther Greek salad.

Cd Warehouse are so-so but are inconsistent with new releases and play Tata Young far too bloody often.

Asia Books are good and after all this time haven't stapled the News Of the World newspaper together like they do in Thai places, to deter those who treat the place as a library. My Asia Books itinery is normally: Stand there reading all the British newspapers at the counter, then do another ten pages out of Beckham's biog,

"Bloody often?" "British newspapers?" Where are you from? Are you not Thai?

If you harbor such nasty feelings for the place, simply stop going there. Thats the great thing about freedom of choice. You can decide!

You know, sometimes I think you are much worse even than Harry Palmer. What made him alright was that he was just ramping people up for the fun of it, but you appear to be serious. If you need to judge people by the way they look, fine. If you don't like the Emporium, then why do you spend time there? I like it there, and one of the reasons is for the people watching.

I have mixed feelings on this place purely because ofthe folks who are in there at certain times. I hate poseurs and when I spy one of the farang variety, wearing his shades and fancy footwear, I wanna punch his lights out. Simple as that. It's not jealousy or anything but simply the need to satisfy one of my pet hates in Thailand. bla bla bla etc etc etc zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

you're rubbish you are. do yourself a big favour and go home.

i like the three rows of high backed chairs, upholstered in spotless white cotton , (with a couple of perfectly mannered attendant jeeves-like flunkeys in matching head to toe white ) , down in the grubby bowels of the emporium car park , that are thoughtfully provided for priviledged shoppers to sit on as they wait for their cars to be brought round by their drivers to pick them up.

such convenience , such service , reminiscent of a sadly bygone age . :o

amazing thailand.

something new everyday, for me its the The Emporium, where is it, i would love to go and see what all the fuss isnt about.

Too expensive, do not bother... :o

You want expensive? Try Gaysorn Plaza :D:D:D Never seen anyone actually inside the shops, but it's a good, air-conditioned short cut from Chid Lom BTS station to Central World Plaza. :D

You know, sometimes I think you are much worse even than Harry Palmer.

Is Harry Palmer the "troll" reference these days, Mbkudu...? :D

I would say HP sets a very good standard.

Yes, Harry even started a thread with his own name in the title. Can't think of anyone else who would be so self-promoting or egotistical. :o

something new everyday, for me its the The Emporium, where is it, i would love to go and see what all the fuss isnt about.

Too expensive, do not bother... :o

You want expensive? Try Gaysorn Plaza :D:D:D Never seen anyone actually inside the shops, but it's a good, air-conditioned short cut from Chid Lom BTS station to Central World Plaza. :D

I also discovered that nice air-conditioned dash through Gaysorn . The problem is I always get lost ! I have always wondered how they can stay open . I guess if they sell one thing a month their good

The Emporium is on Sukhumvit near soi 22 great place for shopping and people watching with my bloody mary .

I also discovered that nice air-conditioned dash through Gaysorn .

Gaysorn is another place that amazes me in the fact that as someone already mentioned, nobody seems to buy anything at all.

And as regards to me being so serious, the simple fact is, I'm not.

...I also discovered that nice air-conditioned dash through Gaysorn . The problem is I always get lost ! ...

My exact problem too! Do you go up a floor or down a floor to get to World Trade Centre (sorry, "Central World Plaza")? And they very cleverly make the sign to the walkway over the road to CWP almost unreadable. Almost as if they don't want you to use their plaza as a short cut! :o:D:D Som nam naa!

That's what I thought :o when I read this. It is quite jokey, jokey, haha. Next time I wear my specs and fancy shoes and you're there, take your best shot and then your girlie can pick your teeth up off the polished floor for you :D . All in jest mate.

My exact problem too! Do you go up a floor or down a floor to get to World Trade Centre (sorry, "Central World Plaza")?

I dont remember ! :o

Sometimes I walk out and I am at the bridge that goes over the street to Central World Plaza and sometimes I walk out and im at street level and have to cross it .

Very weird .