Farang Feet And Thai Culture

laphroaig

Ok, I need some practical help here regarding the issue of the feet.

I am blessed with a pretty stocky frame, but specifically my legs. The result of this is that although I am a very fit guy, I find it practically impossible to sit with my legs crossed. The lower and upper leg muscles just get in the way.

On reading other threads concerning this I want to know how serious the pointing of the feet actually is. What prompted the question was a thread about what mistakes were made when we first integrate in Thai culture.

Last visit in February I attended a cultural show in Chiang Mai and was one of those who was given a bit of carpet to sit on for my meal rather than at a table. I had no option other than to tuck one leg underneath me but the other had to point straight ahead :o . I tried kneeling but that was really uncomfortable. Without doubt, my foot was well and truly aimed at the next group of people. Nothing was said and in fact I only think about it now so they may not even have noticed or been concerned but I would like to know the reality of this situation so I don't stuff up.

Thanks

I think it is more meant as “intentionally” pointing at someone or something with your foot. Since if you are in a large group of people chances are your feet are going to point at someone as is theres.

^ Agreed. The only time it was an issue with me was when I pointed at something being sold on the sidewalk with my foot. The person selling the goods was somewhere behind me, thus nobody to offend, so I pointed at an item with my foot as my hands were full. Apparently I offended the 10 baht junk being sold as I got a good slap from the TGF and haven't done it since. Woof.

As above, i dont point at something or someone with my feet, and i am especially careful when around monks or Buddha statues. But for general day to day, i believe it really isnt worth getting hung up on. As long as you are not being obviously disrespectful in some way i am sure noone will take offense. If they do, i think they are being a tad extreme.

I have also seen Thai pointing feet in various directions..so i wouldnt worry about it. :o

(If how you sit (or other positions) really do worry you, you could learn some stretching and/or yoga techniques to help your body to try adjust to cross-legged sitting).

Ok, I need some practical help here regarding the issue of the feet.

I am blessed with a pretty stocky frame, but specifically my legs. The result of this is that although I am a very fit guy, I find it practically impossible to sit with my legs crossed. The lower and upper leg muscles just get in the way.

On reading other threads concerning this I want to know how serious the pointing of the feet actually is. What prompted the question was a thread about what mistakes were made when we first integrate in Thai culture.

Last visit in February I attended a cultural show in Chiang Mai and was one of those who was given a bit of carpet to sit on for my meal rather than at a table. I had no option other than to tuck one leg underneath me but the other had to point straight ahead :o . I tried kneeling but that was really uncomfortable. Without doubt, my foot was well and truly aimed at the next group of people. Nothing was said and in fact I only think about it now so they may not even have noticed or been concerned but I would like to know the reality of this situation so I don't stuff up.

Thanks

I recommend pilates, yoga or eden club..3 times a week. Guaranteed to increase your flexibility. :D

I asked a well to do Thai chick about this feet malarkey and she was vaguely aware of it but people couldnt really care less about it, just one girls opinion. So long as you dont use feet for kicking people i think youll be ok.

Years ago, a friend's mother, a nephew and a few others came to BKK and needed to spend the night in our one room apartment. His mother was a bit upset because the way the bed was positioned had our heads pointing to the bathroom--that was a no-no, then we all had to sleep so that no one's feet were pointing at anyone. It was a relatively large room, but God it was difficult getting everyone positioned to her liking!

More superstitious nonsense upheld in the name of "Thai culture". Aside from not kicking people or animals, I don't worry about what to do with my feet or in what direction they are pointed. I tend to avoid situations where I am required to sit on hard surface floors for more than a five minutes.

I also try to avoid situations where I have to sit on the floor for more than 5 mins.

But it happens. In my experience pointing your feet is no big deal, attempting to show respect is enough.

Many years ago when I first arrived in Thailand I ended up having lunch with a friend and bunch of bar girls. I was sitting uncomfortably, moved and sat with my feet pointing at one of the girls. A big deal was made of it, I was made to feel bad and as though I’d done something very seriously wrong, I didn’t really enjoy dinner because of it and made a hasty exit. In my opinion they were far more impolite and made a larger Social Faux Pas to me than I did to them.

I’ve been in some similar situations since with people of a similar socio-economic level to myself and done the same thing without issue or comment. I’ve double checked later and been told not to worry about it, everyone gets uncomfortable, it’s going to happen.

In short as I understand it, manners are manners, understanding is understanding. I see a huge overlap in manners whereby simply the intention to make effort and be polite is enough for people to recognise.

In my experience, within reason minor social faux pas are a non-issue and if someone wishes to make a criticism in front of others they are showing their lack of candor and class. However I’ve been thankful for a discrete and polite comment in the ear, or a flash of the eyes to correct my posture of the hands at a funeral etc…

Edited by richard_smith237

The "not pointing your foot"-thing is a small thing to be aware of and will help you integrate into society.

If you do not care about this you will more than likely be seen as a barbarian. Pointing your feet is an insult in Thailand, and there's no need to make a bad first impression.

If you drop paper money or coins never stamp your foot on it to stop it rolling or blowing away, be prepared to lose it.

This is a commonplace thing to do in farangland, so make sure that you can control your natural instincts.

I don't know if it is technically illegal, but your personal health will probably suffer if you do it in the wrong place.

This is the most important rule regarding feet in Thailand.

I see the "we-B-thai" faction is out in full force today with their mindless sock puppet remarks about the totally overblown assessment of "foot fox paws" or should I say “mindless foot etiquette” here in the glorious "Land 'O Thais".

your personal health will probably suffer if you do it in the wrong place.

I've never paid the slightest bit of attention to the direction my feet point, or who they pointed at. I've stepped on countless rolling thai coins to stop their errant travels, and have never had my 'personal health' suffer the slightest in any of those situations. Usually the thais are only too happy to watch a coin and return it to the rightful owner. I have seen countless people in grocery stores return the smallest coins to the person who dropped it.

I used to carry an American quarter that I'd drop now and then just to wind up the thais when I stomped on it saying in thai, "It's an American coin, America doesn't have a king and the person on this coin is dead already".

I also usually let one foot hang down on the escalator so that thais won't crowd me, as it's effective in keeping them back. A good phrase to learn is;

People from American aren't afraid of the bottom of feet like thais are."

คนมาจากอเมริกาไม่กลัวฝ่าเท้าแบบคนไทย.

I see the "we-B-thai" faction is out in full force today with their mindless sock puppet remarks about the totally overblown assessment of "foot fox paws" or should I say “mindless foot etiquette” here in the glorious "Land 'O Thais".
your personal health will probably suffer if you do it in the wrong place.

I've never paid the slightest bit of attention to the direction my feet point, or who they pointed at. I've stepped on countless rolling thai coins to stop their errant travels, and have never had my 'personal health' suffer the slightest in any of those situations. Usually the thais are only too happy to watch a coin and return it to the rightful owner. I have seen countless people in grocery stores return the smallest coins to the person who dropped it.

I used to carry an American quarter that I'd drop now and then just to wind up the thais when I stomped on it saying in thai, "It's an American coin, America doesn't have a king and the person on this coin is dead already".

I also usually let one foot hang down on the escalator so that thais won't crowd me, as it's effective in keeping them back. A good phrase to learn is;

People from American aren't afraid of the bottom of feet like thais are."

คนมาจากอเมริกาไม่กลัวฝ่าเท้าแบบคนไทย.

Truly the 'Ugly American'.

As you are aware the king's head is on all coins & banknotes, as you may or may not be aware the monarchy is the most revered institution in Thailand.

Your ignorance & total lack of respect will get you into trouble one day & deservedly so.

Ignorant, obnoxious, arrogant & stupid. You have managed to demonstrate all these traits in one short post.

Good luck, I suspect that you will need it one day.

If you drop paper money or coins never stamp your foot on it to stop it rolling or blowing away, be prepared to lose it.

This is a commonplace thing to do in farangland, so make sure that you can control your natural instincts.

I don't know if it is technically illegal, but your personal health will probably suffer if you do it in the wrong place.

You should not step on Thai money because the King's picture is on it. That is a valid reason.

However, don't step on cracks in the sidewalk, don't walk under ladders, don't cross the path of a black cat, don't break any mirrors, close the windows at night because the bad spirits will come in. Be careful during the full moon. Any others?

Any others?

Try finding the 13th floor in an American building.

Thai feet related.... don't step over people, go around them.

It just goes to show that Thais don't have a monopoly on superstition, even the so-called more 'advanced' societies have a multitude of irrational beliefs.

Hi :o

It's lack of education. Shortly after arriving here, i had almost a fight with my boyfriend - reason: Washing clothes, and hanging them for drying. The offending item? A pair of socks! Under no circumstances whatsoever should socks be hung for drying in a way they hang higher than one's head.

No amount of telling my BF that, laid out on the floor, they wouldn't dry and wrapping them around the balcony railing will just have them blown away (which actually happened).

What did the trick? Me finding out that, as we live on the top floor of a 6-storey apartment, even when i put my socks on the floor they are well above the heads of the people on the 5th floor and any lower floor.

Ever since my boyfriend accepted THAT fact, no problems in hanging them high and getting them dry :D

Oh, and yesterday i picked up a 25-Satang coin. I wonder how many Thais have stepped on this little one as most of them wouldn't care for such a small coin. In Germany we used to say "who doesn't value the Penny isn't worth the Dollar" and also (superstition!) finding and picking up a small coin will bring luck ("Glueckspfennig" = "Lucky Penny"). As that happened to me only once (picked up a 1-Penny coin and found a 50 Mark note a few minutes later!) i keep picking up Satangs when i find them (as well as 1-Baht coins, never found a larger one, but 500 and 1.000 Baht notes on occasion). Anyway, after i picked up the little one yesterday my boyfriend told me that in Thailand the saying is reversed - "If you pick up the small coin, won't find the big one".

Screw that. When we have a kilo of Satangs we donate them to the temple anyway since nobody apart from 7-Eleven accepts them as payment for goods :D

Best regards......

Thanh

And the sacred dogs.

There is a practical reason for this - they bite.

Of course if you do contract rabies this is easily cured by chewing on some fur from the dog that bit you, or by making a poultice from said fur & binding the wound.

In the unlikely event that neither of these two remedies work you can try ingesting a formula made from "the ground-up jaw bone of an ass or dog, a piece of colt's tongue and the green rust off a penny of George the First reign."

Hopefully this puts your mind at rest when you next take a stroll down your local soi.

Finding a piece of ass is easy, but not sure where you can find a penny.

It's n overrated thing here. Go to any temple or Thai home and there will be feet pointing everywhere, as long as it isn't intentional, no problem. I have the same problem as the OP with the leg muscles, the Monks at my temple let me sit cross legged and move around a bit and it is cool with them.

Don't get caught up in the hype.

...Washing clothes, and hanging them for drying. The offending item? A pair of socks! Under no circumstances whatsoever should socks be hung for drying in a way they hang higher than one's head....

I had that trouble with my underpants hanging in the shower. The g/f wouldn't shower unless I took the underpants down. :o

There's an old story I read once about a farang couple staying in a rented condo. The road was narrow and they had a cable running across the street from their balcony (assume for holding up banners etc). The women used it as a clothes line and put out her smalls to dry out as far as she could reach. The result was that people would not walkdown the pavement/sidewalk on their side and even cars were stopping. They were unaware until the BiB knocked on their door asking them to remove the underwear as it was killing the traffic :D

When selling our house in the UK we had to make the house look viewable. Therefore, we removed all the clutter by using storage. However, we decided it would be best to dismantle he Buddha shrine we had set up in one of the spare rooms as it may be offputting for purchasers. So, carefully we boxed up the Buddhas, monk pictures, penants, string, icons and other paraphanalia. I put the box in a walk-in cupboard we had under the stairs. She was not impressed as people walk up and down the stairs. I moved them 3 foot right (same cupboard) so they were now under the upstairs hallway rather than the stairs. This was OK then as it is acceptable given that the hall is another room and the same as us having a small Buddha statue in our lounge downstairs, but the stairs are not :o .

What about "Never kick a policeman" and "No running on the expressway"?

Yes the feet issue is something to be mindful off, along with a the other things (touching people on the head, symbolically ducking your head, position and ordering of wais, wearing shoes in houses etc) but generally speaking western (and other) expats and especially tourists are cut a lot of slack, and very few people would take even mild offense at anything but blatent deliberate violation of these customs by a non-Thai. The younger the person, the less concerned they will be.

The likelihood of physical violence resulting from an accidental cultural faux pas or complete ignorance is extremely low. A polite request not to do it, or a laugh behind your back when you wai a bar girl, would be about as extreme a reaction as you'd possibly get. Stomping on a coin - it's not cool, but probably much less likely to get you beaten to death than farting in a lift. Licking a stamp on the other hand - that's an on-the-spot capital offence!

Some people really need to pull their heads out of their Lonely Planet guides. I'm hoping at least some of the posts above were very well disguised sarcasm or complex humour that went over my head.

One noteable exception - if the national anthem is playing and can be heard clearly, and you are somewhere where the vast majority of people have come to a stop, stop walking until it finishes. Slow reaction time when your off in dreamland plugged into your ipod is one thing, continuing to walk on when it becomes obvious is another. I've seen this numerous times and whilst I've never seen it come to serious conflict, arrest, or violence, it very evident that this is not tolerated well at all.