Motor Cycle Travel In Thailand

laphroaig

I am planning my next trip to Thailand and am wondering whether a motor cycle would be a cool idea for transport. My plan would be to start and finish at Bkk but I like the idea of travelling North East through Issan, into Laos, down through Laos into Cambodia and back to Bkk. I plan maybe one month for this.

My questions concern the motor cycling aspect of it and would appreciate any guidance or advice. I guess a motor cycle reasonable able to take long distances wold be good but not a large bike. I ride here in NZ and the style I like are the off road styles which I anticipate would be better in rural areas. Maybe 250-400cc maximum.

Ok, what I need to know at present can be categorised as follows.

• Is a bike hire in Bkk possible and if so any advice on where to go.
  • If not possible, I wondered about an outright purchase with a commitment from the dealer to rebuy at the end of the month (reflecting a return on the fact that I have used the bike to the seller.) Is it likely that anyone would go for this option? If so is it likely that their commitment could be trusted?
  • What do I need to legally ride a bike in Thailand in respect of licenses or tests
  • Any advice on crossing the borders on a bike?
  • Am I being stupid and unrealistic to consider this in the first place as a means of transport?

Thanks in anticipation

T

You can cross a border with a bike thats not your own, you need a letter giving permission from the registered owner and copies of thier ID etc and the green book / reg papers.. However the chance of finding a normal rental person who will let you do so are slim.

I would say a CB400 would be a good machine for your desires and are readily available here. Most roads are of an OK standard in Thailand.

Legally to ride the bike you would want an international license with the bike endorsements.

This could be done but I suspect the costs for a buy and sell dont make sense on a short vacation. Also the buy process would tie up a few days, might even need a visa you dont have (depends on the DMV office).. This would depend on if your doing a few weeks or a few months.

The GT-Rider forum has lots of info.. They also have some rental people who might work out a border crossing deal.. More enthusiast site.