Government Given 15 Days Deadline To Resolve Taxi Fare Hike

george

Government given 15 days deadline to resolve taxi fare hike

BANGKOK: -- A coalition of metropolitan Bangkok taxi drivers has given the government 15 days to respond to their demand for minimum fare increase and other welfare measures.

Groups of taxi drivers met Sunday to decide their next move, following meetings with government ministers and agencies concerned.

Withoon Naewpanij said the groups have decided to call off their original plan to rally in front of the Transport Ministry on Monday and to give the government 15 days to come up with measures to address their plight.

Among key demands called by the taxi drivers was a demand that the authorities raise the minimum fare of 35 baht for the first two kilometres, unchanged for the last decade.

In addition, the drivers ask for the authorities to regulate public taxi services in a more systematic manner,including provision of welfare benefits.

Mr. Withoon said the expectations are for the government and agencies concerned to announce concrete measures for both the short term and the long term.

If their demands are not met, the groups plan to rally over 1,000 taxies to protest at the Transport Ministry, downsize services by 30 per cent, slowing speed to no more 40 kilometres per hour and keeping lights on during the day, he said.

--TNA 2008-06-01

Supply and demand.

There is a huge excess of taxis plus drivers ergo it must be a better proposition to work as a taxi driver than many other forms of work and it must still be profitable to own a taxi as a driver or renting it out to jobbing drivers so no need to put up prices.

Economics 101.

Thailand does not need yet another cartel or monopoly.

No fare increase in ten years, for the minimum toll. Good grief, I bet you could buy a liter of petrol for 12 baht back then.

But the taxis in Bangkok run on gas, not petrol (and the cost of gas hasn't increased all that much).

As a rough estimate, I would say 10% have seat belts in the back. Try to aim for the newer taxis and you'll up your chances of getting one. Sorry off-topic from me.

Back on-topic, look at the situation in Pattaya, and even worse, Phuket and Samui when taxis are allowed to regulate themselves. Passengers are held to ransom, paying exhorbitant fares with few or no other viable options. In addition there are many occasions, particularly on Samui, when passengers are dumped in remote locations when further demands for money are not met.

I urge the Government maintain a strong regulatory control on taxi drivers and their co-operatives in the capital.

I do have sympathy for them not getting fare increases for so long but cutting back 30% of the taxis is still too many taxis in Bangkok. Just walking around the corner I get horn beeps from 5 or 6 taxis. Also I have seen lots of new taxis around lately so they can't be doing that badly. Make licences harder to get. Clean the air Thailand lets not end up like China.

Edited by LindsayBKK

The government will have to acquiesce to these increasing demands by groups. They are in a weak political position right now and dont need more groups turning on them. Already we have had the bus shutdown resulting in government concessions. We also hear that farmers are threatening to come to Bangkok en masse if the rice mortgage scheme is not reintroduced to prop up prices. Right now is a difficult economic time and there will be more and more demands for government help, and with little in terms of policies right now the government will just become reactive in agreeing to whatever is demanded of them, so I guess we get an increase in the 35 baht.

I'd say about 1% or less have working seat belts in the back, they many have the belts but just no buckles. On an average day I take 4-6 taxis around Bangkok and have done so every day for the past 10 years, I've only been in a hand full of cabs with working seat belts in the back, and I've been in hundreds where the drivers are either Drunk, Methed off thier faces or too tired to stay awake, I flew out of Bangkok last night and while on my way to the airport it started to rain pretty hard...... the taxis wind screen wipers didn't work, we were speeding along the express way.

THEY NEED TO SORT OUT A LAW FOR EVERY TAXI TO HAVE WORKING SEAT BELTS IN THE BACK.

I've had enough of putting my life in the hands of dumb/drunk/drugged/tired taxi drivers hands.

As for the rise in meter costs, yeah give them another 1baht a k/m

There are not too many taxis in Bangkok. Just try to get one on a rainy day. Where did they all go?

The taxi drivers have become increasingly wary of taking fares, and belligerent in their refusal. It's hard some days to find one to take me where I want to go. So thank goodness it's not a long wait for another to come along.

A slight fare increase to cope with the rising cost of living isn't unreasonable.

on a 35 baht fare i think most hand over a couple of twenties.....so an increase to 40 baht won't make any difference they just won't get that 5 baht as a tip they will get it on the meter...

Edited by dekka007

No fare increase in ten years, for the minimum toll. Good grief, I bet you could buy a liter of petrol for 12 baht back then.

But the taxis in Bangkok run on gas, not petrol (and the cost of gas hasn't increased all that much).

But just like everyone else their cost of living has gone up so why not an increase after ten years.

Taxi drivers are not getting rich at all these days.

My son works in Bangkok and knows a lot of them. He has told me that taxi driving became such a poorly-paying proposition last winter that some gave up.

They came home to Isaan at Songkran as usual, but have decided that they'll do better for themselves by staying at home and working in the rice fields.

Downsizing by 30% isn't enough. They clog up the roads and waste a finite natural resource by burning all day.

Just look at the Chatuchak market area: 4 lanes of traffic and at least equivalent to two lanes are filled with empty taxis wasting precious LPG or CNG.

If 70% of the taxis disappeared traffic would be much better, there would be less pollution, and there would still be enough taxis in the places that they need them.

Taxi drivers are not getting rich at all these days.

My son works in Bangkok and knows a lot of them. He has told me that taxi driving became such a poorly-paying proposition last winter that some gave up.

They came home to Isaan at Songkran as usual, but have decided that they'll do better for themselves by staying at home and working in the rice fields.

This may the one that causes the real problems to start.

agree with you gas lpg hasnt increased