Dowry

MY BIG QUESTION! Can anybody tell me if the part Dowry paid at the engagement ceremony is legally refundable as the Thai wedding is off. We married in UK and had the Thai engagement ceremony in Thailand. It's not that i would pursue this but my sweet darling informs me that the balance should be paid even though the wedding is off. Thanks.

MY BIG QUESTION! Can anybody tell me if the part Dowry paid at the engagement ceremony is legally refundable as the Thai wedding is off. We married in UK and had the Thai engagement ceremony in Thailand. It's not that i would pursue this but my sweet darling informs me that the balance should be paid even though the wedding is off. Thanks.

If you give something, then it's a gift, right? You want a gift back?

Probably the same possibility to get it back, as when lending out money in Thailand. You should not always expect it back.

T.I.T. :o

T.I.T. :o

T.I.T.V :D

Moss

Dear Gary

I assume you are the "Gary" in your moniker.

I am very worried that you are somewhat gullible when it comes to financial dealings in Thailand and you will lose your life savings.

What happens with the dowry (sin sot) and engagement gifts (kong mun) is written into the law.

My understanding is that if you get engaged and then she does something seriously wrong which makes you choose not to get married (i.e. she sleeps around after engagement) then she is legally obliged to return whatever was given at the engagement ceremony to you. In some villages the shame of such is considered so bad that the women may be asked to return two times the value of what was given.

If after the engagement the gentleman decides he does not want to go through with the marriage he does NOT have to give anything more but she may keep what was given at the engagement ceremony. He has no right to ask for its return.

If the guy does something bad after the engagement but before the wedding that convinces the woman she does not want to marry him then she may keep the items given at engagement. If however it is something small, such as he looked at her in a funny way, then that would not be sufficient reason for her to call off the wedding and keep everything given to that point.

From what I can make out of your original message, she wants you to pay her something for the fact that the wedding is not going to happen. There is NO LEGAL OBLIGATION to do so and she is simply trying it on!

• 2 months later...

You must taste bitter before sweet. But it looks to me you have started taste testing bit to early .

So Gary................how much was the sin sot/dowry? :D

If you are jai dee, a lille contribution to her parents won't hurt, but whether sin sot are paid back to the married couple from her parents will differ from place to place - family to family.

Usually this is agreed upon by the bride and her parents before the wedding :o